S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi S4 Test Drive. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi screwed the B7 RS4 owners. Had them pay $70k+ for an R Car and then in 2010 brought out the B8 S4 with performance just a click below that of the RS4 for $20k less. Add a tune and you have RS4 performance without the carbon build up issue. Better chassis and Sport Dif as well.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Nogaro Blue a beautiful colour, but maybe you would find an S4 too soft if you want (real) M car dynamics? You'll need a RS for that. Still, if you like it and the price is good???

But the RS7 (I assume you are in US) is the only RS available, which sounds too big for your needs.

The RS3 is coming to the US next year, in sedan form just for the US, and with the new lighter weight aluminium block 2.5l 5 cylinder engine which will have 400hp. The current RS3 sportback is about to end production, for a 6 month hiatus.

Not sure why DrGP is convinced the next RS3 will not be as "sporty" as the M2. I don't think he has heard the current one

The usual RS vs M situation - the M2 has better steering, more adjustable chassis balance, whilst the RS3 has much better traction. The M2 will be faster on most tracks, the RS3 faster on most roads. Couple of videos below with the M2 on the track vs competitors, and it looks great. The second video has the driver ( a professional, so can repeat lap times unlike a journalist) being interviewed to talk about each car. What was funny was right at the end, the journalist (who is a good driver himself) asked the professional driver which car he would want to take home with him. And behind them it had started raining.

The new RS3 will have less front end weight, revised Haldex system. And hopefully they will add a locking diff.

It seems to me that the M2 might be the spiritual successor to your e46 M3 - took BMW long enough. I left following an e36, then e39 transition. If you don't need / value the Audi quattro traction benefits (xDrive can't steer, can't ride, can't handle), you'd probably prefer the M2 to anything short of an R8. But given you're keeping your M3, maybe it would be nice to have a different type of car as the second one?

https://youtu.be/VCyh8eLDVaw

https://youtu.be/YfBqKpl2IwY

and one for the road (another good driver):

Audi RS3 v BMW M2 v Mercedes-AMG A45 Comparison: Track Test
Oh yeah, I have watched these videos and have been reading about the M2 whenever something comes out. I 100% agree that the M2 seems to be a modern interpretation of the e46 M3. When I drove the m235i it was the first car I have ever tried that actually felt similar to my car. BMW hadn't done it for 15 years.

I have definitely considered the fact that buying an M2 would leave me with basically two of the same thing. The S4 does seem very appealing because it's a completely different car. 4 doors, plush interior, even being a different brand appeals to me because Ive driven nothing but BMW for over 11 years.

I ventured over to a Lexus dealership to check out the IS 350 F-Sport but I found it to be boring and bland with merely acceptable interior. The S4 handles very well, is fun to drive and has better interior than any BMW I have had.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Honestly you are better off with a 2017 A4 instead of a leftover 2015 S4.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by westwest888
What on Earth would make you say that? Wouldn't that be like choosing a new 3-series over slightly older M-car? The A4 is just a regular entry level Audi isn't it? The S4 did not feel "normal" or entry level in any way shape or form.

I would prefer to get more car for my money and get slightly older or used. Saves 10 - 30k for the same car.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Glisse;24824425]Nogaro Blue a beautiful colour, but maybe you would find an S4 too soft if you want (real) M car dynamics? You'll need a RS for that. Still, if you like it and the price is good???

Not sure why DrGP is convinced the next RS3 will not be as "sporty" as the M2. I don't think he has heard the current one

Sorry if I was unclear. Did not intend to say the M2 was sportier than the RS3. My intention was to indicate that the M2 would be sportier than an M4/M3.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-19-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by westwest888
WHY? The engine and transmissions on the B8 S4s are so superior to the B9 A4s. I'd personally buy a 2015 used S4 before a new 2017 S4. But that's just me.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
WHY? The engine and transmissions on the B8 S4s are so superior to the B9 A4s. I'd personally buy a 2015 used S4 before a new 2017 S4. But that's just me.
All the initial reviews B9 S4 reviews, even from the two anti-Audi publications in the UK, have been unanimous that the new engine provides a very tangible performance benefit across the board. And similar for handling. Varied responses on the ZF8 - but I would have far preferred an S tronic, no matter how rough it may have been at low speeds trundling through town.

Yet it also seems to be continuing the Audi direction of softening their S cars - less S, more refinement and comfort. Probably what suits the majority of potential buyers I guess. If you want sporty in the future, might have to be an RS.

I think that like you, the OP would prefer the more sporty and direct character of the B8 S4 given all he has said.

And whilst it is completely subjective, I don't much like the Lichte transitional design direction on the B9 platform models - too fussy, too contrived. Like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa
Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 AM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say there may be some details that we don't know about you/your scenario that may affect our recommendations, but as previously mentioned the S4 appears to have a large area of overlap with your M3. The interior IS quite nice and if there is any rain or snow then you'll love the AWD advantage.

I'd say it's time to taste your first Audi! I'm on my 4th, and feel the same about BMW as you are with Audi (I think).