S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ASP Tune for b8 s4

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP Tune for b8 s4

Hey guys, Was following another thread on audizine and quattroworld about asp tunings new 3.0t tune. heres a link to their website. I know the graphs don't match for the b8, but the numbers seem to be specified to the b8 chassis

http://www.speedport.us/S4_B8_30T.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...on-the-horizon
http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/33658.phtml
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Something about ASP doesn't seem like a good idea for some reason... Maybe it's their website that doesn't have security credentials my corporate network likes... Maybe it's the B7 S4 dyno below the B8 S4 numbers... Maybe it's the AZ comment about misfires and fouled cats on a B7 S4 tune, which should be pretty much a no-brainer... Maybe it's the rock bottom price... Not sure, but I wouldn't touch that tune with a 10 foot ECU!

PS - Sorry if this hurts any ASP lovers' feelings. I really don't know much about them, but from what I've heard recently, they might have had some past issues. They are probably a great bunch of guys. The Dr and BPP really seem to like them!

Last edited by jdgamble; 06-15-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: To not hurt DrGP and BPP feelings
Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jd gamble
Something about ASP doesn't seem like a good idea for some reason... Maybe it's their website that doesn't have security credentials my corporate network likes... Maybe it's the B7 S4 dyno below the B8 S4 numbers... Maybe it's the AZ comment about misfires and fouled cats on a B7 S4 tune, which should be pretty much a no-brainer... Maybe it's the rock bottom price... Not sure, but I wouldn't touch that tune with a 10 foot ECU!
FYI, you are entitled to your OPINION. BUT here is what I know. I personally accompanied bpp to ASP in December to leave his car as a beta unit. I met with Mark and found him to be EXTREMELY knowledgeable, competent and honest. A good guy as well. I also accompanied bpp back to ASP yesterday to pick his car back up. Project took longer than expected due to Mark insisting that everything be right and there was an initial problem with his dyno that he needed to have repaired. Initial dyno work was taken as a base line to serve as a control. Hp and TQ curves are different than other tunes reaching peak HP/TQ level very quickly. He also hase designed it to integrate with an ipad/pad app. with the app, you can change from 91 to 93 octane, choose a valet mode(170 hp max) or totally immobilize the car. He also has designed a pulley. But instead of making a smaller upper pulley for the SC unit , He has made a larger crank shaft pulley out of Alum that is 2 lbs lighter than OEM and not as visible to technicians. He also has a stock mode which actually needs to detune the car so that any Audi computer will not pick up readings that are above stock parameters. Mark has promised to post dyno logs in the near future. That is waht I know. more info to come. I personally would not have any problem having Mark work on my car or use his tune and pulley. In fact, I am considering having him do mine
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does the ecu have to be removed for the initial tune? Doesn't really specify anywhere on the website. Look forward to seeing some dyno numbers and reviews.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

DrGP, thanks for the information... Does bpp have a vagcom? If so would he be willing to take some logs and share the results... I would be glad to walk him through how to do it and what to log if he is not familar... Also, any chance he can hit a strip and make some passes so we can guage the tune? Thanks again for the information...
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by primetime
DrGP, thanks for the information... Does bpp have a vagcom? If so would he be willing to take some logs and share the results... I would be glad to walk him through how to do it and what to log if he is not familar... Also, any chance he can hit a strip and make some passes so we can guage the tune? Thanks again for the information...
bpp does not have a VAG. I am sure that there are a number of people in his area that do though.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CHAUCH
Does the ecu have to be removed for the initial tune? Doesn't really specify anywhere on the website. Look forward to seeing some dyno numbers and reviews.
that ASP web page thing is just a placeholder and has no real info in it yet. all first B8 S4 ECU flashes that I know of need to remove ECU for 1st flash.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdgamble
...maybe it's the fact that ASP are banned from Audiworld and Audizine?

Anyway, I'm IBTDA...In Before The Dragstrip Allergy.

I'm looking forward to hearing the first few ASP tuned/pullied cars' list of excuses for not hitting the dragstrip, even though Primetime is offering to pay for it.

Top excuses

1. 'this car wasn't made for the dragstrip'
Nobody is saying that it was. We use the dragstrip as a measurement device for straight line speed adders, which is what a pulley and tune are. The car wasn't made for the dyno either, but I'll bet dollars to donuts, they will RUSH to the dyno.

2. 'the dragstrip has too many variables'
Not really when you drive a quattro equipped Audi, especially if you have a DSG, especially if you have launch control. Got an MT6 car? No problem...even if you launch it like a stooge, your trap speed should be within 1.0 mph of a good driver, as long as you don't completely miss a shift (and since you don't do that on your way to work, I'm not going to accept hearing people say they did it on all their dragstrip passes to explain a poor result)...and the trap speed is what is telling us the story, power wise.

3. 'So-and-so is not a very good dragstrip driver'
You drive a DSG, quattro equipped Audi (65% of B8 drivers do anyway)...your lack of skills can't even *** this up so don't worry about it.

Last edited by sakimano; 06-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
that ASP web page thing is just a placeholder and has no real info in it yet. all first B8 S4 ECU flashes that I know of need to remove ECU for 1st flash.

Bruce
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrGP
He also has designed a pulley. But instead of making a smaller upper pulley for the SC unit , He has made a larger crank shaft pulley out of Alum that is 2 lbs lighter than OEM and not as visible to technicians.
that sounds great! That is unless you read your Audi history books.

Since you owned a B6 S4, you should remember this debacle. The ASP supercharger kit, proudly being shown off. Only problem? Major engine trouble. Why? Crank pulley design failure.

If you notice the B6/7 S4 crank pulley both stock and JHM in the pic below are weighted to externally balance the crank. JHM spent a fortune getting these made with absolutely perfect balance like the OEM part. Hundreds and hundreds sold, and they're all working beautifully.

ASP decided to skip that expense lol

Quick Reply: ASP Tune for b8 s4