S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

BMW Owner Contemplating An 2014 Audi S4. *Feedback needed*

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Owner Contemplating An 2014 Audi S4. *Feedback needed*

So I’ve been searching around for my next car. I currently have a 2013 BMW 335i F30 and it is damn fun, lots of torque down low. I honestly want an M3 but prices are still higher than I’m willing to spend, Audi has always had my love always will. Being that I’m looking for a CPO car the Audi S4 are priced very reasonably for a cpo vehicle, it’s an easy buy really. I’m the type of guy who always switches out suspension for coil overs , aftermarket wheels, and safe reliable tunes and exhaust changes. I honestly think the car is stunning looking and wouldn’t mind getting into it but just want to know what to expect before I make that jump into Audi. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnson there are sooooo many factors to consider when looking. 3 of the primary ones being:
1. Do you want/need awd or does a rwd vehicle meet your needs?
2. Do you want a coupe or sedan body style?
3. Do you want a manual or automatic transmission?

Answering those 3 questions will help narrow down your search somewhat. If you are stuck on the Audi S4 vs BMW 3 series, what i can tell you is the B8 series Audi is generally more reliable than the same generation BMW 3 series. Audi's generally will handle slightly more power addition vs the BMW before having parts fail. Up here in Canada, Audi's have stronger resale values than BMW's do for several reasons. Audi also does a better job of their interior fit/finish and feel to their materials including seats.

So this doesn't feel one sided for the Audi products here are some pros for the BMW side of things: the BMW in rwd chassis is more maneuverable than a comparable Audi. The BMW engines (subjectively) seem to enjoy revving to their redline in stock form more than the Audi supercharged engine does. The BMW isn't as prone to carbon build up from what i've heard (from BMW technicians and Audi technicians). And please Audi fans don't kill me for this next comment....a BMW is distinguishable from every angle whereas an Audi can look somewhat pedestrian in comparison in stock form. In saying this...the exterior color on a car can do a world to enhance body lines and make up for a lack of coupe body style.

Best of luck with your search...no matter what you choose...you've got good taste in vehicles.

Ryan
Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Johnson there are sooooo many factors to consider when looking. 3 of the primary ones being:
1. Do you want/need awd or does a rwd vehicle meet your needs?
2. Do you want a coupe or sedan body style?
3. Do you want a manual or automatic transmission?

Answering those 3 questions will help narrow down your search somewhat. If you are stuck on the Audi S4 vs BMW 3 series, what i can tell you is the B8 series Audi is generally more reliable than the same generation BMW 3 series. Audi's generally will handle slightly more power addition vs the BMW before having parts fail. Up here in Canada, Audi's have stronger resale values than BMW's do for several reasons. Audi also does a better job of their interior fit/finish and feel to their materials including seats.

So this doesn't feel one sided for the Audi products here are some pros for the BMW side of things: the BMW in rwd chassis is more maneuverable than a comparable Audi. The BMW engines (subjectively) seem to enjoy revving to their redline in stock form more than the Audi supercharged engine does. The BMW isn't as prone to carbon build up from what i've heard (from BMW technicians and Audi technicians). And please Audi fans don't kill me for this next comment....a BMW is distinguishable from every angle whereas an Audi can look somewhat pedestrian in comparison in stock form. In saying this...the exterior color on a car can do a world to enhance body lines and make up for a lack of coupe body style.

Best of luck with your search...no matter what you choose...you've got good taste in vehicles.

