S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Did not like the new S4??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did not like the new S4??!!

I thought I wanted a new S4. I thought so until I drove it. I currently have a 2001 S4. This car is totally different! The old one is light and nimble with excellent steeing and suspension feedback. The new one feels heavy and isolated. Great power!! But heavy and numb. I had the settings on "Dynamic". The steering was too heavy, which increased the numb feeling. I put the steering on the "comfort" setting and it lightened up, but was still numb.

I expected a the steering and suspension feedback to be more like my '01. The sales manager said that if I got the 19" wheels it would make all the difference. I can't see that lower profile tires will revolutionize the handling that much and they will not change the steering feel at all, I wouldn't think.

So, what do I do? I test drove a BMW 328 and 335 Xdrive and liked them more, but I am an AUDI guy. Or at least I was one.

So what do I do to get the driving experience I am looking for? Is there a different model I should get to have a real "sport sedan" experience?

-Tony
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait for the S3. It'll be smaller and have that light/nimble feeling. My guess is it'll be very similar to the B5 S4s.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would forget about brand loyalty and buy whichever car you liked most. Those new Bimmers are nice.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Toecutter
I would forget about brand loyalty and buy whichever car you liked most. Those new Bimmers are nice.
Yeah, you are right. But, I have always objected to BMW's claim to "Ultimate Driving Machine". That boast requires a LOT of car, and in the past I thought that they failed to deliver. Obviously I thought the '01 S4 was a superior (not "ultimate", though) driving machine. I have heard so many great things about the newer S4's, and I expected it to be like my old S4, but better. It isn't.

I am strongly considering a 335i xDrive. I was also pleasantly surprised with the 4 cyl 2L turbo in the 228i xDrive. I expected a ton of turbo lag like the Audi 2.0T, but I forgot it had a a four and turbo as I drove it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The combination of the Sport Differential and Eurocode's Alu Kreuz and USS sways and end links would change your opinion, I think.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001S4
Yeah, you are right. But, I have always objected to BMW's claim to "Ultimate Driving Machine". That boast requires a LOT of car, and in the past I thought that they failed to deliver. Obviously I thought the '01 S4 was a superior (not "ultimate", though) driving machine. I have heard so many great things about the newer S4's, and I expected it to be like my old S4, but better. It isn't.

I am strongly considering a 335i xDrive. I was also pleasantly surprised with the 4 cyl 2L turbo in the 228i xDrive. I expected a ton of turbo lag like the Audi 2.0T, but I forgot it had a a four and turbo as I drove it.
"Ultimate Driving Machine" is just a tag line, kind of like KFC's "We do chicken right." It's subjective.

Change once in awhile is good for the soul.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Obviously I thought the '01 S4 was a superior (not "ultimate", though) driving machine. I have heard so many great things about the newer S4's, and I expected it to be like my old S4, but better. It isn't.
I went from a stage 3 B5S4 to a B8S4. Yes the B8 feels much heavier, but I found the ultimate handling capability (after adding an H&R sway bar) to be as good as my Stasis Tracksport equipped B5.

Also I think the 2010 model is pre-electric steering?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Banned

The B8 s4 is somewhat larger than the B5. But it also is more refined and has a lot more bells and whistles. Very different cars. That being said, I can't help to wonder that the 335i(I had an E92 335i) will actually be more to your liking, FYI, BMW changed their steering a few years ago and most seem to think it is not for the better. 19" tires will in no major way change the feel of the car. If you really liked the BMW better, then get one. Obviously there are others that like them and buy them. The S3 may be a viable option.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
...I can't help to wonder that the 335i(I had an E92 335i) will actually be more to your liking, .... If you really liked the BMW better, then get one. Obviously there are others that like them and buy them. The S3 may be a viable option.
Its funny. I had seen many BMW owners simply as yuppies with their status symbol, not quite established enough to buy their 911. I still think that is true in many cases. It seemed Audi owners bought their cars because they knew what they were getting. I still think that is often true too. I stayed away from BMWs in the past because I did not think they offered the performance and value I could get elsewhere. Now I may to TO BMW for the same reasons. Ah, well, times change.

-Tony
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

Its funny. I had seen many BMW owners simply as yuppies with their status symbol, not quite established enough to buy their 911. I still think that is true in many cases. It seemed Audi owners bought their cars because they knew what they were getting. I still think that is often true too. I stayed away from BMWs in the past because I did not think they offered the performance and value I could get elsewhere. Now I may to TO BMW for the same reasons. Ah, well, times change.

-Tony
I've had both BMWs and Audis since '98. More Audis than BMWs. I think you need to judge the cars on their own merits and your personal wants and needs. To stereotype BMWs and their owners may not be appropriate at all times. IMHO, both manufacturers make some great cars. But not model will appeal to everyone. Also some will never consider a BMW or Audi based on previous preconceived ideas. I have my own preconcieved ideas about MB that doesn't ever have me consider owning or leasing one. PLUS MB does not have many (if any) cars with MTs