S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

CPO warranty coverage from previous ECU flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
It is my understanding that a Tuned car cannot be CPO'd. But that would not stop some dealers from doing so. Is it possible that the original owner who had the car tuned, had the car reflashed back to stock specs and the dealer was initially unaware? (Just trying to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt) Vag com changes do not void the warranty. My Audi service manager friend has told me that once they hook the car up to their computer, it automatically searches for any tunes and automatically sends the info to AOA. Dealer has no leeway as to whether to report it or not. Also wondering if they had any info on the slipping clutch problem . I have experienced major clutch slippage(and burning) when shifing 1/2 in Dynamic under WOT
I was under the same understanding that a modified car could not be CPO'd. I have a sneaking suspicion that this dealer did not perform the proper inspection procedures. I think you are spot on that the previous owner flashed it and reverted to stock. Is there some type of indication within the ECU that would keep record of something like this? There has to be, otherwise everyone would flash the car modded and flash back to stock if they ever had to visit the dealer under warranty. I was told the exact same thing that the dealer has no control over the report of ECU mods back to AOA. I will have to contact the dealer for all records associated with this car to see if the clutch ever came up. I am most likely riding with a clutch that has been abused under modified power.

Is this a sign that I should just Stage III this thing?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm...could be the car still has the aftermarket tune on it and was flashed back to the "stock" tune mode? I thought if you completely uninstall the tune and revert back to the original OEM stock tune, there wouldn't be any TD1 signals. Maybe you can dig for your ecu and see if any of the original seals have been broken?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CBE B8 S4
Is this a sign that I should just Stage III this thing?
Ha, it might be.

The whole thing sucks. The problem (beyond the whole problem of how the hell did it get CPO'd if it had been flashed), is proving a negative. They say it's been flashed, you say well I didn't do it, they say oh yeah? Prove it.

How the hell are you supposed to prove that you didn't do something? Crazy.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars can definitely not be CPO'd if they have been flashed, which is why I thought it was funny looking at the Stasis S4 that was advertised as being CPO.

There also have been lots of people who get the ECU tune erased and have had warranty work done. Supposedly they cannot tell if it's properly done, so I'm betting you are still tuned. Look up the program switching ability for a few of the tuning companies, some of them use the wiper stalk to change programs. You may be in "stock mode" right now.

Since you bought it blindly and had no idea I either would:

1) Make them pay YOU the average cost premium of a CPO vs non-CPO back, and ensure they keep your regular 50,000 mile warranty intact (while you keep the tune).

2) Have them re-instate the originally CPO warranty and flash your car back to how it should be stock.

Either way it's not your fault, and I'm sure they know that.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they sold you a CPO car then the understanding when you bought it was that it has a warranty, and you bought it specifically because it was CPO'd. If they are now telling you otherwise then they are breaching contract or some other legal wrongdoing, but it seems to me that you have a legitimate legal claim. I think it would be worth the expense of consulting an attorney for advice.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toecutter
If they sold you a CPO car then the understanding when you bought it was that it has a warranty, and you bought it specifically because it was CPO'd. If they are now telling you otherwise then they are breaching contract or some other legal wrongdoing, but it seems to me that you have a legitimate legal claim. I think it would be worth the expense of consulting an attorney for advice.
Not bad advice if Audi doesn't make things right.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

The overall situation sucks. I am interested in how AoA will engage. I spoke to someone there about a dealership and a used car, and they made it pretty clear there was an arm's length relationship there... not even an empathetic acknowledgement about the situation.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got an update from AOA yesterday, they are waiting to hear more information from the dealer who CPO'd the car. I will let you guys know what update I get today. Overall AOA has been very accomodating but I won't speak too soon until this is settled.

Can anyone advise on the tuning companies who I should contact so I can determine what software is on this car? I know of APR and REVO, does GIAC or any others offer ECU flashing that can revert to stock? I may have to bring it to a shop nearby and see if they can scan it and find out what software she has. I know there are plenty of them in the Northern VA, MD and DC area.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another way to check is to call the APR/Giac etc and give them your VIN. They have a record of every one that has their tune. It would assist you in seeing when it was actually done versus the CPO. My bet you will need this info to get resolution. Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
It is my understanding that a Tuned car cannot be CPO'd. But that would not stop some dealers from doing so. Is it possible that the original owner who had the car tuned, had the car reflashed back to stock specs and the dealer was initially unaware? (Just trying to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt) Vag com changes do not void the warranty. My Audi service manager friend has told me that once they hook the car up to their computer, it automatically searches for any tunes and automatically sends the info to AOA. Dealer has no leeway as to whether to report it or not. Also wondering if they had any info on the slipping clutch problem . I have experienced major clutch slippage(and burning) when shifing 1/2 in Dynamic under WOT

This is correct; when I turned in my 2010 S4 which had the Stasis ECU flash, they could not officially CPO it. Steven's Creek was super cool and actually thought they might even be able to get more $$$ for it since the car was in great shape and to the right buyer, they want the ECU flash.

The dealer should not have CPO'ed that car, nor should they have sold it to you as CPO. Good luck with your fight, I would hope you win this one!

Quick Reply: CPO warranty coverage from previous ECU flash