S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the "Low-Speed Audible Suspension Activity Sensor" - it's a feature, not a bug.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TSB???

Originally Posted by roosterkmc
Can you give us the TSB #?

RE: my outcome ... they tightened everything (the opposite of what the TSB says!). That didn't work. They eventually landed on replacing the left wheel bearings. Haven't driven it since then so will cross fingers ...

FWIW I had to revisit two times to reproduce the sound. That included driving it around to get it 'hot'.
I got my car back (they tightened everything back to spec and blamed it on my replacement brake pads - hawk performance ceremics which they installed for me). Suggested I should go back to stock and see if the noise comes back.

Anyway the noise disappeared for about a month and now I am hearing signs of it again. I saw a few posts about a TSB # to loosen the engine mounts... did anyone share this TSB #??? Are you still having the problem?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wow, how'd you do that?

Originally Posted by OHCGUY
Alas, the problem returned and could not be fixed. They offered me a brand new replacement car and I test drove it and 3 others only to find that they all had the same problem, Audi gladly repurchased my car... and then some, without any resistance! All 4's and 5 series had the same issue. 6 series and above was fine.
Where do you live? I'm amazed that you're able to get a new ride for this? For what it's worth - my issue has yet to return - it's been a-ok since they fixed. As next steps, they'd replace the entire front suspension BUT nobody wants that!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
I got my car back (they tightened everything back to spec and blamed it on my replacement brake pads - hawk performance ceremics which they installed for me). Suggested I should go back to stock and see if the noise comes back.

Anyway the noise disappeared for about a month and now I am hearing signs of it again. I saw a few posts about a TSB # to loosen the engine mounts... did anyone share this TSB #??? Are you still having the problem?
No, sorry, I don't have the TSB handy. What I do know is my guys spent lots of time talking with AoA tech support to figure this out.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, starting around 15K mi my 09 A4 had a clunking sound at low speed, particularly when going into a turn. I took it in and was able to reproduce it on a test drive with a tech. After checking everything, he discovered one of the engine/chassis bolts was not tightened to spec. He tightened it and the clunk went away with no recurrence through 49K miles when the car was traded in.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi55
Great news! Can you provide us with some info? The TSB number would help a lot. Thanks
Yes please... can we get the TSB?? I'm coming up on 80k and want to make sure nothing is wrong. I get a clunking sound once in a blue moon when backing into my driveway. (wheel cranked and going over a bump at slow speeds)

To be honest.. I've just ignored it up to now...
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
FWIW, starting around 15K mi my 09 A4 had a clunking sound at low speed, particularly when going into a turn. I took it in and was able to reproduce it on a test drive with a tech. After checking everything, he discovered one of the engine/chassis bolts was not tightened to spec. He tightened it and the clunk went away with no recurrence through 49K miles when the car was traded in.
Thanks. This was probably the most helpful post about this problem. I suspected it was a strut and mine only occurred in hot texas weather during low-speed turns with even a slight bump in the road..like pulling into my driveway.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

My clunking came back, but the dealer says they can't find anything wrong with the car. Its only happens in hot weather and when the car has been taken for a drive on the highway. I hear it most around slow turns and backing into the driveway. (basically bumpy conditions) Had them check the suspension and structs as well... said everything was fine. Maybe before the warranty is gone I'll have them look at the Engine/Chassis bolts...

They don't seem to want to do anything unless they can reproduce it. Problem is if you want to reproduce it the conditions have to be perfect. Hot weather and a good hard ride on the highway... =/

Might have to live with it I'm guessing
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TO407S4
My clunking came back, but the dealer says they can't find anything wrong with the car. Its only happens in hot weather and when the car has been taken for a drive on the highway. I hear it most around slow turns and backing into the driveway. (basically bumpy conditions) Had them check the suspension and structs as well... said everything was fine. Maybe before the warranty is gone I'll have them look at the Engine/Chassis bolts...

They don't seem to want to do anything unless they can reproduce it. Problem is if you want to reproduce it the conditions have to be perfect. Hot weather and a good hard ride on the highway... =/

Might have to live with it I'm guessing
Mine is exhibiting the exact same sounds under the same conditions. The dealer has heard the clunking but they cannot seem to find the cause. I'm taking the car in Monday for the 4th time. If I ever get a resolution I will make sure to post it here.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think hot weather makes it worse. Mine is noisy much of the time.

Find a speed bump somewhere and take the technician for a ride...back and forth over the speed bump.

Quick Reply: Anyone have clunking noise in their front suspension?