S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering a 2013 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue EsponTTe
I'm most torn on the sports diff especially after my experience with Volvo's active suspension. Part of me is thinking that I should just err on the side of getting it. As for the active suspension, I've yet to read an article on any car's active chassis settings that has convinced me its really worth it. They all seem to boil down to a neat gimmick that is better executed through adjustable coilovers.
Another reason to get sports diff, especially if you do not get ADS, is the ability to adjust steering effort, throttle response, etc. In particular the standard steering effort is too light for my taste; dynamic is better. Dynamic throttle response is also more fun.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
When I test drove the S4 in San Francisco I found the ride was quite harsh in both comfort and dynamic mode and was having a hard time noticing the difference. Maybe after more driving I will see it, but it wasn't a case of "holy crap that's really different!!!" This also influenced my choice in getting the 18's because the 19's on the test vehicle rode really hard. I like the extra performance, but I'm also going to drive this car on regular roads a lot and with my family.

I think 18's on firm will be all the fun I want. I'll probably leave it normal mode most of the time, and use the other two modes for special occasions while appropriate.
You were probably in a car that had the Sports Diff only... Comfort mode wouldn't change the ride quality at all. The adaptive suspension changes it ALOT.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Did this car have adaptive suspension?
It was supposed to, but no way to verify now
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
It was supposed to, but no way to verify now
I had a similar experience... sales guy was full of BS. I now ask for a copy of the sticker, or a pull of the VIN.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Normally I wouldn't hesitate the throw a car salesman under the bus but this one was one of our own. It's possible that the team gave him the wrong car though. He originally scheduled a different car for me and the lot car jockey brought out the wrong car and we had to scramble around to get another one. Either way, the car is ordered with it, and I hope it turns out more variable than on the test drive. The streets in SF really are utter crap and could have been worse than the system could handle.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Picked up my S4 with Sport Diff, no ADS and 19" peelers, today. I'm very pleased with the ride; not too harsh at all, even on the bumpy and pitted NY winter roads.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

I feel the Sports Diff is the real deal. It's a very noticeable improvement with spirited cornering. The steering in Dynamic mode feels a little too heavy and artificial to me, but you can de-select that in an Individual setting mode.

Nobody emphasized one of the best features of the Drive Select - the tuneable exhaust. If you're like me and sick of messing with aftermarket stuff to get a decent sound out of your S4, the ADS option gives your engine a nice note when in Dynamic mode.

My kid and nephew "borrowed" my S4 for a test drive in this video. It'll give you an idea of the in-car sound with ADS in Dynamic mode.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by broadbandjim
I feel the Sports Diff is the real deal. It's a very noticeable improvement with spirited cornering. The steering in Dynamic mode feels a little too heavy and artificial to me, but you can de-select that in an Individual setting mode.

Nobody emphasized one of the best features of the Drive Select - the tuneable exhaust. If you're like me and sick of messing with aftermarket stuff to get a decent sound out of your S4, the ADS option gives your engine a nice note when in Dynamic mode.

My kid and nephew "borrowed" my S4 for a test drive in this video. It'll give you an idea of the in-car sound with ADS in Dynamic mode.

2013 Audi S4 - Sport Exhaust, Review, Acceleration, 125mph - YouTube
I was personally disappointed by the noisemaker in the 2013 because it feels gimmicky to be faking the noise. I would have rather had Audi actually put the R&D money into a valved exhaust rather than the buzzy soundaktor device.