S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Asking for help: small problem with seller on AudiWorld

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Asking for help: small problem with seller on AudiWorld

Hey everyone. Looking for a little bit of help from the community with a transaction gone wrong with a seller.

I bought a pair of brushed aluminum mirror caps for my S4 that the seller listed as having lane change assistant. Perfect! Those are the exact mirror caps I've been looking for. But, when they arrived they didn't have lane change assistant.

I contacted the seller and explained this to him. He keeps telling me that the integrated turn signal is lane change assistant. I keep telling him they are two different things. He doesn't understand the difference.

I'd like to point him to this thread so he can see that the other members of this forum also realize that the turn signal integrated into the mirrors is completely different and separate from lane change assistant.

Here's a pic of my current current mirrors with lane change assistant. I have a Prestige with Titanium Pkg. car so I have body-colored mirrors.

I purchase these brushed aluminum mirror caps because I've always wanted the OEM brushed aluminum caps. As you can see these don't have lane change assistant.

I feel like I'm losing my mind! Can someone please help me validate this so I'm not the only person trying to explain this to the seller?

Sorry for the long note! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by atombomb33; 12-21-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the lights sent to by the seller do not have lane change assist. Why not just point him toward the Audi website and online brochure - I'm sure they describe the lane change assist option?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting. You wouldn't believe how many Audi sites I've sent him, Audi pictures I've sent him, and everything else I've sent him. It's almost comical at this point. In the end I think he'll realize and agree to do the refund and I'll ship him back the mirrors. No harm, no foul. It's just up to this point he is refusing to refund and accept the mirrors back because he believes that the turn signal is lane change assistant. Like I said, it's almost comical at this point.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

You might consider using the same terminology Audi uses (Audi Side Assist) for the mirrors.

Perhaps that will help the seller understand what you want?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2010 S4 with lane change (side) assist. Your top body body colored mirror has it and it's very clearly visible (bright orange triangular shaped lights). The lower brushed aluminum one does not have it. Easy.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
You might consider using the same terminology Audi uses (Audi Side Assist) for the mirrors.

I was looking into it and, yes, the technical term is audi side assist. As a neutral party, I would say that I have frequently seen the term "lane change assist" and "audi side assist" used interchangeably and I interpret this to mean the optional package that includes the LEDs in the mirror house to warn you of a car in your blind spot, not the integrated turn signal. Is this no longer an option on the S4? I couldn't find it for our cars on the website; however I did find it as one of the A6 options.

http://models.audiusa.com/a6-sedan/options-packages
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Better...

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/t...t.browser.html
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451

The two terms "side assist" and "lane change assistant" are used interchangeably by Audi and Audi dealerships. They are the same thing. Here's a link to an Audi glossary where Audi uses the terms interchangeably in describing the feature. http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en/...t.browser.html

Here's a link to an Audi dealership's parts ordering database. Look at the navigation on the side and you'll notice they have "w/lane change assistant" and "w/o lane change assistant." That's what Audi calls the feature when looking at parts. http://www.audionlineparts.com/partl...11&catalogid=2

ECS also uses the same terminology: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-...irrors/Covers/

It's not that I'm trying to explain to him what I want. I already ordered the mirror caps and received them from the seller which the seller listed as having "lane change assistant." But, the mirror caps he sent me don't have lane change assistant. That's the issue with the transaction.

Last edited by atombomb33; 12-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Who is this member so we can all steer clear?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lloyd_Christmas
I was looking into it and, yes, the technical term is audi side assist. As a neutral party, I would say that I have frequently seen the term "lane change assist" and "audi side assist" used interchangeably and I interpret this to mean the optional package that includes the LEDs in the mirror house to warn you of a car in your blind spot, not the integrated turn signal. Is this no longer an option on the S4? I couldn't find it for our cars on the website; however I did find it as one of the A6 options.

http://models.audiusa.com/a6-sedan/options-packages
Thanks for confirming my main point - the seller's for-sale ad stated the mirror caps had lane change assistant and the mirror caps the seller sent to me don't have that feature (as shown in the picture in the first post).

Quick Reply: Asking for help: small problem with seller on AudiWorld