S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Couldn't Move

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couldn't Move

I think there was another thread on this but I can't find it. In a parking lot today I had to jam the brakes because of a lady who backed out fast without looking. When I tried to go again, I couldn't. The brakes were holding me there. This had happened once before on a merge where the guy in front stopped short.

I guess it's a safety feature in case you were knocked out or something, but is there some trick to get going again quickly? It took me several minutes until it let me go on my way. I had turned the car off and on a couple times and I don't think that fixed anything, I think it just timed out and released me.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, never heard of this. No way this is intentional or a "safety feature" as not being able to move your car when you need to can NEVER be a good thing. Something else going on here.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I think there was another thread on this but I can't find it. In a parking lot today I had to jam the brakes because of a lady who backed out fast without looking. When I tried to go again, I couldn't. The brakes were holding me there. This had happened once before on a merge where the guy in front stopped short.

I guess it's a safety feature in case you were knocked out or something, but is there some trick to get going again quickly? It took me several minutes until it let me go on my way. I had turned the car off and on a couple times and I don't think that fixed anything, I think it just timed out and released me.
I remember that older thread, it was written by you!!!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2804389
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
I remember that older thread, it was written by you!!!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2804389
Damn, the alhzeimer's is strong with me!

Hm. Well it's due for service in a week or two, I'll report back...if I remember!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Damn, the alhzeimer's is strong with me!

Hm. Well it's due for service in a week or two, I'll report back...if I remember!
Meh, just a seniors moment - and a funny one at that ;-) Happens to the best of us!

Strange problem to have tho - I and lots of others I know have gone full ABS and beyond countless times, never had this issue
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old timers disease!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just for the record, I knew it had happened to me before, and I knew there had been a thread, I just forgot it was me who started the thread. So I'm batting .660! (It sounds better in baseball terms than it does in grade terms, which would be a "D", which now that I think about it may actually stand for "Dumbass").

Somewhat interestingly it was slightly different this time - last time I had all the dashboard lights going crazy, this time it was only the 'Parking Brake" light, which wouldn't go off whether the brake was activated or released. There's a gremlin in there somewhere I just hope it's not one of these: