S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Best looking, low maintenance color on S4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so youre saying you went black and did go back?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tails
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my cars clean - so cast my vote for Ibis White. =)

Back in 04, I owned an Artic White STi -- LOVED IT!. But had to sell it when relocating for work. Two years ago, I was able to move back home and went looking for a new STi - could only find one in Black.

I knew the black would have swirl marks, but I told myself I could keep it clean. The car was always garaged, at home and at work. Every few weeks I'd dedicate a day to give it a wash and keep the detailing up to date -- but sadly the swirl marks won the battle.

Every time I'd walk towards my car in the parking lot, the swirls would jump out at me - no matter how clean the car was. It bothered me so much I had to sell it pretty much on that basis alone...

If you want your car to be a daily driver, and want it super clean looking with little effort, don't go black!
This was my situation too. I had a BB 2004 A4 Cab, and after a couple of years with it, SWORE that I would never get black again. The swirl marks were a killer. Since then I had a few different color cars and when I bought my 135i Cab I went to the dealer and saw a Jet Black over Coral Red one and fell in love. Now I'm dealing with the black all over again and I SWEAR I will never.....well anyway.

Someone had a good point previous, if you are OCD about your car then don't go black. There's no question about it. It's not just a matter of cleaning it more often, it's a matter of HOW you clean it....no automatic car washes, have to be very careful when handwashing it to not introduce scratches and swirls to the paint. Oh by the way, don't ever park near sprinklers because you will get hard water spots that will have to be buffed out. Lighter colors don't have any of the above issues.

So if you're willing to spend an hour or more per week washing it yourself with the two bucket method, polishing and sealing it at least twice a year, then I say go for it! Or if you are not OCD and only want it to look good from 5 feet away, go for it. Otherwise, look at a lighter color and go easy on yourself
Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan
Or if you are not OCD and only want it to look good from 5 feet away, go for it. Otherwise, look at a lighter color and go easy on yourself
i think the OCD thing is very important. I'm not and don't go actively looking for swirl marks, which you simply do NOT see unless you are up close and looking. I am more concerned about the overall appearance from a normal viewing distance. Normal being the operative word here.

Actually, to be completely honest, I'm 1000 percent more concerned with the interior and that was much more important to me in making any decision than the paint. I'll be seeing the interior all the time for hours and hours, the exterior only when I'm leaving/coming.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
i think the OCD thing is very important. I'm not and don't go actively looking for swirl marks, which you simply do NOT see unless you are up close and looking. I am more concerned about the overall appearance from a normal viewing distance. Normal being the operative word here.
This is true and to be honest, 99% of the population would look at a relatively clean black car and say that it looks very sharp, and 1% (me) would look at it and not be able to get by the buffer trails and holograms in direct sunlight. Ahh, OCD sucks lol.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denVerSlube
Ask yourself - if black is so gorgeous, then why do most of the Audi ads and pamphlets show silver?
Because the lines of the car don't photograph that well on dark colors. Black looks fantastic in person, but the details blur together when photographed. Silver allows for subtle shading that highlights a car's lines.

As for swirls, I am careful about how I wash my car (only 2-bucket method, never been through a car wash), and I have the equipment and know-how to polish my car. So you don't see much in the way of swirls on my car.

I realize not everybody wants to put that much work into maintaining their car, but to me it is worth it.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tails
If you want your car to be a daily driver, and want it super clean looking with little effort, don't go black!
Will Phantom Black make any difference?

BTW, how do you guys keep your black cars clean during winter if you live in the snow belt?

Last edited by tubi; 11-03-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tubi

BTW, how do you guys keep your black cars clean during winter if you live in the snow belt?
Not sure if Phantom Black will help, but I doubt it. I plan to keep my car in the garage if it's snowing outside and take the Highlander instead.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For one, I live with longer wash intervals. It's the winter, and most folks have dirty cars.

I happen to be truly dedicated, and I hand wash my car in the winter. I wait for a nice sunny day, fill my buckets with warm water, and hook up a hose that has been stored inside to maintain flexibility. It really isn't that bad. My climate allows for this, since it is not too terribly cold here, but obviously this requires temps above freezing, or the water will freeze on the car. Like I said, I am dedicated.

Also, while there are none around here, many folks have true touchless car washes near them for the occasional cleaning. They're not the best for frequent washings due to the use of strong cleaning agents, but are okay for occasional washings in the winter.

Others don't mind taking their cars through a standard car wash, although I would never do so.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wash it. Road salt makes EVERY car look like garbage. Even if you bought a color called "road salt" it would still suck when it inevitably gets road salt on it. Just the way it is.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love my Brilliant Black B6 A4. Six and a half years old now, and it has swirls for sure. It also had a rear bumper re-paint when someone bumped me in a parking lot - easy colour match.

I say get your first choice colour. Then, no matter how often you wash it, on that day you do, you will be starring at a clean car in the exact colour you really wanted.

We are lucky, or unlucky because I'm sure it is environmentally driven, to have a large number of touch-less car washes in Ottawa, Ontario. I wash my car once a month in the winter at one of these. At the start, and end of the winter I'll wash my car by hand any day over -5C (~22F).

But sometimes it snows so frequently here, washing is pointless, as it will be covered in salt again within 5 minutes of driving.

I'll probably go Deep Sea or Sprint Blue if I go the S4 route. Not because black was too much work, but just for a change.

Quick Reply: Best looking, low maintenance color on S4?