S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Did anyone not order their S4 with...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone not order their S4 with...

...the Sports Diff option? If so, any regrets?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did. Black with B&O, and stainless weave trim as only options. Out the door for just over $50K.

Pretty sure that my usual trick of a 30-40% stiffer rear anti-sway bar while leaving the front one stock, plus the Alu Kreuz stiffener will make the car rotate similarly to the Sports Diff.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave335i
...the Sports Diff option? If so, any regrets?
The sport diff was THE option I had to have on mine. The feeling it produces is awesome. It's not simple loss of traction oversteer like a larger sway bar, but the rear of the car actually being pushed outward through the curve. Much more progressive.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't get it. I thought long and hard about it but decided it didn't need it. It was noticeable and such but my Audi is basically to and from work and it was just one option I could live without. You're going to find that everyone on the forums is going to say to get it because the people that read the forums are the enthusiasts. Drive both and decide.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
I didn't get it. I thought long and hard about it but decided it didn't need it. It was noticeable and such but my Audi is basically to and from work and it was just one option I could live without. You're going to find that everyone on the forums is going to say to get it because the people that read the forums are the enthusiasts. Drive both and decide.
I felt the same way and I just couldn't see myself changing the settings very often, so why spend the money.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't care about resale then I'd say you made the right decision. If you do at all, the sport diff is the single most sought after option on the S4. Get it for resale if nothing else.

I felt the same way and I just couldn't see myself changing the settings very often, so why spend the money.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

My SA initially failed to put the Sport Diff option on my order even though the Lease Order specifically listed the option. If I had not dropped by the dealer a week or so later to get my Comm# printout that listed options and MSRP, the mistake may have been caught too late. I'm not sure what I would have done other than place a new order or insist on a significant price reduction to take delivery of the car without the option. A few strongly worded messages and the mistake was fixed.

I think the Sport Diff option will do the most for resale/trade value, more so than Nappa, NAV or B&O. I think ADS can cut both ways depending on its long term reliability and one's desire to modify the suspension.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PLEASE, do NOT get one without it. It can't be retro fitted . Just Saturday, I took a curve in a slushy road at a speed that was higher than I should have been traveling. Felt some hydroplaning. but S4 hung in there . Not sure if that would have occurred without the SD.

Last edited by DrGP; 02-06-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The SD is awesome! Very different feel. Takes a little finesse to really maximize it, but when you get it right, wow! Also, not as impressive, but in the rain, with TC off, I can kick the tail end WAY out. Very fun, but not sure if I could do it in an AWD car without the SD.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...so why spend the money...
Ummmm, because it completely changes (improves) the cornering feel and performance of the car?

Seriously, the $1,300 for the Sports Diff is the best money you could spend on the car from a performance point of view. It isn't about changing settings, it's about making the car corner in a much more balanced, neutral manner.

Quick Reply: Did anyone not order their S4 with...