S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Going to check out very potential 2013 S4 P+, anyone have any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to check out very potential 2013 S4 P+, anyone have any tips?

Hello,

first post here. I've been driving and old pickup truck for 10 years and its high time for an upgrade. Ive been looking at a 2013 S4 6MT with 85k miles, which is a lot for such a young car. I can only assume the owner had a long commute to rack up that many. It has the Sport Diff, Nav, and a few cosmetic options. I'm flying to Pennsylvania to check it out next weekend and take a lengthy test drive before deciding to buy. I also have an independent inspector coming out to look at it with me since the dealer will not allow inspections at other locations.

My question to the hive mind is, is there anything I should look for? I have full service records of the car and it appears to have had all of its recommended maintenance done. Never seems to have had anything really fail, just a lot of brake and tire replacements. Start button was being funny a while ago but it was fixed with a software upgrade, and there was a coolant leak that was never diagnosed but fixed itself, but that's about it.

Any specific things to look out for? Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in PA? What dealership? I would want to know if the thermostat has been replaced in the past 10k miles. If not, it will be needed shortly. Not a matter of if ,but when. Supercharger will need to be removed to do it and when it is off,it is wise to replace the water pump and PCV which has been linked to oil consumption.Will cost you at least $1500 to do those things Oil change in SC also indicated. You will want to know if spark plugs were replaced at 65k service.At 80k serpentine belts should also have been replaced. Coolant leaks rarely fix themselves.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Where in PA? What dealership? I would want to know if the thermostat has been replaced in the past 10k miles. If not, it will be needed shortly. Not a matter of if ,but when. Supercharger will need to be removed to do it and when it is off,it is wise to replace the water pump and PCV which has been linked to oil consumption.Will cost you at least $1500 to do those things Oil change in SC also indicated. You will want to know if spark plugs were replaced at 65k service.At 80k serpentine belts should also have been replaced. Coolant leaks rarely fix themselves.
Its in Pittsburgh. From the Records, I don't see anything about a Thermostat or water pump, but there is a line item listed as PRESSURE SWITCH REMOVE+REINSTALL that was performed at 21k miles. Spark Plugs replaced at 55k service. Ill double check about the supercharger belt but the records do indicate the 75k service was completed last May '17, but doesn't go into details. I also just noticed that a wheel bearing was replaced before they put the car up for sale, along with some other basic maintenance stuff.