S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clear Coat Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdef
Paint pen for a dull spot? Come on. The only way to get off a dull spot, or light etching from bird crap or type 2 water stains is HOURS of hand polishing or a few minutes with a PC (not at all the same as an orbital or rotary buffer). With light polish, like Maguiar's swirl remover, and a PC you would be very hard pressed to do the clearcoat any harm.

If you have a dull spot and you take it to a pro, I'll eat my hat if they don't hit it with a PC for a few minutes and be done.
I agree that the paint/clear pen is likely not needed and will end up causing the spot to look worse, it's a dull spot that is 1/2" not a hairline scratch???

I will have to disagree about using a high speed buffer with a light polish being "hard pressed" to do some damage. Buffing a car is an art, a high speed buffer in the hands of someone who does not know what they are doing can cause some burnt clear/paint pretty quickly. Unless the OP has had some seat time running a high speed buffer I would suggest getting with someone who has that can show him the ropes. Also running out and purchasing everything he will need to do paint correction will likely far exceed what it would cost to have a pro do a quick spot correction.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read here: http://www.autogeek.net/meg9swirrem.html

Whether you’re noticing the very first tiny swirl marks on your newer car or you’re dealing with swirls that seem to have been etched into the surface of an older vehicle, Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover can help you undo the damage. The experts at Meguiar’s have over 100 years of detailing knowledge to draw upon, so it’s not at all surprising they would create an easy-to-use product to address problematic swirls. This is the ultimate two-in-one! The powerful cleaner/polisher in #9 Swirl Remover pulls up dirt and grime and reduces the appearance of swirl marks and minor scratches.

Meguiar’s intended #9 Swirl Remover to be highly effective, yet so easy to use that anyone, from a detailing newbie to a professional detailer, can achieve equally impressive results. #9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive and safe for all paints, including clear coats. You can choose your favorite method of application: Hand rubbing, orbital buffer, or dual action polisher! The results speak for themselves—high-gloss finish with a newly-painted luster that grabs the eye and commands attention. That finish is exactly why #9 Swirl Remover is so popular with professional detailers and motoring hobbyists.

I've used this stuff extensively on my cars with exceptional results.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdef
Read here: http://www.autogeek.net/meg9swirrem.html

Whether you’re noticing the very first tiny swirl marks on your newer car or you’re dealing with swirls that seem to have been etched into the surface of an older vehicle, Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover can help you undo the damage. The experts at Meguiar’s have over 100 years of detailing knowledge to draw upon, so it’s not at all surprising they would create an easy-to-use product to address problematic swirls. This is the ultimate two-in-one! The powerful cleaner/polisher in #9 Swirl Remover pulls up dirt and grime and reduces the appearance of swirl marks and minor scratches.

Meguiar’s intended #9 Swirl Remover to be highly effective, yet so easy to use that anyone, from a detailing newbie to a professional detailer, can achieve equally impressive results. #9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive and safe for all paints, including clear coats. You can choose your favorite method of application: Hand rubbing, orbital buffer, or dual action polisher! The results speak for themselves—high-gloss finish with a newly-painted luster that grabs the eye and commands attention. That finish is exactly why #9 Swirl Remover is so popular with professional detailers and motoring hobbyists.

I've used this stuff extensively on my cars with exceptional results.
You can choose your favorite method of application: Hand rubbing, orbital buffer, or dual action polisher

This is not the equivalent of using a high speed buffer, these are relatively safe methods that even a detailing newb would have a hard time doing significant damage. I'm not trying to give you a hard time but simply advising that the OP does not use a high speed device without being shown the ropes by an experienced detailer.