S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Goodbye to the S4...search begins.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
By the way, if Audi lease residuals are so bad, why am I having so much trouble finding a used S4 anywhere near the residual price?
Because the residuals have no basis in reality. Audi pushes the residual as low as possible so they can make as much money on the lease as possible. Then they get to cash in a 2nd time when they sell the car CPO / used for way over the residual. So, for example if the car has a 51% residual over a 3 year lease the lessee pays 49% + interest to use the car and then Audi turns around and sells the car for say 75% they get paid 124% for a car they would have sold for 100%. That extra 24% is pure profit. The relatively tight supply of Audi's in the US allows them to get away with this.
Round numbers... the over/under for lease versus buy is if you are going to own a car for 3yrs. I tend to own mine for 10+... current A4 is a '99.
They'll probably end up pretty similar by the time it's paid off, but you'd have to run the number to be sure.

If the residuals were more realistic the lease could be good insurance against a lemon / problematic car or allow you to dump it if it's in a serious accident and you don't want to keep it forever after that. However, with the current residuals that's just not cost effective.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you are dead set on leasing, why don't you look on swap-a-lease or one of the other leasing sites. There are always people trying to get out of their lease and you can often find great deals. They usually require nothing upfront and sometimes even have a cash incentive. You might even find a S4 or S5 that someone needs to get rid of.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is exactly what I was talking about:

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/deta...x?salid=707589
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you should take a look at the evo x.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am leaning towards buying a 2 year old car from the original owner. I looked into swapalease before and I really enjoyed driving around a tuned S4. I think I am leaning towards getting an Audi/Volkswagen with low mileage and tuning it. A TT or TTS is what I am most likely to get...small, sporty, and cheaper than an used S4. I'd rather have something totally different than the S4 since I am coming for a 4 door sedan for the last two cars I had. A late model TT with APR ECU and lightweight summer wheels would be good for me. Then if I get good enough on track I might add upgraded brakes.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyrob
This is exactly what I was talking about:

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/deta...x?salid=707589
When the $5,000 down payment is included, that $609 monthly payment becomes more like $800, which doesn't seem all that enticing. I've never understood why people make large down payments on leases.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JD15
When the $5,000 down payment is included, that $609 monthly payment becomes more like $800, which doesn't seem all that enticing. I've never understood why people make large down payments on leases.
People do that because they only look at the monthly payment, not the entire cost of the lease (monthly payments + down payment). I say keep the $5000 in your pocket and take the higher payment. It may not be budget friendly but cash is king. You could always borrow from the money you would have put down if you are struggling to make the payment.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I mean, it's the same argument to why you would go and buy out a car in cash when you can get a 1.9 % interest loan to buy it - investing 101 is to borrow low and then invest your cash to get a better return than the loan interest, and you have to be pretty darn bad not to beat 1.9% a year...

Regarding the "lease deal"... that price for 774 miles a month is not that great if you ask me -- and it's for a Premium Plus not even a Prestige model.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jfabes
i think his point was to live within your means since typcially people lease because they can't afford to buy that particular car since a lease does lower your payment significantly.

rule #1 of finance is never lease or rent anything...and i say this an an engineer, not a financial advisor
as an entrepreneur with an MBA i would argue there is plenty of things to rent- 1st 3 f's - if it fly's, floats, or F#($ rent don't buy. office space, etc. there are plenty of good things to rent or lease for cash flow sakes.

trying to lower your standard of living and leasing a new MB? IDK you'd have to show me some compelling numbers. but hey maybe only a little was needed and its for his new wife etc... I think the mental thought is when ppl say lowering standards they think about restarting at bare minimal and that is not correct.

Enjoy in great health.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to improve your financial situation and leasing a new GLK does not make sense. If you are a car nut, are screwed. Takes one to know one. =D

Quick Reply: Goodbye to the S4...search begins.