S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty

My factory 4-year warranty expires next May & I'm just beginning to evaluate. I'm expecting to retain the car for another 1-2 years past warranty expiration.

What are the experience and thinking of those who have purchased extended warranties? With Audi's signficantly improved reliability (check latest Consumer Reports ratings w/Audi @ #4), might it be worth it to forgo the additional warranty? Does the factory extension cover enough items? Local Audi Dealer was not much help on this.

2010 Blue Pearl Effect S4 w/29K fun-filled miles.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am pretty much wondering the same thing. I have less than a year of warranty left on my S4. The car has been nearly perfect so far and I have low miles (just under 20K). I plan to keep the car about 1-2 years past the warranty expiration. What to do...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never want to own ANY Germen car without it being under warranty. If and when you have a problem, and you most likely will, it can cost big bucks to repair them. These cars do not have the long tern reliability that you find with Japanese cars. I recommend buying an extended warranty
Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by pfcoach
Does the factory extension cover enough items?
Last I checked, there was no actual *factory* warranty extension. There is a third party warranty offered by Audi dealers which is backed by Fidelity Warranty Services. Do a search for "Audi Pure Protection" for some info. You can also buy this warranty directly from Fidelity.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

What has been people's experience with these warranty companies? Have they been easy to work with or do they tend to tell you things aren't covered once you have a problem?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pfcoach
My factory 4-year warranty expires next May & I'm just beginning to evaluate. I'm expecting to retain the car for another 1-2 years past warranty expiration.

What are the experience and thinking of those who have purchased extended warranties? With Audi's signficantly improved reliability (check latest Consumer Reports ratings w/Audi @ #4), might it be worth it to forgo the additional warranty? Does the factory extension cover enough items? Local Audi Dealer was not much help on this.

2010 Blue Pearl Effect S4 w/29K fun-filled miles.
I just got into a CPO, with only 9mo left on its original warranty- having heard about german brands expense of repair, I went with the Platinum 7y/100k from Fidelity, through my dealer. Cheap peace of mind, and now I'll still have some decent warranty left when I'm done making payments.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had the same dilemma

My 2010 warranty was ending in Dec. I bought the car used last Dec, and was at 42K miles, but the 4 year point was about to get me. I researched a bunch and got quotes to take me to 100K miles. Audi and USAA's extended warranty were going to be right at $6000 for the platinum coverage. I did not know how the car was treated earlier in its life, and I just had to have the mechatronics circuit card replaced under warranty. Was also going to need brakes soon, so my wife and I decided we'd rather have $6K+ invested in a new one. Picked up a 2014 and bought the 6 yr/100K Audi platinum at that time for $2800.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fignewton
My 2010 warranty was ending in Dec. I bought the car used last Dec, and was at 42K miles, but the 4 year point was about to get me. I researched a bunch and got quotes to take me to 100K miles. Audi and USAA's extended warranty were going to be right at $6000 for the platinum coverage. I did not know how the car was treated earlier in its life, and I just had to have the mechatronics circuit card replaced under warranty. Was also going to need brakes soon, so my wife and I decided we'd rather have $6K+ invested in a new one. Picked up a 2014 and bought the 6 yr/100K Audi platinum at that time for $2800.
Is that 6yrs/100k from date of purchase or an additional 2yrs + 50k above the standard Audi warranty?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
Is that 6yrs/100k from date of purchase or an additional 2yrs + 50k above the standard Audi warranty?
I meant and additional 6yrs + 100k.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
I meant and additional 6yrs + 100k.
If you have an S-tronic, I hear the transmission can cost $10k to $15 to replace. Performance wise, the S-tronic is great. However, there are times I question it's behavior. It doesn't have a long track record so it's difficult to have confidence it will last without any major problems. An extended warranty might be wise but is expensive. I called the dealer a few months ago about an extended warranty. I have a 2010 with 27k miles. I think the price for an additional 4yrs was $6k. I think it makes sense to get something else soon but I don't want to run into this dilemma again so it's unlikely it will be another S4 or even Audi. The question is what else is out there in this price change? Luckily (kind of) I was given an extended warranty from Audi of America for another 1 yr due to the water pump issue so I have some time to figure it out but I am struggling with the decision.

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 10-31-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty