S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cold Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Engine

I've read many threads, and the manual makes reference, to "cold engine" vs. a "warm engine." At what point on the temperature gauge is an engine deemed to be "warm" and ready for heavy driving? The manual is vary vague.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugs11
I've read many threads, and the manual makes reference, to "cold engine" vs. a "warm engine." At what point on the temperature gauge is an engine deemed to be "warm" and ready for heavy driving? The manual is vary vague.
Actually, it would be better to use oil temp as a barometer for engine temp rather than water temperature. You can activate an oil temp gauge using the Vag com and it comes with a lap timer. Otherwise, depending on outside temps I would allow 10 minutes after the water temp gauge is in the middle of the gauge to be sure. 5 minutes in temps above 85 F
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

According to the manual, you use the engine temperature gauge to judge when the engine is warmed up. You should notice that the gauge will be pointing all the way down in the "cold" position when you start your car. It'll move to the center tic-mark when it's properly warmed up (according to the manual).
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoNavy
According to the manual, you use the engine temperature gauge to judge when the engine is warmed up. You should notice that the gauge will be pointing all the way down in the "cold" position when you start your car. It'll move to the center tic-mark when it's properly warmed up (according to the manual).
Based on my experience, when the water temp gauge initially reaches the center, there is still no reading for oil temp . I believe the oil temp is more important than the water temp. So I would wait a little longer. I have also experienced that in cold weather, the water temp comes up VERY quickly. I can't believe in cold conditions the car would be adequately warmed up.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^This. Always go by the oil temperature whenever possible. The water temp gauge is not an indicator of the engine being warmed up enough to go WOT.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subiesleeper
^^This. Always go by the oil temperature whenever possible. The water temp gauge is not an indicator of the engine being warmed up enough to go WOT.
I'm not disputing that oil temp is important, but if it is so critical to avoid abusing a cold engine, then why is the oil temp only accessible via a Vag-COM mod and not OEM standard? Furthermore, if engine temp is so important, and break-in period so important, then why doesn't Audi limit engine RPM below a certain temp and below a certain number of miles? That would be easy fort them to build into the system. The fact that they do not do that leads me to conclude that it really isn't that important.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not disputing that oil temp is important, but if it is so critical to avoid abusing a cold engine, then why is the oil temp only accessible via a Vag-COM mod and not OEM standard? Furthermore, if engine temp is so important, and break-in period so important, then why doesn't Audi limit engine RPM below a certain temp and below a certain number of miles? That would be easy fort them to build into the system. The fact that they do not do that leads me to conclude that it really isn't that important.
Remind me to NEVER let you borrow my car
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Banned

It makes no sense to me why Audi doesn't actiavte certain feature of the car like the oil temp. It cost them nothing. I think you conclusion is mistaken. Its not that its not important, it just that they really don't care enough to do it,
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
It makes no sense to me why Audi doesn't actiavte certain feature of the car like the oil temp. It cost them nothing. I think you conclusion is mistaken. Its not that its not important, it just that they really don't care enough to do it,
That's what I mean... it costs them nothing, so why not do it? I'm an enthusiast like everyone else around here, and I'll wait the 10 minutes to bring up the oil temp, just because I'm **** like that and it doesn't take much effort. I'm sure it has value. I'm just saying that in general when there are equally qualified experts with varying opinions on an issue, with no general consensus, then that typically means there is not a right answer.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I mean... it costs them nothing, so why not do it? I'm an enthusiast like everyone else around here, and I'll wait the 10 minutes to bring up the oil temp, just because I'm **** like that and it doesn't take much effort. I'm sure it has value. I'm just saying that in general when there are equally qualified experts with varying opinions on an issue, with no general consensus, then that typically means there is not a right answer.
I'm not sure how you read this thread and say there's not consensus. Anyway, it's always been the case that you can find people on every side of every question, even things that aren't disputable. The internet just makes it more apparent because billions of people have internet access, and each one of them has an opinion (regardless of whether they should), and you can see them all.

The important thing is for the engine block mass and associated moving metal parts to reach equilibrium, and the oil temperature is the best representation available for that. Coolant will reach its stable/hot temperature (and your heater will blow hot air) roughly 10 minutes before the oil reaches temperature.

Also, the trend in *everything* is to dumb it down, and give the fewest indications that could be (mis)interpreted as a problem. "What they don't know won't hurt 'em" is the motto of the marketing and product definition folks.

Last edited by EF99; 02-10-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Engine