S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Clear Bra
I had it installed and am very happy with it
59.09%
I had it installed but am very UNhappy with it
0%
No clear bra for me!
40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Paint protection questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection questions

Hi all, if all goes well i will be picking up my car in a few weeks. I am looking at getting it tinted and install a clear bra (computer cut venture shield) as well.

I do have a few questions:

1. Is it OK to put on a clear bra on a brand new car? I heard the paint takes some time to cure?
2. I usually use Zaino on my car, should i Zaino it before taking it to the shop? or wax is no good for the adhesive?
3. Anything i should do to prep for the clear bra before i bring it in?
4. Any other issues or concerns i should have?

thanks in advance!

Nick
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I skipped it all together after hearing that it seems to yellow over time. This is a big problem for a white car but probably not so much for your black car.

Maybe someone else with a black car can comment on whether they see any noticeable yellowing.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I discussed this with my local detailer, and they said there was no need to wait to put on a clear bra. I had Ventureshield installed about a week and a half after the car was delivered. It looks amazingly good now (car is 4 months old), we'll see how it wears over time.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlecW
I discussed this with my local detailer, and they said there was no need to wait to put on a clear bra. I had Ventureshield installed about a week and a half after the car was delivered. It looks amazingly good now (car is 4 months old), we'll see how it wears over time.
Did you or they wax before applying the film?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I didn't do anything. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what they did to prep it. Feel free to ask them yourself:

www.northwestautosalon.com

-Alec
Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuking
Did you or they wax before applying the film?
No wax before, the PPF was installed, just washed it well. I did the whole front end, so there is no visible line (white car) & used VentureShield.

I use Zymol wax on the car & the PPF. One should be careful what they apply to the PPF. Also, when waxing, be careful with edges, don't want to get wax under the edge of the PPF.

It does not seem to look any different 6 months later.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have been in touch with Blake at Northwest Auto Salon. If I am not mistaken, they would like to do a full exterior detail on a new vehicle before they apply a clear bra. However, if you did not pay for this service then they would have washed it thoroughly and then applied the clear bra. When I pick my car up I will have them exterior detail and then install the clear bra so the finish under the bra looks better.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

It would probably be beneficial to clay bar the car before the PPF install.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ratiphi
I have been in touch with Blake at Northwest Auto Salon. If I am not mistaken, they would like to do a full exterior detail on a new vehicle before they apply a clear bra. However, if you did not pay for this service then they would have washed it thoroughly and then applied the clear bra. When I pick my car up I will have them exterior detail and then install the clear bra so the finish under the bra looks better.
Did the same from the same place and same guy. Car is baked in Germany and paint is already cured (not to mention 2+ weeks transit to get to the US anyway). Get a good shop to do a good cleaning before application, and don't use the dealer, they never do it - they sub it out and take a cut. Save money and go to the source.

Ventureshield will not yellow, and is highly durable, you can wax it wash it, whatever and it won't harm it - I wouldn't put any chemicals on it or polish it though, but soap, water, wax is all fine.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info, i will probably get it detailed before installation then. Venture shield it is.

thanks again

Quick Reply: Paint protection questions