S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Excessive windshield chipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive windshield chipping

Hi Guys... I've had my '11 S4 for just over a year (only 6,300 miles) and I've been noticing that the windscreen seems to be excessively chipped and pock marked. This is my 7th Audi and never noticed this before. Have any of you guys noticed way more chips in your windshield on this car than others?

It became especially apparent last weekend while detailing the car when I was using a clay bar on the glass before sealing it. I had noticed a few bigger chips previously but there were lots of tiny ones I hadn't noticed before.

The front bumper and hood only have a few minor nicks and I genuinely don't tailgate...especially with the increase in insurance scammers out there that are looking to get rear ended. I would expect the front of the car to look like I drove it through a gravel pit based on the how bad the glass is, but it was surprisingly in great shape. (no clear bra)

I asked the dealer/SA about it and they just said it was "normal wear and tear." So I'm seriously wondering If I just got a windscreen out of a bad batch or something.

Anybody else notice this issue? TIA

Last edited by SullyS4; 08-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i just passed 4K miles on my 12 and haven't seen anything
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I don't have any chips, but my windshield has an excessive number of light scratches that are visible at certain angles - far more than on any car I've owned in the past. It almost seems like the windshield is made of plexiglass and is soft enough to be scratched by the windshield wipers.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

do a search on this forum, I have seen threads on it. I havent noticed any but when I hear that your windshied is chipping and others have reported similar issues then there is a problem. Its kind of like the weheel chipping problem that i and others have experieneced. And most manufacturers are slow to fix any known problem until the have no choice. A recall recall campaign is the worst news for any manufacturer

The windshield though could be very serious for AUDI because windshield defects are a serious issue with the FED DOT. Its illegal to drive with any noticebale windshield crack or defect and Even insurance companies will repair/replace a windshield without going into your deductible (thats what i hear)

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-01-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I don't have any chips, but my windshield has an excessive number of light scratches that are visible at certain angles - far more than on any car I've owned in the past. It almost seems like the windshield is made of plexiglass and is soft enough to be scratched by the windshield wipers.
I have tried banging on the inside of the the windshield and it does feel like plexi
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea i have lots of noticeable chips on my windshield and i barley drive the car. the mazdas which i use as a daily and beater dont have any chips at all.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember that had been an issue with the B6 S4s. Out of curiosity, how much highway driving do you do. I think the amount of chipping is directly proportional to the amount of highway driving you do. Same applies to paint chipping. Its a hazard and by product of high speed tires throwing up small stones on the highway that have fallen off heavy land moving equipment and dump trucks. Nothing wrong with your windshield
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM

I've already had one windshield replaced for a major stone chip, and the new one (about 6 months old and OEM glass) probably has 4-5 very small nicks in it already. I cringe every time I hear the clicking sound of something hitting the windshield. There are very few stone nicks in the paint so far, but the windshield does seem to attract stones. As a preventative measure, I try to stay far away from trucks and trailers, and don't tailgate.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also on the second Windshield. My first cracked due to excessive heat/then starting the car with the A/C on 'auto' - CRACK! I don't use 'auto' anymore.

I have lots of pock marks, which is why when I get my S3 Sedan, I'll have clear bra and a windshield protector installed.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove BMW's prior to my S4 and I definitely noticed a difference in the windshields. I bought my car with 30k miles and the windshield looked more like 70k miles to me. I had it replaced and noticed new nicks within days. My BMW windshields definitely seemed to hold up better.

I use rainX on my windshield every time I wax the car. This seems to help. The rainX acts like a wax on the windshield.

Last edited by mhs525; 08-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Excessive windshield chipping