S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

EPC light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by surgeon
No Lemon law where I live. This IS absolutely crazy - I keep searching for common threads with this forum and others and clearly it's not happening frequently at all! I am trying the proper channels through corporate audi for a vehicle substitution but they're not biting.

This is not worth my time - I am going to probably trade-in. But I'm very very nervous about getting another S4.....I'm looking elsewhere now and there aren't any good alternatives...

The other sad part is I put full PPF over the bumper/full hood/full fender/the works + ceramic tint thinking this would be an investment in a long term ownership - 2K worth...it's only money I guess....just a lot of work
Dude, that blows big time. I hope you can get the issue resolved one way or another.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks Rhytid....prayers
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update - So all 6 injectors were taken out and they had a lot of carbon buildup on them - like crazy - 3000km remember. So all have been replaced - I am told they are "confident" that the issue is resolved. Let's see. Took possession yesterday.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update - So all 6 injectors were taken out and they had a lot of carbon buildup on them - like crazy - 3000km remember. So all have been replaced - I am told they are "confident" that the issue is resolved. Let's see. Took possession yesterday.
I wonder if doing the "normal recommended break in" has anything to do with this? Not saying it did, it could just be a bad engine. But reading this makes me think i will flog the car off the dealer lot when i get my car. ::shrug::
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the EPC light come on a week back after starting the engine. Turned it off and restarted and everything ok since. Hope it was a fluke.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still hammering through the gears. This may truly be a carbon issue for which there is an entire thread. I will certainly keep everyone posted.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still hammering through the gears. This may truly be a carbon issue for which there is an entire thread. I will certainly keep everyone posted.
Once again, I profess my lack of knowledge in these things but as I understand it, our cars have direct injection into the cylinders, correct? So the injectors are being bathed in fuel, right? So then, why the carbon build up?

I thought the whole problem with carbon buildup on the intake valves was due to LACK of fuel washing over those parts?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhytid
Once again, I profess my lack of knowledge in these things but as I understand it, our cars have direct injection into the cylinders, correct? So the injectors are being bathed in fuel, right? So then, why the carbon build up?

I thought the whole problem with carbon buildup on the intake valves was due to LACK of fuel washing over those parts?
Second paragraph is right. There is no fuel on the intakes, *because* it is injected directly into the cylinder not onto the intake valve as it opens into the cylinder, so the fuel never touches those valves, but the exhaust gasses recirculated for burning does, and they cake on it and harden into carbon deposits (which non-DI engines wash off with the fuel and its additives) until there can be enough to cause issues.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Second paragraph is right. There is no fuel on the intakes, *because* it is injected directly into the cylinder not onto the intake valve as it opens into the cylinder, so the fuel never touches those valves, but the exhaust gasses recirculated for burning does, and they cake on it and harden into carbon deposits (which non-DI engines wash off with the fuel and its additives) until there can be enough to cause issues.
OK... so you agree about the intake valves being susceptible to carbon buildup. How do you explain carbon buildup on injectors? I am not arguing with you here, just trying to get more info for my own sake.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As per the service manager, it may be poor quality fuel (as stated earlier that N. America is permitted to have 10-20% of fuel additives/filler - kerosene,butane,etc) that causes an 'unclean' burn at the injector level. This is what I am told...I'm no car mechanic....

Quick Reply: EPC light