S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Ever get "flashed" by oncoming drivers? Lights too bright?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever get "flashed" by oncoming drivers? Lights too bright?

Even though I've done some "tinkering" with my LED's (took them up to 100% then back to 40%) I'm still getting "flashed" occassionally by oncoming drivers when I'm on low beam. Of course a very brief high-beam flash quickly shows them that I'm on low (after they peel their retinas off the windscreen). Has anyone experienced an issue?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has not happened to me yet (owned car for over 6 months)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Never happened to me and I have my LEDs at 100% all the time.

(btw - NW and I have oldly been leaving work at the same time and following each other home. LED's at 100% with the headlights looks pretty cool in the evening)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

what are the factory settings for the LEDs? I assume you need a VAG-COM to make adjustments?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Never happened to me and I have my LEDs at 100% all the time.

(btw - NW and I have oldly been leaving work at the same time and following each other home. LED's at 100% with the headlights looks pretty cool in the evening)
Yep never get flashed for lights, last couple of days we managed to follow each other most of the way home, was nice seeing the S4 from the outside for a change (not to mention having some fun with spirited accelerations when openings allowed!)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clochner
what are the factory settings for the LEDs? I assume you need a VAG-COM to make adjustments?
Factory has them 100% when all lights are off, when parking or headlamps are on, default has them set to 9% of max brightness
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MIS4
Even though I've done some "tinkering" with my LED's (took them up to 100% then back to 40%) I'm still getting "flashed" occassionally by oncoming drivers when I'm on low beam. Of course a very brief high-beam flash quickly shows them that I'm on low (after they peel their retinas off the windscreen). Has anyone experienced an issue?
This has happened to me on several occasions. I have not done any tinkering with the settings and will be interested to see if there are any others getting "flashed"
Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been flashed a handful of times over the last 22,000 miles. Factory settings
Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get flashed all the time and I've never messed with my LED's at all. I just got home from an hour round-trip and I got flashed four or five times. the headlights are fine, it's the topography and the people that are a problem. It's hilly around here, a lot of small hills, so you're always coming over a hill and someone is coming the other direction. As you crest the hill they get the light right in the eyes even though they are on lowbeams, because they are coming up from lower than you.

Also, the next town over is one of the five wealthiest in the country, full of rich old peole who think they own the planet and aren't shy about letting you know it. the two shopping centers in this town (Potomac, MD) are worth your life to walk in the parking lot. Seriously these people would rather have you for a hood ornament on their Mercedes than slow down for a second. These people will flash you just because they don't like your lights, just because they think they're "too bright", never mind the fact that their cars have the same lights.

So I blaze the hell out of them, stay right on the highs until they are past. You shouldn't flash people unless you are sure they have their highs on. I don't. My headlights are correctly aimed. **** 'em.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

I got flashed once on Stevens Creek, in San Jose, by some crazy girls in a convertable Mustang. They honked the horn and lifted their tops to show off their bare breasts. Unfortunately my new father-in-law was in the passenger seat at the time.

Quick Reply: Ever get "flashed" by oncoming drivers? Lights too bright?