S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cadi V-Series Lab Even in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadi V-Series Lab Even in AZ

I just attended the V series Lab event this past Friday held in the firebird raceway here in AZ.

I must say going in I was expecting very little from the new Cadi's. I was expecting tons of power with disappointing handling and numb steering feel. I have a co-worker with the V-series coupe who has previously had a 911 Carrera and M6. I also met many 911, M series and Vette owners that swore by the CTS V.

I must say I was quite impressed with what I saw and then drove. I drove the following in their 3 modules:

- ATS - 3.6 liter. They had us drive their new sedan through a number of hard acceleration, braking and emergency lane change tests. Pretty impressed with the power and feel of the car as well as the interior fit and finish. Sounds like they will be putting out a V version in the future, it will be a beast and probably in the S4 price range.
- CTS V Sedan - My favorite of the bunch, looks wise just looks balanced. it is actually a tad faster and has a higher top speed than the coupe. I am not a huge fan of the V Coupe styling. Tons of power on demand, gear box was not as composed as the S4. Handling was sharp and brakes felt amazing (Brembo 6 pistons).
- CTS V Coupe - same for the most part as the sedan, we really had an opportunity to push this car through its paces. Did about 3 laps on the race course and was mostly impressed with its power but again interior was very nice and shows American car company's finally understand what they need to do to compete. Brakes were top notch. Handling was surprisingly good for a Cadi. Tranny was the weakest link, again not terrible.

So final impressions, 65k to about 80K depending on options for the CTS V. By far the best American Sports Sedan / Coupe I have ever driven. This thing can easily keep up with most cars on the road with much more to offer than your typical American Muscle.

Now given the much higher price than the S4, 200 HP+ advantage and the brembo brakes. I would still pick the S4. the S4 does not feel as fast but still it has more then 200 hp less so the cadi should feel that much faster and it didn't. at about .8 faster to 60 the Cadi's 556 HP doesn't seem that impressive. The fact that it is heavier than the S4 probably doesn't help. Handling and Fit and finish hands down go to the S4, no comparison. Although the Recaro seats in the Cadi were pretty sweet. Brembo's were just the best I have seen, not really needed for normal street driving but they felt perfect.

I think the V version of the ATS will definitely put up some competition for the S4. The CTS V with its price is probably set to do batter with V8's from BMW and Mercedes. the CTS V coupe vs the new RS5 would be pretty interesting. I have not seen any articles yet on the head to head for those two.

The event was very well done. They really let you beat their cars and get a good feel for how far the car maker has come.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read the ATS-V is going to have a twin-turbo 6 making around 380hp. This puts it about a half-step below the equivalent compact M, RS and AMG models that I thought the "V" was supposed to stand with.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by moose_head
From what I've read the ATS-V is going to have a twin-turbo 6 making around 380hp. This puts it about a half-step below the equivalent compact M, RS and AMG models that I thought the "V" was supposed to stand with.
The normally aspirated ATS 3.6 already makes 321hp. I think 380hp from a twin-turbo six sounds a little low. I wouldn't be surprised if it is over 400hp.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

ATS-V will be mega tuneable!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great day. Always nice driving the **** out of someone else's car. Agree about the brakes. This is a weak link on our car for the track, streetwise no. The weakest part of the new ATS is the tranny whether auto or manual. Nice to see they are offering the manual. Anyway....