S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First Audi purchase - Question + decissions . S4 , A6, S5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was choosing between 2013 S4 P+ and 2012 A6 P+

A6:
+ a little bigger (not significantly, just a little)
+ better tech
- steering feel isn't sporty at all, while it was precise it was too light for my taste (looked at P+ with Sport package)
- more luxury car than sports sedan (for some people it's better, but not for me)

S4:
+ sportier overall
+ perfect size wise (i didn't find S4 that much smaller than A6. It is smaller, but it's not what you notice right away)
+ steering feel is much better

I went with DSG for traffic reasons, while I understand manual can be more fun, sometimes I just like to relax in traffic and dring coffee, not rowing gears.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great feedback all.
I've been thinking more about this and pricing out:

Seems the S5, Prestige, with all options (estoril blue, sports diff, rear sunshade, 19" wheels) comes to about 66k

S4 comes to about 62k.

As for the back seat. I do have regular full size adult passangers, but not for more than 30-45 mins. And usually only 1 in the back seat.
My kid is 3, so she's in a car seat all the time. Wife sits with her from time to time, but she's petite sized, so that won't matter.

As for driving a manual, I've only owned Manuals up until I bought the G and wanted the wife to drive it.

Now the deal with the S5 - None in dealer stock.

I wish there was a quick way to search ALL audi dealers for inventory within a 200 mile range.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man, moving a car seat in and out of the S5 all the time? I wouldn't enjoy that. Where's my chiropractor???
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Oh man, moving a car seat in and out of the S5 all the time? I wouldn't enjoy that. Where's my chiropractor???
Its not ALL the time. I usually just take the wifes car, or will get one permanent for this. Only when we're going on long trips I put the car seat in min.

But, that is one of the reasons for looking at a S4 rather than a S5 or a M3.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is tiny too, and we have a 7 month year old. Our second vehicle is a 2008 Sequoia which fits everyone (dog included) nicely. I honestly don't even like putting the car seat in my car, i'd rather take the SUV for any road trip as it's 5x more functional. If I had a coupe I would hardly get to drive it besides when i'm alone.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Occasionally would be alright I guess. I'd take your car seat to the dealership to see if it even fits. My IT guy has an S5 and he said his kids' seats don't even fit when he has the driver's seat set to his position.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StasisS4
My wife is tiny too, and we have a 7 month year old. Our second vehicle is a 2008 Sequoia which fits everyone (dog included) nicely. I honestly don't even like putting the car seat in my car, i'd rather take the SUV for any road trip as it's 5x more functional. If I had a coupe I would hardly get to drive it besides when i'm alone.
Yeah, i mostly drive alone. Very rare do I put the car seat in. Thats coz the wife then uses the G and i take the civic (1-2 times a week?). Otherwise its mostly alone.

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Occasionally would be alright I guess. I'd take your car seat to the dealership to see if it even fits. My IT guy has an S5 and he said his kids' seats don't even fit when he has the driver's seat set to his position.

Thats very interesting to know. We have the Recaro car seat. Will have to look into that.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also why I choose the S4 over the S5. S5 looks better in my opinion but I have a kid too and with two doors it's hard.... plus she can't fit in my R8 yet! The s4 if modded, tuned, exhaust and dropped it's hard to beat for an every day driver.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Also why I choose the S4 over the S5. S5 looks better in my opinion but I have a kid too and with two doors it's hard.... plus she can't fit in my R8 yet! The s4 if modded, tuned, exhaust and dropped it's hard to beat for an every day driver.
You have the R8 to keep you happy if you need that umph. Since I sold the Ducati, I don't get that any more

That is my only thing, thinking between the S4 and S5 mainly for the 2 doors.

A lot of folks have also commented on getting a M3 instead of the S4 (same price range, almost).

So confused.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dazed1
You have the R8 to keep you happy if you need that umph. Since I sold the Ducati, I don't get that any more

That is my only thing, thinking between the S4 and S5 mainly for the 2 doors.

A lot of folks have also commented on getting a M3 instead of the S4 (same price range, almost).

So confused.
Sorry...didn't notice you live in the Bay area...if it were me .. M3 all the way! Period! I am up here in Pittsburgh and get snow and ice. M3 = Death Trap! No good with rear wheel drive! See...problem solved ..

Quick Reply: First Audi purchase - Question + decissions . S4 , A6, S5 ?