S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????

Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????

Anyone else have this issue? My speediest results are @ 128kbps, average! I cannot even stream music to a single device in the car, so it's basically useless. Vehicle is a 2013 S4 - has anyone resolved this issue with the dealer via a MMI update of any kind? Already contacted Audi (indicated they couldn't' help, contact dealer) and T-Mobile Audi Connect support (who indicated I should see 1-2Mbp/s) on 3G...

Has anyone seen this kind of speed?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you determining the speed. I find it pretty slow but don't know how to check speed. I only use it for google searches and sending to car.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
How are you determining the speed. I find it pretty slow but don't know how to check speed. I only use it for google searches and sending to car.
What he said.....
Basically doesn't it depend on the coverage you're getting in your area via T-mobile? If yes, you know how spotty cell coverage can be but this is just my hunch.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
What he said.....
Basically doesn't it depend on the coverage you're getting in your area via T-mobile? If yes, you know how spotty cell coverage can be but this is just my hunch.
My 3G coverage is excellent - 5 bars, fairly consistently. That being said, I cannot even stream radio which is fairly low overhead. It will play 3-5 seconds of a song, pause for 10-15 seconds, play another 3-5 seconds, etc. Regardless of signal strength, the behavior is the same. I have used the speedtest app in various markets, locations, etc., and the results are identical - 128kbps down and 12kbps up: I've had horrible DSL connections that were faster! In fact, I think I've even had a modem that was faster. I used to work in the telecom/Internet/Networking industry and believe me, that's pathetic 3g wireless performance under most any circumstance when it's consistent. I could understand an occasional drop, but ALWAYS??? Nah...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
My 3G coverage is excellent - 5 bars, fairly consistently. That being said, I cannot even stream radio which is fairly low overhead. It will play 3-5 seconds of a song, pause for 10-15 seconds, play another 3-5 seconds, etc. Regardless of signal strength, the behavior is the same. I have used the speedtest app in various markets, locations, etc., and the results are identical - 128kbps down and 12kbps up: I've had horrible DSL connections that were faster! In fact, I think I've even had a modem that was faster. I used to work in the telecom/Internet/Networking industry and believe me, that's pathetic 3g wireless performance under most any circumstance when it's consistent. I could understand an occasional drop, but ALWAYS??? Nah...
Just a thought but having 5 bars isn't related to "data". That is for voice. Do you see a solid indicator on your smartphone that would indicate you're getting full 3G for data? For example, on my smartphone I can have full bars and have no issue with a voice call but on the other hand, the data feed can be poor. I can see this on my phone with an up and down arrow, not the bars.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

The speed tests over wifi are also dependent on the wifi connection. In other words, the 3G connection may be fine but the connection between the car and the device may not be working well for some reason. I know there can be a big difference in speed tests in my home if I am plugged into the gateway (Ethernet) vs. over wifi while I am sitting in front of the gateway vs. over wifi while in the next room, and have had similar results whether using DSL, Uverse or cable HSIA.

I have never used the wifi in my car but will try a speed test tomorrow so you at least have some type of comparison to your results.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
The speed tests over wifi are also dependent on the wifi connection. In other words, the 3G connection may be fine but the connection between the car and the device may not be working well for some reason. I know there can be a big difference in speed tests in my home if I am plugged into the gateway (Ethernet) vs. over wifi while I am sitting in front of the gateway vs. over wifi while in the next room, and have had similar results whether using DSL, Uverse or cable HSIA.

I have never used the wifi in my car but will try a speed test tomorrow so you at least have some type of comparison to your results.
Thanks Rick. Wifi connection was great, as was the 3G data connection (I believe). I will continue to check the latter, however.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I can't wait until we figure out how to swap out the data transceiver with a 4G unit.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I stream Pandora constantly in mine without issue. Might have a hardware issue? I've experienced what you noticed, but it is exceeding rare when my MMI reads 3g. Now when it drops to 2g, it's awful, and i usually turn off WiFi and just use my phone's signal. I don't think my MMI has ever been updated, I have one of the very first 2013s (July 2012.)

Last edited by slasher016; 05-07-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
I stream Pandora constantly in mine without issue. Might have a hardware issue? I've experienced what you noticed, but it is exceeding rare when my MMI reads 3g. Now when it drops to 2g, it's awful, and i usually turn off WiFi and just use my phone's signal. I don't think my MMI has ever been updated, I have one of the very first 2013s (July 2012.)
Thanks for this, Slasher. Can you do me a favor? Do you have an iPhone or Android? Download the Ookla Speedtest app and do a speed test when connected to in-car Wifi? Post the results. I would like to compare.... Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Connect - Speed AWFUL?????