S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brake upgrade recommendations please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade recommendations please..

We've all seen the threads about how bad our brakes squeal (so this isn't meant to be yet another one of those! ). I'm not interested in going to the dealer, or bedding my brakes. I'm purely interested in looking to upgrade my brakes and would like to know, from those that have upgraded, what did you go with, and do your new brakes squeal?

I've been looking at Brembo, Performance Friction and StopTech but not being a mechanic, I'm not sure which is the best ones to go with. My main requirements are:
  1. Quiet
  2. Performs as well, (or better than OEM) on the track
  3. Low brake dust would be a 'nice to have'

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'd be interested to know if others have found something that works. I'm interested in replacing everything (rotors, calipers and pads) if it'll solve the problem.

A mechanic recently told me that I can't fix the squeal because it's how Audi has designed the brakes.. so wouldn't replacing the rotors, calipers and pads solve it?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor

Are you looking for a complete Big Brake Kit replacement or strictly a rotor/pad combo?

Squealing is usually attributed to hard/track compound pads.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't listen much to your mechanic. The brakes don't squeal because of how Audi designed them. The brakes squeal because of the brake pad compound. Squeaking brakes are very common with high performance brake pads. If you just want to get rid of the squeal all you have to do is change the pads.

The three requirements you listed typically don't go together unless you're willing and able to put down big bucks. What's your budget?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good question Matt, and I'm not really sure. I saw the Big Brake Kit from Brembo but the calipers didn't clear on either my winter or summer wheels.

I'm not sure what the definition of a Big Brake Kit is though, or if other manufactures have options, and what a Big Brake Kit provides above slotted rotors and ceramic pads. I'll try and do some research on it though.

Is there a solution out there that allows me to change out my pads when I'm about to head to the track? But wouldn't the pads be married to the rotors?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

atombomb33, I'm glad to hear you say that, because I was thinking the same thing. Regarding the budget, I would start to cringe if things started to get above $2,500. But I'd really like to get it fixed... so that number is flexible.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just my opinion, but you will almost never go wrong with a properly designed Brembo brake kit. Porsche runs them straight from the factory (my 993's calipers actually say BREMBO on the back side), as do many top performing supercars. That said, unless it's improved track performance you are chasing after, you probably only need a new pad compound (and possibly new rotors depending on your current rotor's condition). Just be aware that high-performance characteristics (good initial bite and good fade resistance) frequently mean dusting and squealing... Any brake pad is a compromise, so you must determine what is most important to you and choose a pad that meets your requirements...

I have only had my S4 for two weeks now, and I can already tell that the factory pads are soft (lots of dusting and already a bit of noise occasionally)... Of course, that also means that they are probably easy on rotors. Time will tell (of course).

Mike
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out. Set up is similar to my friend bpp. I know he is using Akebono ceramic pads.He also tracks his car. http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/28842.phtml
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Check this out. Set up is similar to my friend bpp. I know he is using Akebono ceramic pads.He also tracks his car. http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/28842.phtml
Those look awesome! What are they? RS5 brakes? Source?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get RS brakes from europrice.us or any OEM supplier.

I personally went with StopTech after reading a lot of threads on AZ.
OP, I'll let you know how they are once I have them installed.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Rs5 brakes are definitely my first choice but an overkill for everyday driving and a real shot in the rear at $3400 from Europrice.

I suggest you go with the Stoptech ST40 BBK.
They can be bought for right around $2k

Last edited by Audirings4; 01-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade recommendations please..