S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

EPC light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO here's the deal - they don't know...

I'm renegotiating a new S4...trust me very disappointing and a lot of work. Really wanted an original 2010. AudiCanada stepped in to help the dealership with a trade-in. They've ordered a new computer for my car but still no guarantees. So I continue to drive a loaner while they have my money.

Hopefully everything will work out, I'll have a 2011 but will have to re-tint, re-PPF the front end etc. Keep everyone posted.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by surgeon
SO here's the deal - they don't know...

I'm renegotiating a new S4...trust me very disappointing and a lot of work. Really wanted an original 2010. AudiCanada stepped in to help the dealership with a trade-in. They've ordered a new computer for my car but still no guarantees. So I continue to drive a loaner while they have my money.

Hopefully everything will work out, I'll have a 2011 but will have to re-tint, re-PPF the front end etc. Keep everyone posted.
Where are you in Canada, surgeon? I'm currently awaiting an engine swap in my 2011 which has 1500 kms (slightly different issue) and been without my car for about 6 weeks. I've been through 3 different loaner vehicles. I tried for a vehicle replacement but Audi wouldn't bite. Best I could get was Audi Canada to cover the month's car payment while I wait for the new engine.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

T. It has been a fight and a pain. What is your deal? Is yours a 2010? What happened with your engine?

I have been on the phone with audicanada for a ridiculous amount of time. Would like to hear your story.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

T. It has been a fight and a pain. What is your deal? Is yours a 2010? What happened with your engine?

I have been on the phone with audicanada for a ridiculous amount of time. Would like to hear your story.

Mine is a 2011. First a low oil pressure warning came on, followed by the engine light. I took it into the dealer right away and they figured it was a sensor that needed replacing. They replaced it but it did not solve the problem. Then they figured it was another sensor, so they replaced that, only to have the problem persist. They removed the oil pan, and found it was full of metal filings, which of course had worked their way through the engine causing complete engine failure. The dealer told me the filings must have got in the oil pan during assembly and were missed. The only solution was to replace the entire engine and any component that was connected to the oil system. The car was with the dealer for several weeks at this point. It was going to take 7-10 business days for the engine to arrive. My concern at this point was a complete engine swap on a car that only had 1500 kms on it.

At first, I wanted a replacement car. Phoned both the dealer and Audi Canada, got nowhere at all. Both parties were curious to know why I wasn't happy, as I was getting a brand new engine instead of one with 1500 kms on it. I then attempted contacting my SA who would not return my emails or phone calls. Finally, I contacted the owner of the dealership and demanded some sort of financial reimbursement for a car which I was paying a monthly payment on that I did not have. He then offered to pay my monthly payment out of pocket if he could not get Audi Canada to cooperate. In the end, Audi Canada stepped up and is paying for the month.

It then took three more weeks before the engine was installed, in fact I'm picking up the car tomorrow. This was after having 3 different loaner cars and a week in the middle without a loaner as they had all been handed out (I had to return one of the loaners as I was out of town for a few days, then couldn't get it back).

I have to say it has been a long and frustrating process thus far as I have had to fight every inch of the way to get any cooperation. So believe me, I understand how you feel. In the end, I would have much preferred a completely new car, but settled for a new engine and a reimbursed monthly payment. Unfortunately it doesn't begin to compensate for the pain of not having my brand new $70,000 + vehicle and the aggrevation suffered along the way. Good luck with your situation!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And to you too 2011 S4...

I totally hear your frustration and can only add to that and more. The way AudiCanada works is that they are essentially representatives of AudiAG here in Canada and the dealerships are franchised. I have come to learn that service issues (i.e. the countless hours spent servicing our vehicles, diagnosing, replacing parts) are billed to AudiAG. So it is "cheaper" for AudiCanada to just keep servicing the vehicle - they don't take the loss. Quite the system.

When it comes to loaner vehicles-I hear you. I paid 70K to roll around in a Matrix and Camry for a several weeks before they put me in an A4...And it's an A4 - the car I traded in for the S4.

As for monthly - this is also what they offered me. I paid my car out in cash. So essentially with the trade-in etc I was out of pocket for 60k from June until now and it still continues. The monthly interest on that would amount to a few grand. I had to keep voicing my disappointment over and over again. Essentially the dealership had to step and say "we're going to try this again and if it doesn't work we'll work something out".

SO my deal is an advanced trade-in. I will trade my 4500km 2010 S4 towards a 2011 S4. Audi assisted with the tradein so I will not be out of pocket too much (2grand). As you know our cars depreciate by about 10-15% right off the lot (However I did put in almost 3 grand in tint and full PPF). So yes this is a loss on my part but I will be stepping up into a premium. It was a lot of negotiating and I was fortunate enough to be a pain in their sides enough that someone went to bat for me....I'm still holding my breath for the new car which is not slated to come for another one-two months.

As for your dealership - I would go directly to the owner which is what I did. You should be aware there is an apparent engine shortage of the 3.0V6 I am told. So they are stopping all orders to N. America with that engine for Jan/Feb. My dealership negotiated with another dealership to take one of their cars which I believe was going to one of their peeps. If not I would have had to wait until April/May apparently.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it has happened and I have taken delivery of a 2011 on an assisted trade-in. And so part 2 begins...Will keep you posted.

As it stands - they have changed the computer out on the 2010...They have 200km on it and are running it.

I hope this is a close to this thread...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it has happened and I have taken delivery of a 2011 on an assisted trade-in. And so part 2 begins...Will keep you posted.

As it stands - they have changed the computer out on the 2010...They have 200km on it and are running it.

I hope this is a close to this thread...

Good luck with everything!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow surgeon, I was searching for EPC issue and AZ thread you started on the same issue.

Seems like lot of people experienced this but I hope for me it's a 1 time only event.

Just like you, my car straightly use Shell V-Power. Only twice I used Esso because I was really low on gas. This feeling sucks.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like I'm getting a new engine out of this just like 2011_S4.

We share the same dealer so at least they have some experiences doing it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck to all of you! I am at 1500km...so I am still waiting for any issues. I have decided to run 94Octane only. It's killing me in the pocketbook given gas prices up here but I'm hoping to limit the persistent carbon issues and avoiding a repeat of my last B8S4 experience.

Quick Reply: EPC light