S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY... Radar Detector Install (alternate method)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY... Radar Detector Install (alternate method)

Been doing a ton of freeway driving, so I figured I should get a V1 for a little extra "security". I fully intended to follow Tails instructions for hardwiring ... but once I looked at everything, I decided to try something different...

To start with, I mounted mine on the passenger side right above the rear-view mirror (mainly because I didn't want it blocked by the driver's side visor).

Then, following exactly what Tails did, used the straight cord that came with the V1 and tucked it under the leading edge of the headliner right along the windshield. I then went down the A-pillar trim under the rubber seal for the door:

Once I got down to where the fuse box would be on the driver's side, I tucked the cord behind the plastic trim and fished it out under the glove box (easily done with a fish tape or old coat hanger... no need to remove any trim pieces):

Under the glove box, there's a plastic panel that has a light in it and several ducts for the heater. It also has several decent sized holes that allow you to fish the cord under the glove box in the foot-well:

Finally, i ran it behind the carbon fiber trim on the center console up to the lighter plug:

This was easily done in about 15 minutes and doesn't require any additional parts. the cord that comes with the V1 is long enough to yield the results above.

My plan: I need to make a cord that's just a foot or two longer, then I will run it under the carpet at the front of the footwell (instead of under the glove box) and completely conceal it up to the ligher plug.

This isn't quite as awesome as Tails hardwire, but it works :-)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks great, i opted for the 5 minute method via the sunroof/dome lights.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2783606

Granted its a q5 diy, it worked wonderfully.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Routing cords adjacent to air bag panels makes me really nervous...
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got mine routed directly into the fuse box so my wire routes the other way and I don't lose a 12v plug

It's been years since I bought it but valentine sold (and probably still sells) a fuse box kit along with the remote display

as for routing a wire next to the airbag there's no pressure involved for most of that panel - the window gap is larger than the wire so it just slides in - where you need to apply pressure is at the bottom where it meets the dash