S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Can I get my deposit back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get my deposit back?

I might not be able to get the S4 I am trying to help out a family member financially, and I am not exactly rolling in the dough lately, so buying a S4 would be a stretch. I don't want to be burdened with car payment really. I think it would come out to about 1300/month with no down payment for 4 years, because the car will be about 60K after taxes. I put down $1000 deposit and I wonder if I would have to forfeit it. If I cancel an order do the dealer give my deposit back?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
I might not be able to get the S4 I am trying to help out a family member financially, and I am not exactly rolling in the dough lately, so buying a S4 would be a stretch. I don't want to be burdened with car payment really. I think it would come out to about 1300/month with no down payment for 4 years, because the car will be about 60K after taxes. I put down $1000 deposit and I wonder if I would have to forfeit it. If I cancel an order do the dealer give my deposit back?
um - i think that's a question you need to ask your dealer. most are refundable, but that's a good thing to be clear on before you part with the money.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dude, wtf? You came here about the same time as me, ordered within a couple of days of me, our cars are on the boat most likely and you're bailing? We have maybe two weeks until we get the cars, maybe onlt one week, you can't bail now!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My dealer said it will be between August and September before I can get the car. But I got some unexpected things going on now...you know how life never works out the way you planned it. If my situation improves when the car arrives, I'll get it. But priorities, priorities you know...family matters always takes precedence over nice cars...evern S4...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

family rules! Good luck man! Been there before.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

One dealer I work with in MI gave me the impression that DPs are nonrefundable, but another dealer in PA told me that he thought it was unethical and perhaps illegal to keep deposits when an order is cancelled. I don't know the correct answer, but I can tell you I got my deposit back from both dealers when they were unable to get an allocation in a reasonable amount of time.

Even if they are able to keep deposits, I think most dealers would give yours back without any hassle, especially if the car is not built and you seem like a customer they would like to have in the future. Just tell them your finances have changed temporarily so you need to hold off on a purchase for now and need the money. I would be amazed if you didn't get your money back.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

better to act now, then wait for it to be delivered to the dealer, will only make things worse.. i say get out now if your getting out, you can always time the car for when it comes int to scoop it if things change and it gets delivered to the dealer or the port. 99.9% of the time dealers will wait a week or longer to order there release from port, because they dont wanna pay them once there on the floor plan.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

It depends from state to state, but by law, most states require that all deposits are refundable. It sucks for the dealer because they have to use an alotment and pony up a loan to buy the car. For a hot selling car with safe options and colors they probably will not make a big deal. When you order a fully loaded car with a unique color combo and it's $60k, they may give you a hard time. They can't argue though if your state requires it to be refundable. They will simply give you a hard time and hate you.

It sounds to me that you were pushing it to begin with. $1300/month + NYC car insurance with good coverage is not cheap. That's rent / mortgage payment for some.

Take care of your family first, even if it means losing $1k. Don't force yourself to buy a $60k car to not lose $1k and risk your family's financial situation and yours. If you push to buy the car, you may be forced to give it up and lose more than just $1k.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The state laws govern.

My wife bailed on a build order for a BMW 328i coupe once and had to have her credit card reverse the deposit to get her money back. We are in NY.

You can convert the S4 purchase to a lease or probably negotiate down to an A4 with the dealer.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for your encouragement. Hopefully my situation will change in a few months, because I am starting a new source of passive income next week. I'll know it if works in a couple of months. I still want to get the S4 if I can. BTW I've been noticing a lot of 2010 S4's in my neighborhood. Sometimes 2 in a single drive! There sure is no exclusivity anymore. There are way more last model M3's in my neighborhood though, but I don't think they come out in winter.

Quick Reply: Can I get my deposit back?