S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Since we're on topic of badges, I gotta ask...

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Since we're on topic of badges, I gotta ask...

What on earth does the standard V6T badge mean? First thing that comes to mind is that is suggesting a turbocharged 6-cylinder engine is under the hood. We all know that is not correct however. So what the heck does it stand for?!?

I couldn't even get an answer from my dealer, now that's funny. Personally I really don't like that badge and am glad mine has the Supercharged one instead, as an option of course. That is also pretty lame IMO.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi's explanation was that T meant forced induction. Personally I think they just didn't want to have to buy another letter, so they recycled it rather than having V6S, or someone would have been confused that the "6S" meant it was a model or some S6 variant.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Audi's explanation was that T meant forced induction. Personally I think they just didn't want to have to buy another letter, so they recycled it rather than having V6S, or someone would have been confused that the "6S" meant it was a model or some S6 variant.
Is there a scientific designation that I'm not aware of regarding the letter T? In fact, that description sounds like it means Turbo, no? Lol. Again, glad for the Supercharged badge instead.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
What on earth does the standard V6T badge mean? First thing that comes to mind is that is suggesting a turbocharged 6-cylinder engine is under the hood. We all know that is not correct however. So what the heck does it stand for?!?

I couldn't even get an answer from my dealer, now that's funny. Personally I really don't like that badge and am glad mine has the Supercharged one instead, as an option of course. That is also pretty lame IMO.
I'm pretty sure it stands for the type of engine that is in the S4. It is a TFSI, 3.0 l V6, and in Germany they use this term if it is a forced induction engine but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm German but sometimes you just don't understand the meaning of things. :-)
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well you've given me the best response so far
Well as you know TFSI = Turbo Fuel Stratified Injection
To me, that is still saying it's "Turbo" charged, lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Fender Badges

Please note there are NO fender badges on our new '14 Audi S4. they had to remove them to install 3M clear bra.

the T is confusing to everyone and gets in the way of cleaning. I do not miss them.

Best
Attached Images    
Old 05-19-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has nothing to do with TFSI, it has to do with Audi making the decision as I previously stated:

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/s4/2010/road-test1.html

"Don't let the fact that the 2010 Audi S4 says "V6T" on its quarter panels confuse you. This alphanumeric soup has more to do with Audi's marketing department than it does with anything going on under the hood of the new S4.

Rest assured, the 3.0-liter V6 in the 2010 Audi S4 cranks out 333 supercharged horsepower and 325 supercharged pound-feet of torque, which hit the ground via a six-speed manual transmission and standard all-wheel drive. Audi's seven-speed, dual-clutch automated manual S tronic transmission is optional.

You see, the sassy Germans running Audi's marketing department decided that "T" should be the moniker used to indicate both turbo- and supercharged engines on the fenders of all S models using forced induction. For this, Audi lacks a good explanation — offering only that the "T" is, in fact, misleading.

We agree."
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
I got tired of explaining it to people even before the car arrived so I switched to Supercharged badges on mine.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I got tired of explaining it to people even before the car arrived so I switched to Supercharged badges on mine.
lol, when I told my Neighbor my car was supercharged, he look at the V6T and then looked at me like I was dumb, "its not SC, its Turbo, guess you don't know the difference" is what I guessed was going through his mind. I had to explain Audi's dumb marketing lingo.

I don't like when car's advertise their specs, so mine are gone, to each their own though =)

Last edited by will13k7; 05-23-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Since we're on topic of badges, I gotta ask...