S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First Bad suprise with S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjs1975
Well we had the first real snow in NY yesterday. Driving back was perfect with the car holding well on the snow (I have the regular all season tires that are supplied by Audi on the 19's).
I got home , shoveled my driveway (very slightly inclined). I backed up the car (there was maybe tops 1/4 inch of snow), put the handbrake on, stepped out, locked the car and was walking away, when............suddenly the whole car starting sliding down the driveway and ended getting stopped by my wife's Q5 parked there........ It was dark and snowing so have not had time to assess damage yet but at this point seems like minor scratches.........so warning to all of you out there, either get snow tires (I thought all season would be sufficient but I was horribly wrong) or leave your S4 on a flat road.....
Snow tires won't stop your car from sliding down your driveway. I suggest using your garage from now on so that your vehicle remains flat ( if garage is empty ). Ice built up ( possibly black ice ) in your driveway along with your summer tires having mix temperatures + your vehicle weight + gravity.. you do the math! good thing you wife's Q5 was behind, otherwise it would've been the fire hydrant? the sidewalk? neighbor's vehicle? a tree? I would recommend you getting winter tires or all seasons but I do not believe this will stop your vehicle from going down the hill if pavement is icy. Try leaving your wheels turned next time.. that may help just a bit.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So any good advice as to what tire to buy in 19's to mount on my rims ?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

At this point in the season you will have a hard time finding winters in that size. Only a couple to chose from and when I was kicking that option around were sold out. Remember 19" winters are going to be better than summers for sure, but with less sidewall not as good as 18" setup..
Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Blue Audi S4
Indeed, your tires were hockey pucks given the temps here in the NE and the fact you were driving in snow which probably also packed into the treds. Pickup some snow tires and quick!
JON, Long time since I have seen your posts. BTW, I order my new B8 S4 from ROB J who is now with Holberts(soon to be Thompson) Had a discussion about your 04. He told me that he felt Audi should have bought back your car. BTW, not many of the old B6ers left other than Sia and I both and both of us are driving a 335i. Many left AW for QW when AW changed their format. Thinking about returning to Audi?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well you know how it is. They made a business discision and stuck with it. I at least have to give them credit on consistency. In the end it didn't work out for them but I can not fault them for that. Three years ago I would have but a lot of time has past and I am a much different person then I was back then. I need to reconnect with Rob, it has been a long time. I have been driving a LR3 V8 for the past 3 years and it has been very good. Not without small problems here and there, but overall a great daily driver. Plus it has loads of space. We are getting a new car for the wife and we will probably split time in the new car and the LR3. Should we get the S I will probably drive it more but who knows. But yes Gary I am really thinking about a return to the rings.

BTW How is your daughter :-)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
Snow tires won't stop your car from sliding down your driveway. I suggest using your garage from now on so that your vehicle remains flat ( if garage is empty ). Ice built up ( possibly black ice ) in your driveway along with your summer tires having mix temperatures + your vehicle weight + gravity.. you do the math! good thing you wife's Q5 was behind, otherwise it would've been the fire hydrant? the sidewalk? neighbor's vehicle? a tree? I would recommend you getting winter tires or all seasons but I do not believe this will stop your vehicle from going down the hill if pavement is icy. Try leaving your wheels turned next time.. that may help just a bit.
We have a short but fairly steep drive into our garage. I've driven over it with packed ice at low speeds and never had any trouble stopping with my Dunlop Wintersports.

Obviously it's easier to stop a car going 5mph than one going 15-20mph in those conditions.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JDBlueAudiS4
Well you know how it is. They made a business discision and stuck with it. I at least have to give them credit on consistency. In the end it didn't work out for them but I can not fault them for that. Three years ago I would have but a lot of time has past and I am a much different person then I was back then. I need to reconnect with Rob, it has been a long time. I have been driving a LR3 V8 for the past 3 years and it has been very good. Not without small problems here and there, but overall a great daily driver. Plus it has loads of space. We are getting a new car for the wife and we will probably split time in the new car and the LR3. Should we get the S I will probably drive it more but who knows. But yes Gary I am really thinking about a return to the rings.

Jon, give Rob a call at Holberts. BTW, My friend and patient, Rich Christine is now the GM. He's a good guy. I think you might like the improvements the have made on the S. BTW, check out QW as well.

Last edited by DrGP; 02-11-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JDBlueAudiS4

My daughter is getting married on 7/17. Teaches 2nd grade. My son is expecting his first child in May. It will be my first grand son.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats Gary!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a dedicated winter wheel+tire set. Either cheap 17 or 18 setup from tirerack.com for $1200-$1500 or you can go with VMR/Hartmann 18" replica wheels with winter tires for around $1800. This way you don't have to pay someone to swap tires twice a year.
Go here to look at tirerack packages or winter tire only:

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterP...r=Premium+Plus

Quick Reply: First Bad suprise with S4