S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi S4 Test Drive. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 Test Drive. Questions

Hey all,

I recently tested out a 2015 Audi S4 on a lot that was new old stock. The car was a special edition Nogaro Blue. I'm wondering what do you guys think of this special edition model? I thought it was really nice and really love Nogaro blue as well as the two toned, alcantara/leather Ricaro seats.

Is this special edition just advertising junk? Or will the car hold some extra value in the future?

Also, I'm not that familiar with Audi, I have always driven BMW's but they seem to have lost their way IMO. The last great car they made IMO was the e46 M3 which I have owned for about 8 years.

Since I plan to keep the M3 I think a 4 door would be a good option. What in your opinions would be the best to compliment some one who's used to the driving dynamics of an M3? I liked the S4 quite a bit but wonder what else Audi has to offer.

I don't want to marry the first girl I date so to speak.

I also have had my eye on the M2 and I am wondering if Audi has anything that would be along those lines. I guess I'm pretty much looking for either super sporty coupe or very sporty 4 door. Thoughts please.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

It's mostly advertising. Nogaro blue has a special historic place among enthusiasts. You may garner a higher resale value if you sell to somebody looking for the nogaro blue special edition.

As for how Audi stacks up against BMW.

E46 M3 --> B7 Audi S4 (previous generation, V8 engine), The B7 RS4 actually slotted in above the E46
E9x M3/4 --> B8/.5 Audi RS4/5 (current generation)
E9x 335 --> B8/.5 S4 (current generation)
M2 --> RS3

If you are looking for a super sporty coupe, that would be the RS5, but it's no longer produced. You may find some left over inventory.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
E9x 335 --> B8/.5 S4 (current generation)...
With no disrespect intended, the current generation S4 won EVERY comparison test with the E9x 335 from every source, from the day it was introduced, so I (and all of those other sources) disagree with your relative positioning of the 2 cars.

To the OP: The B8 S4 punches considerably above its weight, and in overall performance is about 1/2 way between the 335 and the E9x M3.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
With no disrespect intended, the current generation S4 won EVERY comparison test with the E9x 335 from every source, from the day it was introduced, so I (and all of those other sources) disagree with your relative positioning of the 2 cars.
I agree that the S4 is a better car than the 335, but that doesn't change the fact that Audi positions the S4 as a competitor to the 335, or the 335 is BMWs answer to the S4, however you prefer to look at it. With the B7 S4, Audi deliberately targeted the M3, but they no longer do that with the S models. The S models basically slot in with the top trim BMWs and the new AMG lite Mercedes models such as the Mercedes-AMG C43.

EDIT: Actually, to be more precise the S4 lines up with the 340 M-Sport. Haven't been keeping up with BMW, but the 335 is no longer made. At one point, I thought they had a Performance Package, too. BMW just floods the market with a gazillion of trims, I can't keep up anymore :-).

Last edited by superswiss; 06-14-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree that the S4 is a better car than the 335...
Understood. I had interpereted this...: "E9x 335 --> B8/.5 S4 (current generation)"

...to mean that you considered the 335 to be ">" (greater than) the S4. Seems that may not be what you meant.

EDIT: Actually, to be more precise the S4 lines up with the 340 M-Sport.... BMW just floods the market with a gazillion of trims, I can't keep up anymore :-).
Truth! :-)
Old 06-14-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Understood. I had interpereted this...: "E9x 335 --> B8/.5 S4 (current generation)"

...to mean that you considered the 335 to be ">" (greater than) the S4. Seems that may not be what you meant.
Nope, that's not what I meant. I meant E9x 335 equivalent to B8/.5 S4.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Nogaro SE is a special car. Very few made. Nogaro was a very popular B6/B7 color that was replaced by Sprint Blue in the B8. Neither Sprint or Nogaro had been available on the B8.5, much to the chagrin of many. (UNLESS you wanted to pay $2-3K extra for an Audi exclusive paint). The B8 S4 is a step beyond the E46 M3. The E92 335i had performance similar to the E46 M3. The s4 is a better car with better performance and a better daily driver. Plus , performance can be upgraded to that of the V8 M3 or better. with a tune and a pulley. The RS5 was supposed to be a performance upgrade , but it really was not up to par with the M3., especially for the cost. Audi has nothing like the M2. Rumors of an RS3 coming to America abound. However you can get a New M2 for about $53K , RS3 will be WAY over $60k if it ever gets to the US. M2 will be sportier.\ and will give you performance equal to or better than the current M4/M3 at $14k less. No AWD, no sunroof. Not that big of a back seat. It really depends on what you want/need.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-14-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, that's good stuff to know. Now I see why I enjoyed it so much. The car definitely does not feel like its size. I was looking around at RS4's and RS5's and it seems like those things are in very limited supply. There's very few for sale and the ones that are for sale are very expensive for their ages.

2007 for $30K+ what the heck? One person noted that only 2000 of the car came to the US. Talk about hard to come by.

Yes, the M2 is looking like a great car. Performance and handling on par or better than the M4 for much less. It seems like it's untouchable for the price point. I would like to see one in person and not wait 3 months to get it. They are crazy back ordered right now. I would want to wait until you can walk onto a lot, see it, feel it and buy it. Not this sight unseen, 3 month wait nonsense.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, RS are limited production. 2000 for the B7 RS4 sounds about right. The RS5 was ~1500/year for three years, but the last year wasn't a full year, so the total number is somewhere between 3000-4000 or a little above. I bought my RS5 sight unseen in 2013. Even did European Delivery, so the first time I actually drove one was the day I picked it up in Germany.

That's the name of the game with these cars at least initially. BMW dealers also have the habit of marking them up. Forget about buying an M2 at MSRP. I looked around for an M4 here and you can't find them on the lots, either.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Nogaro Blue a beautiful colour, but maybe you would find an S4 too soft if you want (real) M car dynamics? You'll need a RS for that. Still, if you like it and the price is good???

But the RS7 (I assume you are in US) is the only RS available, which sounds too big for your needs.

The RS3 is coming to the US next year, in sedan form just for the US, and with the new lighter weight aluminium block 2.5l 5 cylinder engine which will have 400hp. The current RS3 sportback is about to end production, for a 6 month hiatus.

Not sure why DrGP is convinced the next RS3 will not be as "sporty" as the M2. I don't think he has heard the current one

The usual RS vs M situation - the M2 has better steering, more adjustable chassis balance, whilst the RS3 has much better traction. The M2 will be faster on most tracks, the RS3 faster on most roads. Couple of videos below with the M2 on the track vs competitors, and it looks great. The second video has the driver ( a professional, so can repeat lap times unlike a journalist) being interviewed to talk about each car. What was funny was right at the end, the journalist (who is a good driver himself) asked the professional driver which car he would want to take home with him. And behind them it had started raining.

The new RS3 will have less front end weight, revised Haldex system. And hopefully they will add a locking diff.

It seems to me that the M2 might be the spiritual successor to your e46 M3 - took BMW long enough. I left following an e36, then e39 transition. If you don't need / value the Audi quattro traction benefits (xDrive can't steer, can't ride, can't handle), you'd probably prefer the M2 to anything short of an R8. But given you're keeping your M3, maybe it would be nice to have a different type of car as the second one?

and one for the road (another good driver):

Audi RS3 v BMW M2 v Mercedes-AMG A45 Comparison: Track Test

Quick Reply: Audi S4 Test Drive. Questions