S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth connectivity problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth connectivity problems

Hi, I have an S4 without Nav, and recently upgraded from an LG Dare to a Samsung Rogue.

Bluetooth on the Dare worked great, except did not correctly import the "missed" and "recently dialed" menus, but since the phone book was all there I was happy.

With the Rogue, I get periodic disconnections with bluetooth. It imports all phone books (even missed & recently dialed calls), but randomly disconnects from the Audi. I can manually force it to reconnect, and anywhere from 2 to 45 minutes later it will disconnect again.

I already returned my first Rogue, and the second one behaves the same way.

Anyone having similar problems? Any suggestions to make these work? Otherwise I'll be returning the Rogue for a different phone...

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Iphone does the same thing and requires soft reboot to connect. It is the phone software, not much you can do unless manufacturer improves the software.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badgerbimmer
Iphone does the same thing and requires soft reboot to connect. It is the phone software, not much you can do unless manufacturer improves the software.
My iPhone has unpaired 2-3 times in the first 3 weeks with the car. The last time it happened, I noticed that in bluetooth settings on the iPhone, my previous car's profile was still there -- so I deleted it. FWIW, the previous car's setting was named "MY CAR" and the S4's was "AUDI MMI ****" (not sure if the naming had anything to do with the issue -- guessing not). Wondering if the phone was defaulting to connecting to the previous car, and thus not connecting to the MMI (would be strange as this wasn't happening consistently). Since deleting the previous car's profile, no problems yet -- only been a week though.

Also, not 100% certain of this, but I don't think I needed a reboot to get it to pair again. Just went into the bluetooth settings and selected the Audi to connect.

I'll report back if it happens again, and if so, will also reach out to Apple. Suggest others do too (Apple is very good at fixes, but you've got to let them know). Are other iPhone users out there experiencing this?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by badgerbimmer
Have not had a single issue with my iPhone unpairing with the car. Has been totally fine.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Have not had a single issue with my iPhone unpairing with the car. Has been totally fine.
Thanks WatchNut. Curious what model you have (3GS?) and if it's running the latest ver of iPhone OS.

Really wondering if deleting the previous car settings has fixed this. We'll see.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I have the 3GS model. Purchased in January. No sure of OS version.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a Verizon HTC Imagio phone and it initially connects just fine but regularly disconnects about a minute or two after starting the car. This happens about 75% of the time. The other times it stays connected for the entire trip. When it disconnects I have to go in through the MMI and make it connect again. Once this second connection is made, it typically is OK for the duration of the trip.

I'll mention it during my 5000 mile service but don't hold out much hope for a fix. Audi will blame the phone and Verizon will blame Audi.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had mine in yesterday for the 5K service...and just as anticipated, the service tech blamed "these high-tech phones that become too advanced for the Audi MMI". He confirmed no BT software update was available for the Audi and suggested I pursue a fix through Verizon.

Ultimately I returned the 2nd Rogue, got my Dare reactivated, and am probably getting the LG Ally, an Android phone. My better half uses a Droid and it works just fine (ironically, one of the most advanced phones...)

Thanks y'all....
Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FYI - I don't have my S4 yet, but I've had 09-10 A4 loaners and had the same problem. I fixed this in the Bluetooth menu on my phone by making the <Audi> device security setting "Trusted". This is on a Blackberry. So it still disconnects, but it immediately re-connects. I'm not sure about other phones though.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a 3GS and I've had mine not connect a few times as well. I think that some of those time it was plugged into the ipod cable in the glove box already when the car was turned on. I don't know if that has something to do with it. I didn't rebook, but I searched for the phone in the MMI and just clicked on it and it connected with no problems. I haven't started the car with it already plugged into the ipod cable in a while so I'll have to try that and see what happens with the bluetooth.