S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Getting MMI to display Chinese characters properly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting MMI to display Chinese characters properly?

I have a bunch of Chinese songs on my iPhone. When the iPhone is connected to MMI, everything works except that the display is not able to render the Chinese characters of the song names and such. A bunch of squares show up in place of the characters. Is this fixable?

Audi is big in China so I'd assume that they should have character encoding implemented in MMI properly, but perhaps the car shipped to the US have been configured to 'en-us' setting or some such thing?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by elam
I have a bunch of Chinese songs on my iPhone. When the iPhone is connected to MMI, everything works except that the display is not able to render the Chinese characters of the song names and such. A bunch of squares show up in place of the characters. Is this fixable?

Audi is big in China so I'd assume that they should have character encoding implemented in MMI properly, but perhaps the car shipped to the US have been configured to 'en-us' setting or some such thing?
It's not the character encoding per se but support in the font for the characters. From my tests, it supports Cyrillic (Russian) and some special characters, but not all, and not Asian characters.

The manual and other places note that other language support isn't guaranteed, so probably the only definite way to fix it is to install an Asian version of the MMI software. That or persuade AoA that it would be easy to do and would make customers happy.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks John. Missing fonts makes sense.