S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is anyne able to use the "Send to car" feature in Google Maps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Is anyne able to use the "Send to car" feature in Google Maps?

I created an account on https://my.audiusa.com/ and entered my VIN number and eventually received the car PIN number. I put the PIN number into the MMI and it said the number was valid. So far so good.

However when I try to do Send to Car in google maps, or using the send to car app on my phone, I get "Invalid account number" as a response. Is anybody able to use this feature? If so how did you get it working?

Registration and MMI setup instructions

Google send to car instructions

Send to car application
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When sending to the car are you sending to an email address of the number from the Audi website? I think it needs to be your email address from your google account. I can't do it from the google maps app on my iPhone but can do so through google maps in PC browser and Apple Map App together with Send to Car app. I can't remember exactly how I got everything going but am pretty sure the PIN from Audi is only entered in the car and sending is actually done to google account email. Not sure if that helps.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
When sending to the car are you sending to an email address of the number from the Audi website? I think it needs to be your email address from your google account. I can't do it from the google maps app on my iPhone but can do so through google maps in PC browser and Apple Map App together with Send to Car app. I can't remember exactly how I got everything going but am pretty sure the PIN from Audi is only entered in the car and sending is actually done to google account email. Not sure if that helps.
+1

Make sure you are sending from Google Maps using the email address associated with your myaudi account. I also cannot send from my iPhone -- only from Google maps on a PC browser.

Then when your in your car you have to ask for Online destinations under Destinations, and you should find the address you're looking for there.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I always assumed it is not so much "sent" to the car but more retrieved from the web by the MMI data system "online destinations" function. So you don't even need an app...just use phone browser to go to the website and input destination just like your first link instructions. I didn't think it worked like the Ford Sync system where you can truly send directions to the car. Perhaps like your other link states the A8 in Europe maybe has this send feature.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I always assumed it is not so much "sent" to the car but more retrieved from the web by the MMI data system "online destinations" function. So you don't even need an app...just use phone browser to go to the website and input destination just like your first link instructions. I didn't think it worked like the Ford Sync system where you can truly send directions to the car. Perhaps like your other link states the A8 in Europe maybe has this send feature.
I think you are technically sending the address to your online destinations, which are then retrieved by the car. You can either enter the address directly in the MyAudi website or send it there via Google Maps.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The problem with using a phone is Google automatically pulls up a mobile version web page when browsing which doesn't support Send to Car. On an iPhone, the best workaround is the "Send to Car" app.

And yes, the Google Send to Car must use the myAudi account email address. Be sure not to use the "send to email" option in Google maps. If successful on the Google map end, it should say destination was sent..
Is the myAudi destination seeing the entry sent from Google maps? Can you create a destination directly in myAudi? If yes, there could be an issue with the myAudi acct. It happened to me and I had to start over with a new email address as myAudi will not allow you to use an email that was previously associated with the VIN. My Send to Car and myAudi with Online Destinations in the car has worked well since.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I have been using the PIN and will try the email address instead.

Edit: yep that worked! Thanks guys!

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 01-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The "Send to Car" app works great.

Simple and what I like most is that you still use Google Maps on your phone and you simply click "share" from there, instead of text or email, there is a "send to car" icon. Nice and easy.

I had a little trouble initially, getting the MMI to recognize my VIN and code provided by the myaudi site. Called the help line on the my audi site and they reset it very quickly. 1 877-505-AUDI (2834)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.sendtocar

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/send...623123860?mt=8
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Now that I've used it a few times I'd say this feature needs more work. I often get strange data in the car because the data wasn't pasred properly. For example sometimes it puts the street address after the street name, or no numbers at all, and one time I just got a phone number and no location data at all. I noticed that it google searches the data and if there's a name then sometimes it finds it anyway through online destinations.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I believe you have to be using the "Classic" google maps, not the "new" google maps.

Quick Reply: Is anyne able to use the "Send to car" feature in Google Maps?