S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audicare Invoice Price

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
When an Audi Care question comes up, I usually offer my article from 2012:

For those considering Audi Care at purchase or later, below is my subjective analysis and some things to know.
(Disclosure: I purchased it on my '09 A4 and will be purchasing it for my '13 A6 at 15K miles).

My Audi Care Cost Analysis (U.S.)

The 3 options for scheduled service maintenance:

- Audi Care can be about 30-35% less expensive than the dealer will charge for each the 4 services that are covered. (As of this writing, the 2012/2013 A6/A7 Audi Care price is $820).

- An Independent shop will be roughly the same cost as Audi Care depending on location.

- Do It Yourself service will be the least expensive option than edither of the above.

Advantages:

- If you are not a DIYer and want the convenience of having warranty covered items done at the same time and place as the scheduled service, Audi Care can be a good value and convenient.

- It eliminates any potential finger pointing between an Indy and the dealer should something go wrong.

- Locks in service costs against labor/parts increases in the future

- All of your service records will be in the Audi database.

Disadvantages:

- You pay up front (or by 15K miles)

- If you dispose of the car, while AC is transferable to a new private owner (but not to a different new vehicle), there is no refund for an unused portion (except California where a portion may be refunded). It likely won't add to the resale value later, however, it does offer a benefit to a potential purchaser. A dealer will not usually recognize the value on a trade.

Notes:

- Audi Care is NOT a warranty but covers the 15K, 25K, 35K and 45K mile scheduled service maintenance (or every 12 months whichever comes first) as outlined in your service booklet. It does not cover items not included in the regular maintenance schedule, i.e. alignments, wheel balancing, wiper blades, tires, etc.

- AC must be used within 5 years from vehicle purchase date or any remaining benefit is cancelled.

- There is also an Audi Care "Plus" available afterward for 55K, 65K and 75K mi services but it is expensive. Audi claims a 17% average savings over paying for individual services.

- The 5000 mi service is covered at n/c under the manf. warranty.

- Audi Care can (only) be purchased from any dealer (and used) within the originating country at any time although it should be purchased by the 15K mi service to receive full benefit.

- If not purchased at time of delivery, it historically has gone up about $50 each year.

- If leasing, purchasing Audi Care at time of lease usually increases the residual about 1% reducing the monthly payment. This results in AC being effectively less expensive to purchase.

- Dealer cost on Audi Care is not much less than retail price (about 90% of retail) so dealers will usually resist a discount. While some will report that it "was thrown in" or discounted at time of the car purchase, the cost to the dealer is the still there and is effectively a discount on the car itself. In other words, you could probably have negotiated almost the equivalent discount off the price of the car without AC being purchased. (exception: The A8/S8 have recently included AC subsidized by Audi).

- Despite a very modest profit, dealers like to sell Audi Care as it keeps you periodically coming back to their store (although Audi Care is valid at any Audi dealership).

- If leasing, Audi Financial will often increase the residual (resulting in a lower monthly payment) if Audi Care is purchased at delivery. This can mitigate most of the cost.

- Canada Audi Care - similar to the U.S. version with minor differences, i.e. service intervals are 25K km, 40K km, 55K km and 70K km; AC must be purchased within 12 months or 20K km of vehicle purchase date.
Thank you SnagitSeven. Very helpful.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously, if you won't use it for all four services to 45K, the value proposition is not there. As for "throwing it in", nothing is free, including Audi Care. The dealer pays something like 90% of the cost. If they include it in the deal, theoretically it's a further discount equal to their cost that could have been negotiated on the car if not "thrown in".
Not true if AoA throws it in your deal for free
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by helix139
Not true if AoA throws it in your deal for free
Unless there was a rare, one-off customer satisfaction consideration for some reason, the only model I'm aware of where AOA includes it for free (whereby Audi, not the dealer, absorbs the cost) is with a 2013/14 A8/S8 purchase.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless there was a rare, one-off customer satisfaction consideration for some reason, the only model I'm aware of where AOA includes it for free (whereby Audi, not the dealer, absorbs the cost) is with a 2013/14 A8/S8 purchase.
It was the first reason. Transport company sat on it for over a week and a half at the port and caused me to miss out on a pretty decent financing promo so I complained and my sales guy escalated it to the regional AoA rep. They picked up unsold vehicles destined to sit on the lot instead and it didn't make the dealership too happy either.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
It was the first reason. Transport company sat on it for over a week and a half at the port and caused me to miss out on a pretty decent financing promo so I complained and my sales guy escalated it to the regional AoA rep. They picked up unsold vehicles destined to sit on the lot instead and it didn't make the dealership too happy either.
Dealer should have marked car sold and locked on the incentives.

No offense but the only dealer interested in selling Audi care at invoice MIGHT be the servicing dealer. Seriously the dealer makes 70-80 bucks in profit in the product. However the dealer doing service gets about that per visit and the opportunity to earn future business.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by m3seeto

2) DSG gear oil change at 35k miles
From what i have read, the oil must/can be done by Audi and the price is around $700-$800.
FWIW, I just had my DSG service done at the local Audi dealer for $300. This dealer also only charges $69 for oil changes which, from what I've read, is cheaper than the usual.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ewingsvt
Dealer should have marked car sold and locked on the incentives.
Reading helix139's post, the car was already allocated as sold to him but wasn't yet under the dealer's control - the freight company or the port handler caused the delay. In any case, a dealer can't "lock in incentives" until the transaction is completed. Per Audi, any rebates, finance or other programs are only valid and applicable based on the date of customer delivery. Apparently, since they couldn't extend it, AOA provided a customer satisfaction offer to him in lieu of the missed program date.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reading helix139's post, the car was already allocated as sold to him but wasn't yet under the dealer's control - the freight company or the port handler caused the delay. In any case, a dealer can't "lock in incentives" until the transaction is completed. Per Audi, any rebates, finance or other programs are only valid and applicable based on the date of customer delivery. Apparently, since they couldn't extend it, AOA provided a customer satisfaction offer to him in lieu of the missed program date.
Car can be moved forward in the system and reported sold early, trust me. In any case glad he was compensated for the wait.