S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clear Bra & Tint Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra & Tint Recommendations?

Hello All,

In preparation for my S4's arrival, I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. Since this will be my daily driver, is it worth it to get a clear bra put on it? Please keep in mind that the paint color I have is Glacier White.
2. If you do recommend a clear bra, could you please provide recommendations of ones I should consider purchasing with some links to preferred vendors?
3. Regarding window tint, I plan on running what is legal in Michigan, but is there such a thing as different grades of tint quality (not tint %, actual quality of the tint).

Thank you for your help!

-Taxmaster
Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have an Ibis White S4 with Xpel Ultimate film covering the full front bumper, partial hood / fenders, door strip, door cups and luggage strip on rear bumper. With a white car, you need to pay particular attention to keeping the film clean and sealed to avoid / clean up yellowing, which is easier to see on white than any other color. I use the Xpel clean or Dawn for cleaning and the Xpel sealer. Xpel comes with a 10 year warranty including warranty coverage for permanent yellowing.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on your driving. This is the fourth car on which I have had PPF installed (other 3 were 3M, which was also a good product) and would not go without it. Most of my driving is high speed turnpike travel, with gravel around from road construction. My last car without it had dozens of chips all over the front of the car.

I don't mind having partial hood and fenders even though doing so leaves a seam. Some seem to positively hate it and cover their entire hood and fenders. I don't care about the seam and find partial coverage most cost effective. I do have 2 chips on the uncovered portion of the hood, but can live with that vs. having them all over the bumper and front portions of the hood and fenders.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello All - I just got a quote for a clear bra and tint and nearly soiled my undergarments, so I need some confirmation if these are in the ballpark.

3M Clear Bra - $963 including labor - hood, fascia, fenders, and mirrors
Tint - $299 - All windows

Please let me know if these prices are reasonable or if I'm being taken to the cleaners. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's not bad if full hood and fenders. High if partial hood and fenders.

I got Xpel ultimate full bumper, partial hood / fenders, headlights, luggage strip on trunk, door cups and door strips + window tint for about $1,000. Xpel has 10 year warranty and unless they changed it 3M has 5 years. Both are good products.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
That's not bad if full hood and fenders. High if partial hood and fenders.

I got Xpel ultimate full bumper, partial hood / fenders, headlights, luggage strip on trunk, door cups and door strips + window tint for about $1,000. Xpel has 10 year warranty and unless they changed it 3M has 5 years. Both are good products.
Well for the Xpel, I just got quoted the same thing you did ($1,000 for partial + tint). Apparently, it's very expensive to do the full hood and fenders, as that package is $1,700.

Is this a rip off or is it worth it? Please keep in mind, white car driving on a gravel road...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could almost pave the road for that cost...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it more of a concern if you're following a car closely on gravel? Couldn't you augment that risk by simply backing away from the car in front of you? I know that's a simplistic way of looking at it, but it helps limit risk.

In my opinion it's great to have it, but anything over $1K and you've lost me... That kind of scratch buys a lot of goodies. How long are you keeping the car? Is it a drive it until it's dead purchase? If so, that would sway my opinion.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The tint is paramount though. Do invest in a good shop where others have gone -- one that is familiar with Audis. Avoid frying your amp and causing all kinds of headaches...
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Bees
You could almost pave the road for that cost...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it more of a concern if you're following a car closely on gravel? Couldn't you augment that risk by simply backing away from the car in front of you? I know that's a simplistic way of looking at it, but it helps limit risk.

In my opinion it's great to have it, but anything over $1K and you've lost me... That kind of scratch buys a lot of goodies. How long are you keeping the car? Is it a drive it until it's dead purchase? If so, that would sway my opinion.
Technically no one drives that road except for me and a few other people, so chances of me being behind someone are slim, but still, rocks get flung up on other roads and there is nothing you really can do about it. On top of that, it's Michigan, so there is always road work and debris is always flying up in the air from the cars in front of you.

I just want to about the paint chips in areas where it is most likely to happen. I'm wondering if it may be smart to do the rockers or rear bumper .... I did purchase the Aluoptic package...

By the way - no plan on frying my amp. Relevance??? Just confused lol
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, I get it... It's really nice, but $1,700 is a lot of dough. I'm sure that you could whittle that down if you make a friend at the dealer?...

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Technically no one drives that road except for me and a few other people, so chances of me being behind someone are slim, but still, rocks get flung up on other roads and there is nothing you really can do about it. On top of that, it's Michigan, so there is always road work and debris is always flying up in the air from the cars in front of you.

I just want to about the paint chips in areas where it is most likely to happen. I'm wondering if it may be smart to do the rockers or rear bumper .... I did purchase the Aluoptic package...

By the way - no plan on frying my amp. Relevance??? Just confused lol
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Bees
No, I get it... It's really nice, but $1,700 is a lot of dough. I'm sure that you could whittle that down if you make a friend at the dealer?...
Believe it or not, that was the wittled down price!!!! It was originally $1,950 because of how expensive the big sheets are to do the hood.

By the way - what's with the amplifier comment?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra & Tint Recommendations?