S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Decision, Exclusive color or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I ordered Sepang in the 3rd week of Oct '11 and it arrived right at the end of Feb '12. Note this also includes the December shutdown at the factory, so if your dealer can get a good manufacture date you should be looking at 4 months MAX.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHman
So I will be ordering a new S5 (yes I know this is the S4 forum) and of course one of the toughest decisions is color. I was going to go with the ECB but the Sepang Blue has caught my attention. I know it's an individual choice but I wish that I could see one in person. The question, has anybody gone through the debate of whether spending the $2.5k for an exclusive color is worth it?

On average, how much time is added to the delivery by going with an exclusive color?

Comparing the ECB to Sepang, it's "only" a $1.5k adder.

I have had the safe colors of black, white and gray and want something a bit different.

I think I would get ECB. $1500 on a colour over and above $1000 you're already spending seems a bit much when they're not dramatically different. Both are interesting, but darkish, blues.

If I were getting an exclusive colour I would make sure it's something awesome that sells well because when you try to sell the car it can be a hinderance or a help...depends what way you go.

Is there a Nogaro Blue B8 S4 yet? That'd be pretty cool. How about Suzuka Grey, also known as white? It's pretty neat to look at and quite popular.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

not sure why anyone would pay for suzuka gray when you can just get either ice silver or glacier white for 2k less
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I think I would get ECB. $1500 on a colour over and above $1000 you're already spending seems a bit much when they're not dramatically different. Both are interesting, but darkish, blues.

If I were getting an exclusive colour I would make sure it's something awesome that sells well because when you try to sell the car it can be a hinderance or a help...depends what way you go.

Is there a Nogaro Blue B8 S4 yet? That'd be pretty cool. How about Suzuka Grey, also known as white? It's pretty neat to look at and quite popular.
sakimano, I understand the potential risk associated with getting an exclusive color, specifically Sepang Blue. While this could impact the resale value it is not my top priority. ECB is a great color but I am drawn to SB. The safe bet would be to pick black, white or gray but not this time. Been there done that and I need a change.

Suzuka Grey does look nice but, judging by pictures, is close to an off-white. Not sure that I can justify paying the $2.5k adder for that.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sakimano, I understand the potential risk associated with getting an exclusive color, specifically Sepang Blue. While this could impact the resale value it is not my top priority. ECB is a great color but I am drawn to SB. The safe bet would be to pick black, white or gray but not this time. Been there done that and I need a change.

Suzuka Grey does look nice but, judging by pictures, is close to an off-white. Not sure that I can justify paying the $2.5k adder for that.
Really the only person to whom one needs to justify a custom color is to himself. If one is willing to spend the extra $2500 then thumbs-up!

Resale value be damned!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, Sepang isn't going to be a negative factor when it comes to resale. It likely won't add any resale value, but I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like Sepang on the B8. It's not one of those loud, polarizing colors like Solar Orange, Imola, or that bright green that somebody has. Heck, I'd even say it's safer than Sprint Blue.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
IMO, Sepang isn't going to be a negative factor when it comes to resale. It likely won't add any resale value, but I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like Sepang on the B8. It's not one of those loud, polarizing colors like Solar Orange, Imola, or that bright green that somebody has. Heck, I'd even say it's safer than Sprint Blue.
helix, I agree with your statements. While resale is a consideration, it is not my top priority. I would rather have no regrets on ordering my car specifically on the color.

I was going to order an M3 and my color choice would've been Interlagos Blue. However it is the same with most going with the safe color choice of Alpine White, Jerez Black or Space Gray. Like Audi, they have polarizing colors such as Fire Engine Orange, Lime Green or Dakar Yellow. Some would like these color but few would actually own them.

I feel the demand for blue will be there whether ECB, Moonlight or Sepang.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by helix139
I agree with this. It's really not that wild. I saw an R8 5.2 in Sepang about 2 or 3 years ago (audi test vehicle) and it looked nice, but not flashy or anything. I thought it looked a little tame almost.

Nogaro is purplish and crazy. Sprint is bright and I think far more loud than Sepang. Sepang is exciting but just understated enough.

Estoril is a little more tame, but beautiful. It's basically navy blue with some flair. I have always loved the navy Audis (Moro Blue on the B6/7 S4 and Mugello Blue on the Rs4)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

dont forget Ocean Blue Pearl lol. But yea, Sepang Blue is my fav blue from Audi and would be my choice of blue.

But if I was going with a custom color, Java Green would be one of my top choices. Awesome color and green is not even my favorite color

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewt...?f=19&t=287901
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
Sepang is exciting but just understated enough.
Here's your quote on a previous thread about this color: "When I saw a B8 in Sepang I thought it was kind of boring."

Did I miss out on something? Which is it? Lol.

And no, my feelings won't get hurt either way

Quick Reply: Decision, Exclusive color or not