S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B & O Campaign?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B & O Campaign?

I'm about to take my car in for the 25,000 mile service and was told they also would be doing a software update to the B & O system (non-NAV car). Apparently it will take an hour to do the update. Does anyone know what this update is about? My B & O has been working fine. TIA
Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

It would be nice if it addressed the crappy HD radio reception. PLease let us know since I'll be dealer bound next month for state inspection and seasonal tire change.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well

I just had my B&O system not make nay sound the other other day. I turned on the car, it looked like it was playing music on the MMI but no sound. Screwed around with it, turned it off an on, would not work. Looked online and found a three finger MMI reset, still would not play a sound. Online, it said that there was a bug in the amp and that a software patch in the amp would fix the problem. Next day after sitting overnight, everything worked fine again.

So I believe the software update is to fix a bug where the amp stops working on occasion.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goony
It would be nice if it addressed the crappy HD radio reception. PLease let us know since I'll be dealer bound next month for state inspection and seasonal tire change.

Sorry Bud, that is not the radio. That is HD. I have installed almost a dozen HD set ups. It is a technology that should be scrapped. If you want to talk via pm I will give the techy version of why. The short answer is that while both analog and digital transmissions co-exist it will never work or sound right. It is the victim of not enough power and a process known as "Blending". I am a radio freq engineer among many other titles And most honest radio engineers will tell you exactly the same thing. You are better off streaming audio to your car via broad band.

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-13-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

My HD radios have always worked well.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hard Driver
I just had my B&O system not make nay sound the other other day. I turned on the car, it looked like it was playing music on the MMI but no sound. Screwed around with it, turned it off an on, would not work. Looked online and found a three finger MMI reset, still would not play a sound. Online, it said that there was a bug in the amp and that a software patch in the amp would fix the problem. Next day after sitting overnight, everything worked fine again.

So I believe the software update is to fix a bug where the amp stops working on occasion.
I had a similar problem yesterday but instead of no sound it was a painfully loud bass distortion noise. It really made me jump as I started the car! I happened to be a couple of miles from an Audi dealer and they took a quick look. They had not seen/heard it before but it was funny to see the service advisor visibly jump when he tried it himself. The car was turned off for maybe 5 minutes while I was talking to the him about possibly disconnecting the car battery to reset the system but when we tried it again the problem had gone away all by itself.

I had previously tried the "3 finger salute" otherwise known as the MMI reset, but it didn't make any different.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had my radio volume stay on one time randomly... I tried to turn it down and nothing, up also nothing. I turned it all the way to mute and it showed the symbol on the screen nut still didn't change volume. I had to turn the car off at the drive thru, but when I restarted the engine it worked again. Was just the other day and has been working normal since then.