S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

clutch nightmare

Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has never done that. It always disengages, but I have a 6MT. You have a DSG. Maybe some diff?

I never hit the brake pedal, always disengages forward or reverse, when car starts to move.

Bruce
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
mine has never done that. It always disengages, but I have a 6MT. You have a DSG. Maybe some diff?

I never hit the brake pedal, always disengages forward or reverse, when car starts to move.

Bruce
Maybe you do it without realizing it. But it wont disengage unless you press on the brake.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

rktskicar is right. I have a 6MT and if I buckle up then just let the clutch out in gear it will disengage.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I never touch the brake, so I don't agree with you, sorry man.

Check it out for yourself.

Bruce
old, crabby, and still working for some reason.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCHALTHEBELKNAUF
rktskicar is right. I have a 6MT and if I buckle up then just let the clutch out in gear it will disengage.
Originally Posted by rktskicar
I never touch the brake, so I don't agree with you, sorry man.

Check it out for yourself.

Bruce
old, crabby, and still working for some reason.
I completely take back what I said. I spent the last couple days trying out different things and its all about the seat belt. I have never not worn a seat belt so I always thought it was from touching the brake that would set it off.

You guys are right and thats what forums are for, learning from others. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

With a 6MT you have to have your foot on the brake to manually disengage (use your finger) the parking brake. But it will automatically disengage once you get some forward motion (or reverse motion if in reverse). That feature can be a lifesaver when stopped on a steep hill.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ghbmd
With a 6MT you have to have your foot on the brake to manually disengage (use your finger) the parking brake. But it will automatically disengage once you get some forward motion (or reverse motion if in reverse). That feature can be a lifesaver when stopped on a steep hill.
Nope, not the case. I thought that too but I was wrong. Once you slide it into gear(and your seatbelt is fastened) it will disengage the parking brake. Go try it, I did!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Nope, not the case. I thought that too but I was wrong. Once you slide it into gear(and your seatbelt is fastened) it will disengage the parking brake. Go try it, I did!
Are you driving a manual manual or automatic? Because I can confirm that the parking brake in a 6 speed can only be disengaged in two ways: (1) if you have your foot on the brake, you can use your finger to manually disengage the parking brake with your finger. This is regardless of whether or not you are in gear with the clutch down or in neutral; and (2) If you have your seatbelt fastened and you have the parking brake on and begin to move forward (or in reverse while in revers) the parking brake will automatically disengage.

If what you said was correct ("Once you slide it into gear(and your seatbelt is fastened) it will disengage the parking brake") then this sytstem would not work at all as a hill assist sysytem- i.e. holding your car in place on a hill to keep it from rolling backwards. And it clearly does work this way.

Can anyone out there with a 6MT back me up?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ghbmd
Are you driving a manual manual or automatic? Because I can confirm that the parking brake in a 6 speed can only be disengaged in two ways: (1) if you have your foot on the brake, you can use your finger to manually disengage the parking brake with your finger. This is regardless of whether or not you are in gear with the clutch down or in neutral; and (2) If you have your seatbelt fastened and you have the parking brake on and begin to move forward (or in reverse while in revers) the parking brake will automatically disengage.

If what you said was correct ("") then this sytstem would not work at all as a hill assist sysytem- i.e. holding your car in place on a hill to keep it from rolling backwards. And it clearly does work this way.

Can anyone out there with a 6MT back me up?
Yes, I drive a manual(its clearly in my signature). And I didnt disagree with either of your statements you posted above. However, we do not have hill assist in our car. Also, I can see how youre taking my statement very literally. So, Ill adapt it better: Once you slide it into gear(and your seatbelt is fastened) AND START TO MOVE it will disengage the parking brake.

Last edited by HyperS4; 08-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

6MT: You have to either 1) manually disengage with your finger w/ foot on brake, or 2) drive forward or backward with seatbelt on. Just putting it in gear will not disengage the brake. You have actually have to go somewhere. I just double checked this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch nightmare