S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clutch slipping at 4,500 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine goes down when shifting while driving on a straight road but actually goes up or at least doesn't drop if I am accelerating and shifting on a curve. RPMs just hang there. Happens at low speeds 1/2 shift as well. But always when shifting and turning simultaneously
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KZEVO
when you engage the clutch to shift, does the RPM go up before going down or does it go down directly? That to me is a better indication of clutch slipping.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never had an issue with hard or smooth shifts being indicative of a clutch slippage. It's how you balance the the throttle and clutch engagement that determines the smoothness of the shift.
No RPM bounce. But no lurch forward on a hard shift either. So in a perfect world, you match the RPMs to the shift, and the shift would be silky smooth. I used to have to match the RPMs pretty close to get a smooth shift. Now, after whatever happened this weekend, there is noticeably more room for error with the RPM matching. I could be a couple hundred RPMs off, especially in the high gears, and the shift will still be really smooth. Almost like some of the "bite" is gone... This was all after 1 hard run after a rolling start in 1st, through 4th. Not sure if something got messed up, or if after a few hard runs, the clutch has lost that "new clutch bite"... Does that make sense at all?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of "CDV".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve

not sure if b8 s4 has it (can anyone chime in on this?) but on my boxster I did the cdv switch defeat to disable the clutch delay. it gives me total control of the clutch action.

Last edited by 4SIDUA; 10-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Well, after another 500 or so miles, clutch feel is back. Very odd. About 200 miles ago, I started paying very close attention to the engagement point, shifting very quickly with the minimal clutch movement. Upshifts and downshifts. After about 200 miles of paying close attention to the shift points, the clutch is back into "Dynamic" mode. I can actually make a mistake now and get a jerky shift again! Still not sure what got knocked out of whack in the first place. Glazed clutch? Over heated fluid? Haven't been able to get an explanation that makes 100% sense yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Check out these pictures : http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/36992.phtml
Old 10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP

Damn..should have read this before I did the tune and pulley...

but I probably would have still done them. I guess I need to start looking for a replacement/non-oem clutch....

Suggestions, anyone??

Thanks for posting GP.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bandersen
Damn..should have read this before I did the tune and pulley...

but I probably would have still done them. I guess I need to start looking for a replacement/non-oem clutch....

Suggestions, anyone??

Thanks for posting GP.
Ugh, I'm still hoping this is some kind of isolated issue or defect...I basically flipped a coin when deciding between DSG and 6MT, but I'd hate to think that the MT was really that much weaker than the DSG. After the warranty is over there's a chip and pulley going to be finding a home on my car!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IceAero
Ugh, I'm still hoping this is some kind of isolated issue or defect...I basically flipped a coin when deciding between DSG and 6MT, but I'd hate to think that the MT was really that much weaker than the DSG. After the warranty is over there's a chip and pulley going to be finding a home on my car!
Right there with you. My heart said to go with the 6MT, but now I'm a little scared to drive it too hard. One of my concerns is making a case for warranty repair on the 6MT (if needed). With any manual really, you are guilty until proven innocent on clutch issues. "Driver Abuse" is the common claim. At least with the DSG the "Driver Abuse" stance should be a little harder for the dealer to throw at you.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned

I have the 6mt no tune. If you are thinking about a tune, I would suggest going DSG OR replacing the clutch /pressure plate/flywheels first. Or just blow it up and then replace. It shouldn't take much. I love the 6mt.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I have the 6mt no tune. If you are thinking about a tune, I would suggest going DSG OR replacing the clutch /pressure plate/flywheels first. Or just blow it up and then replace. It shouldn't take much. I love the 6mt.
Even with my prior statement, I love the 6MT too...

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping at 4,500 miles??