S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi S4 vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

I did a search but couldn't find this discussed anywhere.

The Aug '10 issue of Automobile Magazine has a head-to-head comparison of the Audi S4 and the Acura TL SH-AWD, both in 6-spd manuals. They fully admit that most people wouldn't cross shop these two cars, but acknowledged how similar they are are in AWD design and overall execution.

I drove both cars back-to-back and really liked the way the S4 drove more, mostly because it is smaller and more nimble. That being said, it is hard to not notice the $11K+ price difference between the two cars if comparibly equipped. I can't even come up with a feature on the $55K S4 that isn't standard on the TL SH-AWD Tech.

Here is the article posted on another site:
http://sportscarforums.com/f11/autom...tml#post970683

Anyone else drive both cars and have an opinion? Again, I know that most buyers in the market for a S4 don't cross shop at an Acura dealer...
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Theres a whole comparison thread here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...azine-S4-vs-TL

FWIW, I actually had cross shopped the TL and the G37 before thinking about the S4. Had a deposit for order on the TL also but got that refunded. On a lease, the S4 wasnt terribly too much more and the insurance was less than the TL, so I went with it. The S4 had much more going for it in terms of my enjoyment factor and actual daily driver needs(folding rear seats?!?).
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I cross shopped them, too. At the end of the day, I couldn't deal with the hideous beak of a front end on the new Acura's. I also felt that the interior was more intuitive on the S4. Someone with ADD would go nuts in a TL Tech.

My supplier pricing helped bridge the gap, too. For me the front end was the deal breaker...in that price range you want to look at your car and say, "damn that's a sexy beast!" Just couldn't do that with the TL even if the driving experience were the same (which we know isn't the case).
Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I drove both

The only thing the TL has going for it is the price....you can basically get one at invoice for $39k (possibly less on a '10 as the '11s hit showrooms) and with special financing at .9% whereas with a similarly-equipped S4 at near MSRP, you're paying over $50k and Audi's advertised financing deal is 4.9% o_O

While they were somewhat comparable and both share the torque-vectoring rear diff, the S4 was a better place to be...material quality, noise levels (the TL exhaust note and road noise is much louder than the S4).

Performance-wise, the S4 is faster stock and will be much easier to modify, which you can even do under warranty with Stasis. A supercharger is under development for the TL which will give comparable or even greater than the S4, but goodbye warranty and good luck on reliability...and with the cost involved you could have just bought the S4.

An early mid-model refresh is expected on the TL early next year, supposedly driven by the public hating on the grill. In the meantime, if that is what's stopping your purchase, there is a pretty inexpensive aftermarket solution available.

For me, the things that would justify the extra cost of the Audi are the aftermarket performance potential, the silk nappa leather sport seats with leg bolsters, the fold-down rear seat passthrough, and the outstanding ergonomics. I also prefer the subtlety of the S4 to the Voltronesque "look at me" TL.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

One of the nice things on the TL is that you have full control to program the Navi system while the car is in motion (on the 6 spd manual only). Can you do that on a S4 too?

I don't generally do this myself while driving, but sometimes a passenger will set up the Nav directions or I will do it at a stop light.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyrob
One of the nice things on the TL is that you have full control to program the Navi system while the car is in motion (on the 6 spd manual only). Can you do that on a S4 too?

I don't generally do this myself while driving, but sometimes a passenger will set up the Nav directions or I will do it at a stop light.
Yup. If somebody tries to input text, it will give you a clickthrough warning but allow full control. Lexus (among others) who don't allow input while moving are phenomenally irritating.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also you have full control of the nav via voice commands. You can navigate to previously saved directory entries or you can spell out the information verbally. Works really well.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

Hey, how come nobody is saying that the S4 is a 13.5 second quarter mile car now? And that it runs to 60mph in 5.0 seconds? I guess only the good reviews get any thought.

I think this may also answer the OP's question on why nobody is discussing the article. As a subscriber I thought it was interesting as a comparison. The TL is the singlehandedly ugliest car on the road today, so comparing it to anything is almost a waste of time...do people actually buy that rhinocerous?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sak, your angle is played out. No one wants to respond to your baits, we are all happy with the B8 S4, it trounces most anything comparable to it. We know it's fast, we know it tracks well.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove both. I told the acura dealer that I had to try driving an S4 first and he basically told me I wouldn't be back after doing so.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 vs. Acura TL SH-AWD