Ryan
Not really a big fan of AWD being that I do like to kick the backend out on my car now, but I’ve never tried AWD to talk bad about it. I live in Florida so really AWD isn’t needed but I would make an exception. I have a one year old daughter so as much as I do want the coupe, also don’t want the pain of having to get a car seat in there. I’m kind of unsure on if I want a manual or auto yet, bumper to bumper traffic is real where I live and have lots of friends who actually are getting automatics just because of that. Still feel I should try one being I’ve never owned a manual transmission car yet. You are right about differentiating a regular A4 from an S4 that can get annoying maybe if they make the front fascia more aggressive people would realize the difference but thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive in stop and go traffic at minimum 5 days a week and as a manual transmission car enthusiast...i wouldn't have it any other way. The best automated transmission i've driven would be in the Audi RS5....and it just didn't do it for me. I've driven Porsche Turbos, Ferrari 458's, Lamborghini's,etc....and i can't do a slushbox (yes i know this is an old term) in a car. An SUV or truck...and i'm okay with an automatic transmission. There is just a different joy and feel you can't replicate from driving an actual manual transmission car with a clutch pedal and shifter.

If you are putting your daughter in and out of your car daily and multiple times a day...a sedan is the way to go. If it's only occasionally...a coupe will do. I have driven coupes for the past 17 years and my son who is 13 was in the back of all my vehicles and the coupes didn't present a challenge because it wasn't a daily issue. We would drive an SUV or sedan for 50+% of our "car seat" needs on a weekly basis. for the less than 50% of the time, the coupes were just fine for us.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fstr n u
I drive in stop and go traffic at minimum 5 days a week and as a manual transmission car enthusiast...i wouldn't have it any other way. The best automated transmission i've driven would be in the Audi RS5....and it just didn't do it for me. I've driven Porsche Turbos, Ferrari 458's, Lamborghini's,etc....and i can't do a slushbox (yes i know this is an old term) in a car. An SUV or truck...and i'm okay with an automatic transmission. There is just a different joy and feel you can't replicate from driving an actual manual transmission car with a clutch pedal and shifter.

If you are putting your daughter in and out of your car daily and multiple times a day...a sedan is the way to go. If it's only occasionally...a coupe will do. I have driven coupes for the past 17 years and my son who is 13 was in the back of all my vehicles and the coupes didn't present a challenge because it wasn't a daily issue. We would drive an SUV or sedan for 50+% of our "car seat" needs on a weekly basis. for the less than 50% of the time, the coupes were just fine for us.

To be honest, now that I think about it I don’t travel with my daughter everyday...it really is occasionally. And I’m only 20 so when you said “slushbox” believe me I was lost, as this is really the first time I’ve heard that lol
Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all , the S4 is a great car, I'm on my 3rd one because I can't find anything I want or like better in the price range. It has also been very reliable even with higher mileage. Previous car had been an E92 335i which I loved. But the S4 is just better in so many ways I would never trade it for a 335/435. .My current car has 78K and today, I am having my first real repairs and 2 of them are preventative. Thermostats are prone to fail and while it is in the shop for that, I am having the water pump and PCV valve replaced. All those items would have been covered under a CPO. If you decide to get one, make sure the car has a sport differential, That feature allows the care to behave more like a RWD car, but not sure you will be hanging the tail out much.These cars handle like they are "on rails". You mentioned that you were interested in an M3 but they were too expensive, you can tune an S4 and get near or better performance that an M3.. However. computers at the Audi dealers are programmed to seek out tunes and if they find one your warranty is voided and car designated TD1. That can be circumvented by either having the car flashed back to stock before a service appt, not going back to the dealer for service, or by purchasing a piggyback tune, similar to Turbo Tuner or Juice Box used on BMWs N54 engine, and removing it prior to service appt. If you decide you only really need 2 doors, The S5 is basically the same as the s4 without the extra doors. But make sure you get one that is 2013 or newer. 2010-2012 S5s had a gass guzzzling 4.2 V8 that almost no one loves and IMHO. not nearlt as good of an engine as the 3.o sc
Old 11-13-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DrGP
First of all , the S4 is a great car, I'm on my 3rd one because I can't find anything I want or like better in the price range. It has also been very reliable even with higher mileage. Previous car had been an E92 335i which I loved. But the S4 is just better in so many ways I would never trade it for a 335/435. .My current car has 78K and today, I am having my first real repairs and 2 of them are preventative. Thermostats are prone to fail and while it is in the shop for that, I am having the water pump and PCV valve replaced. All those items would have been covered under a CPO. If you decide to get one, make sure the car has a sport differential, That feature allows the care to behave more like a RWD car, but not sure you will be hanging the tail out much.These cars handle like they are "on rails". You mentioned that you were interested in an M3 but they were too expensive, you can tune an S4 and get near or better performance that an M3.. However. computers at the Audi dealers are programmed to seek out tunes and if they find one your warranty is voided and car designated TD1. That can be circumvented by either having the car flashed back to stock before a service appt, not going back to the dealer for service, or by purchasing a piggyback tune, similar to Turbo Tuner or Juice Box used on BMWs N54 engine, and removing it prior to service appt. If you decide you only really need 2 doors, The S5 is basically the same as the s4 without the extra doors. But make sure you get one that is 2013 or newer. 2010-2012 S5s had a gass guzzzling 4.2 V8 that almost no one loves and IMHO. not nearlt as good of an engine as the 3.o sc

