S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Do you run your car through an automatic car wash?
Yes - light color paint (white, silver, grey)
21.17%
Yes - dark color paint (black, blue, red)
23.36%
No - light color paint (white, silver, grey)
27.01%
No - dark color paint (black, blue, red)
28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic Car Wash Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It totally depends on the car wash. I have brought my Audi's and cars through the same brand of car washes for years upon years with no issues. The car wash does the washing then I go home to my garage and quick detail out the wheels, tires, grill, etc. Then apply a protectant, clean the interior and am good to go. Twice a year entering winter and entering summer I get a professional detail and that has saved me SOOOOOOOOO much time.

Life is SHORT - I cannot believe how stupid I was for years washing my own car and investing all that time in a "thing". It is a total waste of time. I doubt on my deathbead I will be saying "I wish my car was more perfect and I took more time washing it myself." It is a car for gods sake and definately (no matter what others want to believe) not an exotic vehicle. I like my things to be VERY well taken care of and look great and I achieve that using the car wash to save hours and hours of time.

Everyone always asks how I keep my car so clean and perfect - the secret is being smart about where you spend your time and efforts.

There was an in depth scientific study done on acutal vehicles and paints between Hand and professional car washes and the professional car wash won for quality of the paint over time. I am not talking your behind the gas station car wash.

I laugh every time someone says they hand wash. Then I drive away in a clean car for a fun drive and day trip while laughing at them as they just start rinsing their car for their hand wash.

Find a good one and enjoy!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hand wash in the summer, touch-free in the winter, detail twice a year. I bought it to drive it, not to be a museum piece. That said, I'm pretty meticulous in the summer and am looking for a better winter strategy. Perhaps a quick wipe down with detail spray after the touch free would give me better results? That would be tolerable most days.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I had my black A4 I obsessed about using the right products and always having it perfect. Hand washing only. Looking back on it now it was a complete waste of time like others have pointed out.

My cars look just as clean going to an automated touchfree carwash now.

I do appreciate sometimes doing a handwash as sort of a zen-like excercise though. Do whatever you enjoy. The only person that is going to notice the difference is you anyway.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anybody tried this waterless car wash product, it seems to get positive reviews.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hand washing and cleaning is the only peace I get. Lol. Like the previous post said it is Zen liki forgot all going on in the world. e
Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nhs4
Hand wash in the summer, touch-free in the winter, detail twice a year. I bought it to drive it, not to be a museum piece. That said, I'm pretty meticulous in the summer and am looking for a better winter strategy. Perhaps a quick wipe down with detail spray after the touch free would give me better results? That would be tolerable most days.
Same here. There's a touchless on every street corner in Anchorage. I use them during the winter.

To anyone who thinks handwashing is a "myth"...it depends on who and how you're doing it. No way would I let some "detail" shop wash my car. Improper handwashing is just as bad, if not worse then using an auto-wash.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im sorry.

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Hand washing and cleaning is the only peace I get. Lol. Like the previous post said it is Zen liki forgot all going on in the world. e
Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The biggest problem with car washes is the rags they use to dry the car, they'er generally fithy and loaded with abrasive crap. I've taken to buying a bag of cheap microfiber cloths (10 for $5 at the local hardware store) and tossing them to the guys to use. Kind of **** but cheap enough.

The guys looked at me like I was from outer space the first couple times but now they're used to it. Now when I go there half the guys are using the rags I gave them weeks before but they're not exactly clean anymore!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Wisconsin Winters & your S4 is your daily driver = Car Wash. Never had a problem. Last Pic with winter wheels.
Attached Images      
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sepangS4
It totally depends on the car wash. I have brought my Audi's and cars through the same brand of car washes for years upon years with no issues. The car wash does the washing then I go home to my garage and quick detail out the wheels, tires, grill, etc. Then apply a protectant, clean the interior and am good to go. Twice a year entering winter and entering summer I get a professional detail and that has saved me SOOOOOOOOO much time.

Life is SHORT - I cannot believe how stupid I was for years washing my own car and investing all that time in a "thing". It is a total waste of time. I doubt on my deathbead I will be saying "I wish my car was more perfect and I took more time washing it myself." It is a car for gods sake and definately (no matter what others want to believe) not an exotic vehicle. I like my things to be VERY well taken care of and look great and I achieve that using the car wash to save hours and hours of time.

Everyone always asks how I keep my car so clean and perfect - the secret is being smart about where you spend your time and efforts.

There was an in depth scientific study done on acutal vehicles and paints between Hand and professional car washes and the professional car wash won for quality of the paint over time. I am not talking your behind the gas station car wash.

I laugh every time someone says they hand wash. Then I drive away in a clean car for a fun drive and day trip while laughing at them as they just start rinsing their car for their hand wash.

Find a good one and enjoy!
It all depends on how you like to spend your free time. I work in Finance and spend my working days in an office building. I enjoy working with my hands and washing/detailing my car. For me, getting outside or in my garage, to work on my car is my favorite way of unwinding after a long week behind a desk.

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Wash Poll