S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Excessive windshield chipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:57 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do 80% of my driving on the highway and i have a disheartening amount of hits on the front of my car but no issues with my windshield.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by riu
I do 80% of my driving on the highway and i have a disheartening amount of hits on the front of my car but no issues with my windshield.
2011 w/38K miles here. Probably 75% highway driving.

If your front-end has the hits, I bet your windshield does as well. They're tough to see unless you are looking/driving right into the sun. Mine's awful, as is the front-end. Mine's Ibis so the dark pock marks, rock chips, etc. are very noticable on the front end and hood. I know its because of water-based paint, but Jeez, had I known it would be this bad, I would have clear-bra'd.

Another poster noted that his previous BMWs fared better. Not my experience - I had a 2006 330i and 2008 335i - both got beat up just as bad as my B8. The price you pay for lots of high-speed highway driving in conjested areas.

Cheers!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TDIII

If your front-end has the hits, I bet your windshield does as well. They're tough to see unless you are looking/driving right into the sun. Mine's awful, as is the front-end. Mine's Ibis so the dark pock marks, rock chips, etc. are very noticable on the front end and hood. I know its because of water-based paint, but Jeez, had I known it would be this bad, I would have clear-bra'd.

Another poster noted that his previous BMWs fared better. Not my experience - I had a 2006 330i and 2008 335i - both got beat up just as bad as my B8. The price you pay for lots of high-speed highway driving in conjested areas.

Cheers!
If anything I would expect the german sedans/manufacturers to actually hold up better because of the known speeds. Otherwise, I could say "Ya, BMW/AUDI brakes arent good because thats the price you pay for stopping at high speeds" (we all know BMW and AUDI brakes are pretty darn good) JMO

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't certain windshield rain repellents have a history of etching glass? I remember reading that rain-x in it's original form contained silicone and over time would ruin glass or at least the external coating of the glass.

I've just not gotten around to coating the glass, I usually do it on all of my cars but just haven't yet. It's tough to tell between correlation and causation here but I'd be curious to see if people with issues constantly apply something like rain-x.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
Don't certain windshield rain repellents have a history of etching glass? I remember reading that rain-x in it's original form contained silicone and over time would ruin glass or at least the external coating of the glass.

I've just not gotten around to coating the glass, I usually do it on all of my cars but just haven't yet. It's tough to tell between correlation and causation here but I'd be curious to see if people with issues constantly apply something like rain-x.
been using rain-x on all my cars for over 10 years, including my 1999 corvette. If in fact there is an issue, I havent seen it on any of my cars. anything is possible but "over time" implies many many years rather than the 1-2 year time span we are hearing from S4 owners. I seriously doubt rain-x is the issue although it wouldnt surprise me to hear dealers try to blame it on rain-x, acid rain, snow, global warming or whatever other creative excuses they can come up with
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TDIII

Cheers!

Exact same situation I am in. Wish I clear bra'd now that I know. My car is black and you can see little white dots in the front.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Windshields and paint (on hood & trunk) of our 5 BMWs hold up much better than 3 Audis.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

bmw saves their best work for the M cars....hate to see the rest.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I have noticed this too. My car is a 2011. I commute on the highway, and I've already replaced my windshield once because a rock caused a significant crack, and I've noticed a significant number of smaller nicks on the replacement windshield. My previous car was a Saab 9-3, and in 8.5 years of commuting on that same highway I never replaced the windshield, and my current Audi windshield which is only 1 year old already looks worse than my Saab windshield did when it was 8.5 years old.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AlecW
Yes, I have noticed this too. My car is a 2011. I commute on the highway, and I've already replaced my windshield once because a rock caused a significant crack, and I've noticed a significant number of smaller nicks on the replacement windshield. My previous car was a Saab 9-3, and in 8.5 years of commuting on that same highway I never replaced the windshield, and my current Audi windshield which is only 1 year old already looks worse than my Saab windshield did when it was 8.5 years old.
Did you get an OEM windshield or one of the Saflight type made in China?

Quick Reply: Excessive windshield chipping