S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi S4 vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
dunno...thread just got sidetracked nicely by NWS4guy's baiting

my point was that volkl and nws4guy are way off on their assessment of the ability of a B6/7 S4 to run with a B8 S4.

Thus they should either not question my comments as to the relative performance vs. a B8 S4...or they should read up to get up to speed.
How far off am I when I've OWNED both? Hmmmm... Yes, my B6 was modified as you've mentioned.

Racing from a roll obviously won't be the same as from a standstill... I still bet by 60 the older car will be falling behind fast. Don't get your panties in a bunch, no need to quote all sorts of track times. It's really not that big of a deal.

I'm sure your car is within a car length...when from a roll... at some speed.... which... uh, yeah...

Last edited by DrVolkl; 07-21-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

no hate. If you read in our V8 forums (i.e. on euroaddiction.net) I stick up for the B8 S4 all the time (although I do make fun of your exhaust note ). I like the way it looks. I just like my car better. Again...I owned a B8 before ANY of you. N'oublie pas! I was just explaining that there's no jealousy here. That's a bit of a pompous assumption, and hopefully it was in jest. I mean B5 guys certainly weren't jealous of the B6. B6 weren't jealous of the B7. If we all really liked the newer cars better, we'd just buy one. I had a B6 Avant, and loved the B7, so I bought one. When the B8 avant came out, I liked it too, so I bought one. As for a B8 S4 sedan vs. mine, I think your car is awesome...retarded fast...nice and modern looking, but I certainly won't be trading mine for one. It's a choice...just as you all aren't rushing to trade for a tuned 335is even though it is a good bit faster.

What does exhaust and tune add to my B7? I have no idea. Probably not much...I have stock downpipes with gutted pre-cats but main cats intact...and a catback + a tune which really doesn't add much power peak wise, but it makes more available along the curve and changes the driving dynamics. Realistically I'd say the car makes 350-360 crank hp but about 320 torque. Cars with my mods usually run low 13s in the quarter mile. One friend ran 12.9 with these mods + LW rotors.
See if you said that they both look great just that you prefer the B7 in your opinion no one will say you are a hater as I am sure others have had the same feeling as you say when they had a B5 and the B6 came out. But what you said was that the B7 was much nicer on your eyes which gives the impression that you are saying the B8 is not nice or easy on your eyes. It just like if I said that the model is much nicer on my eyes than your wife. That is very different than saying your wife is hot but that model is scorching. Same if some one said that about my wife. The first remark will get a fist in the face while the second would get a high five from me. I know you are not a bad guy Sak it is just the way you say things that get some of the members worked up. Come on we all are Audi guys. Some may love the cars too much and border on Fanboy but most are just excited about their cars just like you are about your B7.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
How far off am I when I've OWNED both? Hmmmm... Yes, my B6 was modified as you've mentioned.

Racing from a roll obviously won't be the same as from a standstill... I still bet by 60 the older car will be falling behind fast. Don't get your panties in a bunch, no need to quote all sorts of track times. It's really not that big of a deal.

I'm sure your car is within a car length...when from a roll... at some speed.... which... uh, yeah...
Honestly I don't care about your B6, since I never heard from you once while you owned it, and I already know that IF it was modded, it certainly wasn't modded properly. Let me guess...you had an APR or AWE 2.25" exhaust and chip? And awful pre-cat downpipes? Or GIAC? Thought so. Lol. Just like you jumped into mods early on for your B8, you probably did the same for the B6. Half the exhaust and chip mods back then added ZERO performance and had guys running the same or slower than stock. EPIC FAIL VOLKL.

Not sure wtf you're getting at anyway...you're clearly out of touch with B6/7 S4 performance. You keep quoting this great 12.9 run by R&T launching at 4000rpm. Great. They had a great driver at the wheel. Cabracco85 ran 12.89 with piggies tune and exhaust on his B6. Stock everything else. He cut a 1.7 60 foot. So...now what? As I said, you left the V8 scene before mods that worked were produced.

Last edited by sakimano; 07-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by riegerman
See if you said that they both look great just that you prefer the B7 in your opinion no one will say you are a hater as I am sure others have had the same feeling as you say when they had a B5 and the B6 came out. But what you said was that the B7 was much nicer on your eyes which gives the impression that you are saying the B8 is not nice or easy on your eyes. It just like if I said that the model is much nicer on my eyes than your wife. That is very different than saying your wife is hot but that model is scorching. Same if some one said that about my wife. The first remark will get a fist in the face while the second would get a high five from me. I know you are not a bad guy Sak it is just the way you say things that get some of the members worked up. Come on we all are Audi guys. Some may love the cars too much and border on Fanboy but most are just excited about their cars just like you are about your B7.
funny. I know what you mean, but go back in the thread...the guy said I was jealous about the B8 S4 because my B7 RS4 wasn't as fast. I was just saying no, I prefer my car for these reasons.

He wins the punch in the face award...very cocklike post. Volkl is a close second. Makes no sense why he's so clueless about the V8 performance. He's saying in a race from a dig, the B8 would be way faster? That makes no sense if from a dig, all the way to 1/4 mile they're virtually identical (B8 stock vs. B6/7 with exhaust and good tune).
Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sak,
Do yourself and us a favor and stick to your new personal playgruond over at the boards you mod, where you can have whatever rep you want. You are not adding anything here but negativity to what is usually an otherwise pretty nice forum.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

funny. I know what you mean, but go back in the thread...the guy said I was jealous about the B8 S4 because my B7 RS4 wasn't as fast. I was just saying no, I prefer my car for these reasons.