I do plan on Tuning if I get it, I'm glad you mentioned the piggy back ones that be removed beforehand. I'm planning on going to test drive one this weekend to see if it's a car I'll be able to keep for years to come. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you drive a car with a sport dif and drive it with the setting to Dynamic. It makes a huge difference in how the car drives and performs and feels., especially in the throttle response and cornering. You can get a Chipwerke piggyback tune for around $400. Some have combined it with either a larger crank /or smaller SC pulley for even more performance.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johnson Dore
... I currently have a 2013 BMW 335i F30 and it is damn fun, lots of torque down low....
Beyond what's been said, I think you might enjoy an S4.
The supercharged 3L V6 has very quick throttle response and acceleration. I'm also coming from a 6-speed A4 too to the dual clutch S-tronic in the S4 and I really like the quick shifts for an automatic.
The only basis of comparison that I have with a 335i for you is that a few weeks ago, this other 335i met me at a light, we hit the gas and I walked away from him from the very beginning.

I have looked at some engine upgrades (mainly APR) and I heard that engines seem to be a little artificially limited from the factory, so any decent upgrade (not sure about piggyback units) can unleash some good performance. If you do decide to mod, I don't know about BMW, but Audi *may* detect that you have performance mods and may void your warranty. Google "Audi TD1" for more info about it. The rules Audi uses to detect mods seem to be unknown too, and some aggressive mods may not be flagged so YMMV.

I suspect that the car has a set of engine norms, and if the engine exceeds the norms, then it's out of warranty, hence the flag. I remember reading that if I revved my A4 past like 6k RPM's in early mileage that it would be flagged and my warranty would be voided. Since it sounds like you are going for comfort mods, then I think you'd be safe.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by LighthouseJ
Beyond what's been said, I think you might enjoy an S4.
The supercharged 3L V6 has very quick throttle response and acceleration. I'm also coming from a 6-speed A4 too to the dual clutch S-tronic in the S4 and I really like the quick shifts for an automatic.
The only basis of comparison that I have with a 335i for you is that a few weeks ago, this other 335i met me at a light, we hit the gas and I walked away from him from the very beginning.

I have looked at some engine upgrades (mainly APR) and I heard that engines seem to be a little artificially limited from the factory, so any decent upgrade (not sure about piggyback units) can unleash some good performance. If you do decide to mod, I don't know about BMW, but Audi *may* detect that you have performance mods and may void your warranty. Google "Audi TD1" for more info about it. The rules Audi uses to detect mods seem to be unknown too, and some aggressive mods may not be flagged so YMMV.

I suspect that the car has a set of engine norms, and if the engine exceeds the norms, then it's out of warranty, hence the flag. I remember reading that if I revved my A4 past like 6k RPM's in early mileage that it would be flagged and my warranty would be voided. Since it sounds like you are going for comfort mods, then I think you'd be safe.
Want to stick to more of the plug and play mods being I can remove them before going to service. But I am working on savings for a "just in case the car breaks down" fund so if anything if it does get voided I have a backup.

Quick Reply: BMW Owner Contemplating An 2014 Audi S4. *Feedback needed*