S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Flat Bottom Wheel - like or dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firstblood
I like it just because it is different. In terms utility, I don't feel much advantage though compared with the round ones. It actually makes large rotation slightly less smooth.Maybe it's less an issue with active steering option.
+1 on large rotations. Does make the car look more unique and is a light-weight alternative/compromise to having powered steering wheel move out of the way for easy entry/exit (notice the last bit every time I park the car with wheels turned when the flat part is not on the bottom).

Also, haven't measured so this is purely subjective but it feels smaller in diameter compared to the previous/round one.

Off-topic: this isn't shape related (perhaps weight distribution/under steer/awd related) but it does seem to require more turning than my last BMW (not active steering) for the same corners at the same speed (come to think of it about the same degree of rotation as MDX).

At 600 miles still getting used to it
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by igord
Also, haven't measured so this is purely subjective but it feels smaller in diameter compared to the previous/round one.
Smaller diameter, thicker girth. I believe I read somewhere that it is 1" smaller in diameter.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I know im in the minority, but I love everything about the 13 vs the prior wheel - smaller, thicker, air bag cover etc - EXCEPT the flat bottom part.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

absolutely love it. some have complained about turning, but i have never had issues.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by no cell
I know im in the minority, but I love everything about the 13 vs the prior wheel - smaller, thicker, air bag cover etc - EXCEPT the flat bottom part.
Me too. Flat bottom makes getting in/out slightly easier, but feels funny on large rotations and looks funny when not centered.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A slight aside.... I rarely have a car, even after being aligned, where I can hold the steering wheel straight and the car goes perfectly straight. It always seems slightly off, and bugs me to no end. Does the flat bottom steering wheel exaggerate this, or am I the only one?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love it. Makes the older wheel seem very dated. It is also fatter and easier to hold.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It looks very nice and cool, there's no doubt. But I don't think I like it better than the rounded wheel after driving the car for a while. This is something that looks cool but not necessary functions better.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the adaptive steering so I rarely need to even swap hands much less make big rotations. Love the wheel.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love it mostly because it makes entering and exiting easier. Also love the look. Agree with comments about turns when applied (for example) to u-turns. For me, those are rare and manageable, so the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Quick Reply: Flat Bottom Wheel - like or dislike?