He wins the punch in the face award...very cocklike post. Volkl is a close second. Makes no sense why he's so clueless about the V8 performance. He's saying in a race from a dig, the B8 would be way faster? That makes no sense if from a dig, all the way to 1/4 mile they're virtually identical (B8 stock vs. B6/7 with exhaust and good tune).
As much as I like the V8 sound you have to agree though that the Audi V8 doesn't provide the punch or power that the V6T does the M3 V8. IMO the Audi V8 needs to step it up to compete with their own V6T and the BMW V8. I think this has been said many times is you can't compare your modded/tuned V8 to a Stock car. If the the stock V6T motor is tuned than it will again be no competition. If you pay the money to supercharge the V8 than it may beat a tuned V6T. Then the V6T owner can spend the same money on an upgraded supercharger/pulley and then again no competition.
The other guy was probably responding to your post earlier that you were hinting that us B8 owners are a bunch of biased fanboys.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, the sour grapes happening on this board is epic.

Sakimano, you're really sad. I feel for you, it's gotta be exhausting convincing yourself everyday your B7 is the better choice! LOL!!!

It's easier to just admit the truth, try it sometime. Here, I'll help you: I have a B8 S4 on order, but I openly admit I would rather have a Cayman S. However, I need 4 doors and a backseat, so I can't. Go ahead, try it
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeanS4
Wow, the sour grapes happening on this board is epic.

Sakimano, you're really sad. I feel for you, it's gotta be exhausting convincing yourself everyday your B7 is the better choice! LOL!!!

It's easier to just admit the truth, try it sometime. Here, I'll help you: I have a B8 S4 on order, but I openly admit I would rather have a Cayman S. However, I need 4 doors and a backseat, so I can't. Go ahead, try it
funny...you can't handle that people prefer their own car over the B8.

For whatever reason, you guys don't seem to get it. I like the B8 S4. I just like my car better. If I liked the B8 S4 better, I'd sell mine and just buy one. I mean we're talking about a $55,000 car here, not some unobtainable crown jewel! It's a frigging entry level luxury sport sedan. When my B7 is a little older, and I sell it, I'll buy something else. It might be a B8 (or whatever is out there). It might not. I'm very secure and happy in my choice, which was made before the B8 was even announced.

I live in a nice house in a nice neighbourhood. On my street, there are a couple of slightly bigger houses, and a couple not as big as mine. Does that mean I should be unhappy with my house and tell the guy with the bigger house that I want to buy it? or that the guys with the houses slightly smaller than mine should be unhappy? That's the analogy you're giving...you're saying I should be unhappy with my car because its not the newest, latest greatest. Big ****ing deal. If you live your life that way, you'll never be happy. I mean...it's a ****ing Audi S4 we're talking about here. You get that right? I mean I know some of you think it's the fastest car on earth, but dudes...it's just an Audi S4 we all own.

Last edited by sakimano; 07-23-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riegerman
As much as I like the V8 sound you have to agree though that the Audi V8 doesn't provide the punch or power that the V6T does the M3 V8. IMO the Audi V8 needs to step it up to compete with their own V6T and the BMW V8. I think this has been said many times is you can't compare your modded/tuned V8 to a Stock car. If the the stock V6T motor is tuned than it will again be no competition. If you pay the money to supercharge the V8 than it may beat a tuned V6T. Then the V6T owner can spend the same money on an upgraded supercharger/pulley and then again no competition.
The other guy was probably responding to your post earlier that you were hinting that us B8 owners are a bunch of biased fanboys.
yeah, the 4.2 S4 40 valve in stock form fails vs. an M3 V8 or RS4 V8 for a few reasons

1. tune
2. exhaust
3. intake manifold

the RS4 with a different 4.2 ironed out these problems, and developed another chunk of horsepower. That's what most of us focus on when modding our car...eradicating the 2.25-2.125" exhaust downpipes and catback in favour of 2.5"...and getting a tune to take advantage of the better flow. Throw a modified intake manifold into the mix and you're making a clean 400hp without thinking about it too hard.

The V6T has a great whack of torque that our engine does not. It motivates the car off the line very well, but as we've seen in the high end you guys need some help. That will come hopefully with a proper tune and good modifications.

p.s. if you JHM supercharge a V8 you'll beat a stage III B5 S4. This is nothing like a stock B8. As I have said a few times, a mildly modified B6/7 equals a B8. A full bolt on B6/7 beats a B8 pretty easily. Adding proper forced induction to the V8 means you're threatening the 11s in the quarter mile, not toying with 12.9-13.1. Very different. None of this matters as to a 'which is better' because the B8 when modded will also be awesome. I was referring to Volkl and NWS4's inability to understand the performance gains made by the B7 S4 with just exhaust and a tune. They questioned my car's ability to hang with a B8, even though I already did.

Last edited by sakimano; 07-23-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Sak,
Do yourself and us a favor and stick to your new personal playgruond over at the boards you mod, where you can have whatever rep you want. You are not adding anything here but negativity to what is usually an otherwise pretty nice forum.
NWS4guy...do yourself a favour and think before you speak. look at the bull**** you posted in this thread. Typical inflammatory bull**** with nothing to back it up. When you got owned for your misinformation, you went into this ^^^ 'I'm in charge around here' mode. Typical.

If you think you can ****-talk about me on other forums and not answer to it, you haven't been paying attention to my posts.

If you want to be a little byatch who pokes bears with sticks, don't get upset when one claws your face off.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 vs. Acura TL SH-AWD