S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Good old Brake Squeal!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgfanjeff
Some updates on mine...at 1225 mi and 46f (7.7C) I made a video of mine howling and posted it on youtube with a private link. Video had the miles, speed, and temp. Took it to dealer, provided link to video and a few days later got it back after a cleaning. Of course, if dirt and dust cause the problem, cleaning would likely be a temporary fix. It was.
Three weeks later at 1568 miles, we had a cold rainy day, recorded another video of the howling. This time in the parking deck at work. 50F. Provided video again, this time, new pads and rotors on the way, we'll see. I'll report back.
Kudos for staying on the case and doing your 'due diligence' to document the issue. It's unfortunate that this dealer has pushed back on addressing the issue, but at least you're working towards a satisfactory repair. Stay on 'em, and let us know the results!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

6 months after a total brake (pads & rotors) replacement I can confirm that it does not solve the problem. It still squeals in the cold but not as much as it used to. Unfortunately, this is likely to sway my decision to get another S4. In fact I may leave Audi altogether. Pretty disappointed that they have not been able to solve this problem in 4 years.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DRAndeo
6 months after a total brake (pads & rotors) replacement I can confirm that it does not solve the problem. It still squeals in the cold but not as much as it used to. Unfortunately, this is likely to sway my decision to get another S4. In fact I may leave Audi altogether. Pretty disappointed that they have not been able to solve this problem in 4 years.
Why not just get your own pads and rotors? I know that it costs more than having the dealership replace them under warranty, but at least you would (finally) fix the problem.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^What Merlin said. Akebono makes some ceramic pads that have worked very well for me, plus you can reap the benefit of less brake dust.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got a 2011 TTS CPO and after the 2nd day it's doing it. Just like my 07 S4 Cab. I called corporate and they are looking into it.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine back yesterday. No squeal, but it wasn't 50, it was 90. I don't expect to hear anything until fall at this point. I may just swap the pads at the point, I don't have the stomach for leaving is with the dealer for a week at a time for new pads and rotors if it's not a fix. They WILL find out about it however
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

At or around 9500 miles my brakes would howl when in stop and go traffic doing less than 10mph. Like anything else I couldn't repeat this for them but my SA is decent enough to talk to me like a normal car guy. Yes it is an issue and yes they will fix it.
They turned my rotors and gave me new pads.
Personally I love the feel of the stock set up and can deal with all the dust but the howling is embarrassing and irritating.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to keep it in context.
Now at ~10K mi. Squeal is as bad as ever, and with a (relatively) cold winter in ATL, it's been horrible, like demons escaping a burning building.
Made another video, posted it with a private link on youtube. I know I could get other pads, and maybe I one day will; but for now, I want give them another shot. At a minimum, maybe they'll start disclosing this to prospective customers (yeah, right!).
It's at Audi Atlanta. Will report back...

Last edited by dawgfanjeff; 03-03-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

2014 S4 with 12,500 miles. The brakes squeak a little after the car is washed. After 2 or three stops the brakes are dry and the squeaks are no more.

It is winter and it is cold. In Colorado at 8k ft above sea level.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 02-23-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm up to 15k miles, they still squeal as loud as ever when it's below 40 degrees. Going through the hassle to fully bed the breaks only manages to calm the sound for a short period of time, so the only real fix is to replace the pads/rotors.

Luckily there are a great number of threads here and AZ for suggestions on brake kit brands.

Quick Reply: Good old Brake Squeal!