S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

fishtail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phil47
Sounds like you might have suffered "lift off oversteer". Did you come off the throttle just before or in the curve? Would be worse if you tapped the brakes...
this sounds exactly like what happened and makes total sense, i may have even down shifted to slow up the car and in the process most likely eased off the gas or maybe even totally let off the gas, sometimes i forget the tires need to be spinning in order for quattro to be totally effective..

thanks for the input from everyone, and yes doing 60-70 in a 30 isn't wise, but lets face it, we've all done it, whats the point of buying this incredibly amazing machine if you cant have fun with it from time to time.. if its any consolation, the the road happens to be surrounded by concrete dividers on both sides, and beyond them are no houses or anything, its a small stretch of road for only about 100 yards that winds right to left with clear visibility out in front the whole time.. i assure you everyone of you would do the same..
Old 09-19-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
my RS4 likes to get sideways. The T3 and newer cars are very capable of that. The majority of the torque is biased to the rear end of the car, and in a number of situations you can get sliding.

Nothing beats a 4 wheel slide around a corner. You can feel the car getting slightly loose. Get a little more on it if you want to scare yourself a bit. Hold it right there to keep the slide. Ease off but watch your steering if you want to calm down.

Fun stuff.
this sounds like a lot of fun but i think thats better left up to the professionals, if i had some time to ever get to a track i would certainly give it a try..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by papertrade15
thanks for the input from everyone, and yes doing 60-70 in a 30 isn't wise, but lets face it, we've all done it, whats the point of buying this incredibly amazing machine if you cant have fun with it from time to time.. if its any consolation, the the road happens to be surrounded by concrete dividers on both sides, and beyond them are no houses or anything, its a small stretch of road for only about 100 yards that winds right to left with clear visibility out in front the whole time.. i assure you everyone of you would do the same..
70 in a 30 with concrete dividers on either side? I really wouldn't have done the same.

1. The barriers tell me that whoever oversees the road expects people might lose control there.

2. I don't want to crash and destroy my car.

I can have fun in my car without being reckless.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
So let me get this straight...

You were doing over double the speed limit into a turn, the car lost traction, and you are wondering how something like this could have happened?

Do I have it right?
And what did the OP realistically expect to happen? Sheesh!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. The barriers tell me that whoever oversees the road expects people might lose control there.

2. I don't want to crash and destroy my car.

I can have fun in my car without being reckless.[/QUOTE]

..had to take a look at the posted speed limit to help clear this up and it happens to be 50 in the area .. the post wasn't whether or not i was in the right or wrong it was a question about the car fishtailing.. so thank you to those who helped, and appreciate the concern by the rest..
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
my RS4 likes to get sideways. The T3 and newer cars are very capable of that. The majority of the torque is biased to the rear end of the car, and in a number of situations you can get sliding.

Nothing beats a 4 wheel slide around a corner. You can feel the car getting slightly loose. Get a little more on it if you want to scare yourself a bit. Hold it right there to keep the slide. Ease off but watch your steering if you want to calm down.

Fun stuff.
We are in agreement on this post!

I take some very fun curves home everyday. Posted limit is 40mph there are no pedestrians (not a walkable area). Before the suspension mods I would hit those turns at 75mph now im hitting them at 85-95 and the car doesnt get tailhappy it just pulls. You must have been flying and turned in to late or snapped off the throttle creating a little oversteer. Quattro can be very forgiving. Use that gas pedal as a reistat never snap off. keep it pressed but lighten the press or mash it to pull you out of situations.

Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
We are in agreement on this post!

I take some very fun curves home everyday. Posted limit is 40mph there are no pedestrians (not a walkable area). Before the suspension mods I would hit those turns at 75mph now im hitting them at 85-95 and the car doesnt get tailhappy it just pulls. You must have been flying and turned in to late or snapped off the throttle creating a little oversteer. Quattro can be very forgiving. Use that gas pedal as a reistat never snap off. keep it pressed but lighten the press or mash it to pull you out of situations.

Enjoy!
agreed, i think a combination of an oversteer and coming off the gas a bit is what did it to me.. it was just the first time i had it happen so it took me by surprise, the car regained control within a second or two but it was a good lesson in oversteer.. ive since hit that turn a few more times doing everything the same except pulling off the pedal and the car hugs the road and shoots me out the other side no problem.. thanks for the input..
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

But with a sports differential or ads you would expect the tail to slide a bit if that was your intention and had traction control off
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by papertrade15
so had my first fishtail experience ever in an audi (driving audi 5 years).. must say it caught me by a lot of surprise, really not sure how or why it happened, i was on the way home from work through a fun windy road and going into the first turn, whether it was a combination of some fast driving and perhaps coming in too tight, but i must say i was shocked.. still not sure what exactly went wrong that i turned the car almost sideways before regaining control all within 2-3 seconds.. not sure if there was maybe an oil spot on the road or something, i hit that turn everyday on the way home from work, sometimes harder then others but still was quite taken back.. any suggestions?
You probably came off of the throttle too quickly (commonly referred to as "lifting") and sent the weight forward, while turning. Moral of the story is stay in the throttle and gently back off.

You should take a car control clinic with the BMW CCA to see what it feels like to lose control of the vehicle, and how to recover it.

Quick Reply: fishtail?