S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Edmunds Inside Line: S4 beats 335i

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds Inside Line: S4 beats 335i

http://www.insideline.com/audi/s4/20...-bmw-335i.html
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lets see what the e90post guys say now.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Appears they're complaining that it's not a fair comparison since the 3'er tested wasn't an xi. But you can't get the sport package with the xi, so the handling, skidpad and braking tests would have been different enough for them to cry based on that, too. They just need to face the fact that the Audi is the better of the cars this time around. And hey, second place here isn't a terrible thing, because they're both awesome machines.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

C&D did it with the 335i and the audi won there too. They will never face the fact that audi has one up'd them. I'm sure it won't be long until BMW makes some improvements and beats audi. And so the cycle continues.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Safety matters

I, for one, found this tidbit interesting....

Audi S4:

NHTSA crash test, driver 5 stars
NHTSA crash test, passenger 5 stars
NHTSA crash test, side front 5 stars
NHTSA crash test, side rear 5 stars
NHTSA rollover resistance 5 stars
IIHS Offset Good

BMW 335i:

NHTSA crash test, driver 4 stars
NHTSA crash test, passenger 4 stars
NHTSA crash test, side front 5 stars
NHTSA crash test, side rear 5 stars
NHTSA rollover resistance 4 stars
IIHS Offset Good
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a better overall testing that I feel CD did. Somehow the driver for this article managed to best the 335i in the slalom, which is what is expected if you let the Sport Diff do it's work, and don't get scared of it.

I also find it odd that this review had the S4 stopping sooner, as I was under the impression from other reviews that the one trump card the 335i had was superior braking - maybe the 335 they had was just worn out some, stopping that extra weight in less distance is commendable.

Likewise I like the breakdown of the scoring, if you look at how they have each major category set, they gave the 335i right at 20 more points overall based on the cost difference between the test cars, yet the S4 STILL won by 17 points in spite of this. Since they base the cost differences based on how much of a departure the pricer one is from the cheaper of the two, it would have been even less had they outfitted the 335i with the same items that the S4 had (like Nav for one!).

Other little things I disliked about the BMW when I did my own comparison when shopping are things like that there is no base S4 you can get that doesn't have leather, sure Alcantra inserts, but still you get leather. If you want leather in the BMW, you have to pay $1450! For less than that, in the S4 I get Napa leather - incredibly soft, supple unsplit leather from baby lambs (sorry PETA!). BMW gives you authentic Naugahyde?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
This is a better overall testing that I feel CD did. Somehow the driver for this article managed to best the 335i in the slalom, which is what is expected if you let the Sport Diff do it's work, and don't get scared of it.

I also find it odd that this review had the S4 stopping sooner, as I was under the impression from other reviews that the one trump card the 335i had was superior braking - maybe the 335 they had was just worn out some, stopping that extra weight in less distance is commendable.

Likewise I like the breakdown of the scoring, if you look at how they have each major category set, they gave the 335i right at 20 more points overall based on the cost difference between the test cars, yet the S4 STILL won by 17 points in spite of this. Since they base the cost differences based on how much of a departure the pricer one is from the cheaper of the two, it would have been even less had they outfitted the 335i with the same items that the S4 had (like Nav for one!).

Other little things I disliked about the BMW when I did my own comparison when shopping are things like that there is no base S4 you can get that doesn't have leather, sure Alcantra inserts, but still you get leather. If you want leather in the BMW, you have to pay $1450! For less than that, in the S4 I get Napa leather - incredibly soft, supple unsplit leather from baby lambs (sorry PETA!). BMW gives you authentic Naugahyde?
I agree, I felt this comparo was more thorough, or maybe just more believable? The consistency of the test results is what really did it for me. The C&D article had a few things contradicting each other which made for a vague feel.

I too, was surprised about the braking. But, nice!

I definitely feel I made the right choice sticking with Audi. I was so close to converting to the Dark Side and getting a 335
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

It's great to see Audi on such a roll. I moved away from them and went to Infiniti for 7 years, mostly due to service issues, but their cars are so great they brought me back into the fold. I came really close to trading my Infiniti M35 for a 335i Convertible earlier this year but decided to go with an A5 instead. Now I'm waiting for my S5 Cab to arrive and really glad I didn't go the BMW route.

If Audi S4 > BMW 335, then Audi S5 Cab > BMW 335 Vert. ;-)

Re: the Edmunds story, I test drove an S4 over the weekend to get an idea of what driving the S5 Cab would be like. It is a fantastic car. I was almost tempted to just go for the S4!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This article did seem to understate the differences in the interior. I think the Audi interior is vastly superior to the current 3-series. They imply it is more of a minor difference and that the Audi is superior mainly due to having more gadgets. One only has to sit in both vehicles to see huge differences in the interior.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can echo your comments, I am coming out of a 5 year stint on a G35 6MT coupe with the sports package. I test drove the 335i first and really WANTED to like it, but I didn't - even though I hadn't driven the S4 yet.

If I had been the Audi first that day, I think I would have offended the BMW SA who was helping me with the comments I would have made