S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo, that's way too much money for a plastic grill. I know a rock will go right through those like knife through butter. My MB used have lower plastic grill that was pretty sturdy and that got holes in it like crazy from road debris. I guess better than nothing, but still...seesh...seems like not too much protection for too much money.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patinsd
I just had my A/C condenser replaced last week .
I ordered mesh and start to think how I was going to keep it in place behind the front grill .
The new condenser is different from the original ,it has 2 platic monting plate on it just at the opening of the front grill .
May be something to add a protection on it ?
One other question :What is behind the audi logo on the grill ? it's wired .
Home link maybe ?
Here is picture of the new A/C condeser
As discussed in this thread it's Homelink
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Muray
Yo, that's way too much money for a plastic grill. I know a rock will go right through those like knife through butter. My MB used have lower plastic grill that was pretty sturdy and that got holes in it like crazy from road debris. I guess better than nothing, but still...seesh...seems like not too much protection for too much money.
Yeah, I'm not certain that the wire mesh wouldn't do a better job....
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LYKUNO
Out of curiousity, what is the spacing/gap between the plastic 'ribs'. Is the spacing close to 1/4" or more/less? Did it come with instructions that can be scanned to give us an idea of what the installation steps are? Particularly wondering if it can be installed without dropping the bumper cover. Tnx!
The spacing between the ribs is just about 1/4". There were no instructions since this is just a replacement part. I think it will be able to be installed from above the same way everyone is doing NWS4guy's DIY. I'll take pictures when I put it in this weekend.

Originally Posted by Muray
This plastic is flexible so I don't think it will just break when a rock hits it. I agree it is a lot of money for what it is but I have always wondered about this solutions so I figured I would be the one to put up some money so everyone can learn & make their own decision. I would rather have an Audi OEM solution that way my DIY can't be blamed for anything and being an engineer myself I guess I put faith in the engineers at Audi to design a good solution.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by patinsd
The new condenser is different from the original ,it has 2 platic monting plate on it just at the opening of the front grill .
May be something to add a protection on it ?
I think those mounting plates are for holding the power steering cooler on an S5. I would have to look in ETKA to be sure.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hope to get one myself. Looking forward to install pics. I already found out I got a bent radiator fin and rock chip just on the way to home from the dealership.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

This material looks interesting for a screen, which could be bent to fit over the intercooler radiator.

http://www.nilesexpandedmetals.com/n...sh_hexagon.asp
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just finished to install the mesh behind the front grille .
I need to order more mesh to protect the intercooler
The mesh is aluminum black gloss coated.
Took about 2 hours to cut the mesh and fix it .
No clamp needed ,I used existing screw on the car .
Name:  front grille 006.JPG
Views: 886
Size:  248.6 KB

Name:  front grille 017.JPG
Views: 892
Size:  239.4 KB
Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad, I would have done the IC area first, it's lowest and most likely to get hit by heavier things. Can you get a shot in daylight (no flash) from farther back to see what it looks like - how obvious it is?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

NWS4guy ,I just removed the black plastic protection under the car and from what I see ,I will do the same on the bottom .
I will get the mesh by saturday
I will take a picture outside to show how this look like .

Quick Reply: DIY: Protection screen for intercooling radiator