S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Exhausts... too loud when driving normally?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhausts... too loud when driving normally?

First, let me apologize for yet another exhaust thread but after having listened to countless videos (many from members of this board who should be universally thanked for all there time and effort!)... I'm still unsure as to weather I'm an exhaust kind of guy! I do find my S4 to be anemic sounding with the stock exhaust and would really love to add some visceral thrill with a more sporty sound but at the same time I don't want to be constantly annoying neighbors, friends, my wife and newborn! It's difficult to truly get a gauge from videos as to how loud these systems are in regular use. I have noted some concerns from milltek owners for example. I'm leaning toward the AWE with stock downpipes as I have a 6mt. Here in Nova Scotia there are very few S4's at all, let alone anyone with an aftermarket exhaust. Anyone else have similar concerns with the noise level and for those of you that have an AWE or APR are you satified with the thrill/livability tradeoff. FWIW I am a 40 year old medical professional... not 25 and not into drawing massive attention to myself. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

The biggest mistake I've made on my previous Audi was to change the exhausts. It's fun for the first few miles but gets really annoying in the long run, especially on long trips, where i avoided the 6th gear just to reduce the background noise at low RPM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harbour456
First, let me apologize for yet another exhaust thread but after having listened to countless videos (many from members of this board who should be universally thanked for all there time and effort!)... I'm still unsure as to weather I'm an exhaust kind of guy! I do find my S4 to be anemic sounding with the stock exhaust and would really love to add some visceral thrill with a more sporty sound but at the same time I don't want to be constantly annoying neighbors, friends, my wife and newborn! It's difficult to truly get a gauge from videos as to how loud these systems are in regular use. I have noted some concerns from milltek owners for example. I'm leaning toward the AWE with stock downpipes as I have a 6mt. Here in Nova Scotia there are very few S4's at all, let alone anyone with an aftermarket exhaust. Anyone else have similar concerns with the noise level and for those of you that have an AWE or APR are you satified with the thrill/livability tradeoff. FWIW I am a 40 year old medical professional... not 25 and not into drawing massive attention to myself. Thanks!
No worries on the APR, I'm a 36 year old professional with a wife who is also a professional. We live in a nice, typical suburb home witha 2 year old, and unless you are trying to make it loud, it's nothing at all noticable. When you DO really get on it, you can tell.

Did you see my "exhaust redux" thread where I did lots of in cabin footage at normal driving speeds, highway, etc - all under light to moderate pedal so you can tell what is sounds like normally?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...edux?highlight
Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think that IMO you should just keep your stock exhaust. All aftermarket exhaust will make more noise. If you lived in Toronto it wouldn't be a problem but being that you are in Nova Scotia, I think even that little bit more noise would single you out not to mention I think your neighbours would probably find it annoying. I have been to many places in Nova Scotia and for the most part is very quiet and any kind of exhaust noise would definitely single you out.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW I am a 40 year old medical professional... not 25 and not into drawing massive attention to myself. Thanks!
I am also a 40 y/o medical professional and I have been wondering the exact same thing myself. I do not relish the thought of spending that kind of money and then dreading getting in the car due to excessive noise.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor

Default REMUS USA Responding

REMUS USA Rep' here. REMUS as yet, has not manufactured a specific "Sports Label" for the new supercharged S4. A customer has tried our S5 system which was a very close fitment. But due to the different types of induction and engine configurations, he had some 'drone' issues. We are trying to work with him to come to a satisfactory outcome with this system. We think free flow REMUS front resonators will do the trick, but we haven't had the opportunity to try that option yet. We don't have word yet from REMUS Austria, as to when we will have the S4 specific system available here. But as soon as I know, I will post that info. here.

They are a huge O.E.M. manufacturer to several German (and other) auto factories, and private label brands, and occasionally we have to wait for their 'Signature Line' (their 'aftermarket' sport exhaust systems) to become available here.

But remember, 'good things come, to those that wait'...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's worth the costs and effort. A well designed exhaust system changes the personality of the car for the better without significant downside, assuming of course you like the sound of motorsports. The mistake often made is buying on cost alone. It's definitely a purchase where it pays to buy quality. The design effort and time testing the results are expensive and you should expect to pay for that. I've always chosen the "quieter" option available although not always right out of the gate. There is a reason Ferrari's sound so good, most folks fork out $3000 -$5000 for a Tubi or similar system. I'm in my 50's and still tingle at the sound of an engine at full boil with a high end exhaust system.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

The APR system is really very civilized. I don't think it's much louder than many stock cars (e.g., the G35) when driven normally. But it is quite loud at 100% throttle, especially the s-tronic upshifts.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm leaning toward the AWE with stock downpipes as I have a 6mt.
For your reasoning alone I highly recommend AGAINST this scenario. You definitely want the resonated downpipes. I too am an older professional who uses this car as the daily driver. I really enjoy quiet cars in my later years(but my bikes loud..) as I am trying not to be noticed by everyone. I can completely attest that the AWE exhaust WITH the resonated downpipes is just as quiet as stock when you are just tooling around. However, it will growl with authority when you romp on it. It truly is the best daily driver exhaust Ive ever had on a car. I like that I can have completely normal conversations at 75mph and you cant even hear theres exhaust on the car.

I have had many people in my car and they always say to me on the first drive "I thought you got exhaust for the car, it sounds like stock" and then I step on it and they say "Ohhh, now thats a worthy investment".
Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
For your reasoning alone I highly recommend AGAINST this scenario. You definitely want the resonated downpipes. I too am an older professional who uses this car as the daily driver. I really enjoy quiet cars in my later years(but my bikes loud..) as I am trying not to be noticed by everyone. I can completely attest that the AWE exhaust WITH the resonated downpipes is just as quiet as stock when you are just tooling around. However, it will growl with authority when you romp on it. It truly is the best daily driver exhaust Ive ever had on a car. I like that I can have completely normal conversations at 75mph and you cant even hear theres exhaust on the car.

I have had many people in my car and they always say to me on the first drive "I thought you got exhaust for the car, it sounds like stock" and then I step on it and they say "Ohhh, now thats a worthy investment".
What is the main difference that you experienced when comparing the Stock DPs with the AWE pieces? Did you not like the sound with stock DPs?

Very curious as I intend to just leave the stock DPs on. Is there drone, excess sound, etc?

thanks for your input.

car is a 6mt...

Quick Reply: Exhausts... too loud when driving normally?