S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Frustrating HD Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrating HD Radio Problem

Hi All:

I've got a 2011 S4 with the B&O stereo as well as Nav. My previous car was a 2008 E90 335i that also had HD radio. I'll do my best to describe the problem, but forgive my ignorance regarding terms. I'm certainly no audiophile.

The problem I am having is with the HD option on, I am having issues with the "balance", for a lack of a better word. On some songs where there is a split in the delivery, in HD mode I am only getting one "side" of the signal. For those that are familiar, The Toadie's Possum Kingdom is a perfect example. The song starts off with a driving guitar riff, and then the vocals begin. "Make up you're mind, decide to walk with me...." The guitar track in the beginning, in HD mode, disappears. Another example is Foo Fighter's new release, Rope. Same thing occurs.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or come up with any solutions? I have tried everything regarding settings within the menu, and nothing works. At my 5K service I mentioned it to the SA, thinking he would look at me like I was crazy, but he acknowledged the problem, having received several other complaints. But, he had no solution.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks for reading this semi-long post!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am also "less than impressed" with the HD sound......as noted here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2805837

Last edited by Goony; 06-15-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Glad I found this thread... everybody else thinks I'm crazy. I have a 2011 A4. I agree with TDIII's comments. I've been describing it as some weird DSP effect going on in that in strangely amplifies some background sounds but the lead vocal, guitar, etc. gets squashed in some cases. It happens on different HD channels but not every song. But I've heard the same song on different channels doing the same thing.

Is there a customer service phone number, email address, anything that I can get a hold of someone at Audi with? My dealer looked at me like I was crazy, or that it was just a reception issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Another way to put it... imagine you setup your home theater system in 5.1 but forgot to hook up the center channel. That's almost what it's like... some DSP is converting the signal to 5.1 but the Audi HD radio is ignoring the center channel, which is why the lead seems to disappear and all you hear is the background.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haus
Is there a customer service phone number, email address, anything that I can get a hold of someone at Audi with?
I reported my MMI issues directly through this AoA form and to my dealer. Not than anything has been done about them, but AoA responded with a phone call each time to ensure they had an accurate record of the problem.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
I reported my MMI issues directly through this AoA form and to my dealer. Not than anything has been done about them, but AoA responded with a phone call each time to ensure they had an accurate record of the problem.
Had the same issues and I thought I was losing it, exactly as you described like missing the center channel, only on certain stations. I too have reported MMI issues to Audi and always get a polite but canned corporate line response from them that they are happy to look at and work on these issues, but so far no resolution. Most are minor annoyances like the MIX setting reverting and the preset setting reverting. I will also report this problem now that I know it is a problem. Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just a follow-up in the HD radio issue in my Audi A4. I was contacted by customer service, who asked me to start logging the problem. As I've been paying more attention to it, I've come to a surprising conclusion. It's simply the right channel of the original FM signal that is all but completely missing in the HD signal.

I listen to mostly classic rock, and many old songs were recorded on consoles that didn't have a pan function... so individual instruments/vocals were either patched directly to the left channel, or to the right, or both, but nowhere in between. Good examples are the Beatles - Strawberry Fields, and Neil Young - Southern Man. The right channel is gone (but sometimes you can hear bleed-in from left-channel mics, or a reverb, etc.)

This became evident when I would turn HD off and listen to the same song as it was playing on FM, and then adjust the balance left/right. It also explains why HD doesn't even sound stereo.

So, there it is. I believe it's an inherent flaw in the design or implementation of the hardware or software in the HD radio in all of these Audi head units, and not something wrong specifically with mine or yours. Unfortunately, I'm preparing for them to tell me there's nothing they can do about it... and I'm not going to have them rip apart my dash to replace it, only to have the same problem. I can only hope there's a software update that could fix it.

-Dan
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haus
Just a follow-up in the HD radio issue in my Audi A4. I was contacted by customer service, who asked me to start logging the problem. As I've been paying more attention to it, I've come to a surprising conclusion. It's simply the right channel of the original FM signal that is all but completely missing in the HD signal.

I listen to mostly classic rock, and many old songs were recorded on consoles that didn't have a pan function... so individual instruments/vocals were either patched directly to the left channel, or to the right, or both, but nowhere in between. Good examples are the Beatles - Strawberry Fields, and Neil Young - Southern Man. The right channel is gone (but sometimes you can hear bleed-in from left-channel mics, or a reverb, etc.)

This became evident when I would turn HD off and listen to the same song as it was playing on FM, and then adjust the balance left/right. It also explains why HD doesn't even sound stereo.

So, there it is. I believe it's an inherent flaw in the design or implementation of the hardware or software in the HD radio in all of these Audi head units, and not something wrong specifically with mine or yours. Unfortunately, I'm preparing for them to tell me there's nothing they can do about it... and I'm not going to have them rip apart my dash to replace it, only to have the same problem. I can only hope there's a software update that could fix it.

-Dan
Nice work, I'm sure you're right, AOA gave me some BS answer about the signal strength of the HD station varying and then it flipping back and forth between HD and regular FM. Hopefully Audi is watching this forum and will fix this
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well

Originally Posted by urojohn
Nice work, I'm sure you're right, AOA gave me some BS answer about the signal strength of the HD station varying and then it flipping back and forth between HD and regular FM. Hopefully Audi is watching this forum and will fix this
That is another problem. I get channels that flip in and out of HD constantly and the tone and volume changes, so it is really annoying.

I have just turned HD off. However, if you set a pre-set with HD, it seems to turn it back on again. I think I need to turn it off and then re-program all my presets, which I have not done yet.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys-

I've been chasing the same problem. Haus is correct in his diagnosis. HD radio in these cars is missing the right channel info; sound comes out of the right speakers but it is left channel played mono through both sides. Here's the latest and probably last episode in this saga for me:

I’ve had several interactions with my Audi dealer on this issue. As you’d expect, their initial reaction was to give me a list of standard go-away responses (HD doesn’t stand for High Def; we can’t control the quality of radio broadcasts; it’s normal; if you can hear music from the right side of the car then it’s working correctly; etc.) but I persisted. Today I went in and spent the better part of an hour with the top service guy. To his credit he was a good listener and seemed sincerely interested in getting to the bottom of the issue. With him listening I channel hopped looking for music with hard-panned right side instruments. At first he was skeptical and thought I was just being too picky but in time finally started to hear what I was describing. Then we heard a familiar CSNY song that was clearly missing a drum track. Bingo! He got it. “That could be really annoying,” he says. Yeah.

Once the service manager understood what I was talking about we went off to check other cars. It’s my wife’s 2011 A6 that got me started on this. I’m not surprised to say that when we checked another 2011 A6 it had the exact same problem. Sadly, a 2012 A7 also had the problem, meaning that even though Audi surely knows about this by now they haven’t fixed it. I’ll be in the market for a new car before year’s end and Audi was high on my list- but not until this is fixed. I told the service manager this in the hopes of increasing his sense of the importance of the issue. He promised to write it up and submit it to Audi but that’s the extent of what he can do. Clearly, swapping out the MMI or radio in this car will likely have no effect on its behavior.

So. Bummer. The work around I’m using now is to program the non-HD versions of my favorite stations adjacent to the HD versions. Then I can toggle between the two with minimal interaction. It’s not great. I am puzzled both by Audi’s not addressing this and by the relatively low level of feedback from Audi owners. The guy I saw today said he’s truly never had someone complain about it before. He gets a couple of radio complaints a day but not this, even though it’s likely that all newer Audi’s have the same problem.

That’s about all I can do at the moment. I don’t see ripping up my audio system to try to fix this. I do plan to make contact with Audi directly to express my concerns. According to the service manager: they will listen; that’s what the name Audi means. We shall see.

Quick Reply: Frustrating HD Radio Problem